YZF Winter Spruce Up 2012

Well, I won't ever make this mistake again, I don't care who's riding! This is going to be a real chore now, for the two hours of enjoyment. Sometimes it just isn't worth the headache later on. I have the kerosene and scrub brushes ready to go. I'll be removing the forks and doing the head bearings as well. I need to find an All Ballz set of tapered bearings for the bike first. All the fork parts are here already so thats all set. Next Saturday I'll be pulling all the bodywork and wheels for a start.

Oh I hear you! Not worth it at all.

The head bearings are a royal pain to do on this bike. It was really hard to remove the bottom race from the steering stem and driving the races into place on the the frame was an exercise in patience. In comparison the ones on the Hawk were a half hour job...go figure.

And here's the "best" price on the kit:

Steering Bearing Kit Yamaha YZF750 YZF1000 YZF 750 1000 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 | eBay

Oh I hear you! Not worth it at all.

The head bearings are a royal pain to do on this bike. It was really hard to remove the bottom race from the steering stem and driving the races into place on the the frame was an exercise in patience. In comparison the ones on the Hawk were a half hour job...go figure.

And here's the "best" price on the kit:

Steering Bearing Kit Yamaha YZF750 YZF1000 YZF 750 1000 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 | eBay

Thanks T, I'm almost sure that I'm going to splurge and get the tool this time. I'm sure I can just Dremel the bottom race off the stem as we did over at Eric's house that time. I may freeze the frame races and heat the neck to facilitate entry. Of course as you know this is all speculation at this point and I'm sure it WON'T be easy! Haha! Thanks for the link to the bearing set. I have it saved.

Why did you not just use buckets of soapy water to clean the bike after you got home? Or better yet, put it on a trailer and haul it to the quarter wash and spray all that crap off?

Why did you not just use buckets of soapy water to clean the bike after you got home? Or better yet, put it on a trailer and haul it to the quarter wash and spray all that crap off?

It never rained that day. It was only heavy fog. When the ride was over, the bike didn't look that bad so I just locked her away. I got sick with a bad cold right after that and never made it back to the garage until a week or two later. Thats when I saw the condition she was in.

Wow Billy, I'm just seeing this thread for the first time. Holy crap that was bad. Good luck with the cleanup. I'm going to subscribe to this thread. That was even worse than what mine looked like after the flood. I'm sure mine needs some extra attention still even though I cleaned up everything I saw that needed it. I'll be watching to see what I missed.

It never rained that day. It was only heavy fog. When the ride was over, the bike didn't look that bad so I just locked her away. I got sick with a bad cold right after that and never made it back to the garage until a week or two later. Thats when I saw the condition she was in.

Ahhhh, gotcha.

My wife was visiting her parents for the last few days so I did my cleanup in the warmth. Shhhhhhh don't tell her. :spank2: Here it is after I finished and before I pushed it back into the garage.

IMG-20130120-00160.jpg

IMG-20130120-00161.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got downstairs to start breaking down the YZF this morning. I had to clean the garage first though. It seems that Richie doesn't have the same organization skills as his old man does. After just a simple oil change on his Acura, it took me a solid hour to clean up the mess!

So afterwards I laid down some poly on the floor to catch all the gunk and grime that I'm sure will be hiding behind the body panels.

IMG_4405_zpsc381bc70.jpg

After removing both Mid Panels and the Belly Pan, I bagged and labeled the hardware and hung the panels. Once I hit the bike with some light I was even more shocked to see what just "one" run on that fog ridden day did to everything.

IMG_4407_zps9081d65e.jpg

IMG_4408_zps60f4c9e7.jpg

IMG_4409_zps330a2322.jpg

It was sickening to see how much rust had accumulated on the headers. I'm hoping to God that it didn't ruin the ceramic coating. I'm not going to use any scotch brite or anything coarse on them.

I pulled the tail section off next, and aside from the rear wheel, chain, and swingarm, it wasn't too bad.
IMG_4410_zpsee912941.jpg

I pulled the rear hugger next and I'm sure it did a great job keeping the undertail cleaner than it would have been without it. Well worth the money.
IMG_4411_zps42e12b44.jpg

Rear wheel was pulled and wasn't as bad as it looked on the bike. The chain however is a total mess. I'm going to soak it good in kerosene, rinse it with a healthy dose of WD-40 to displace the Kero, and hope for the best. It only has 3K miles on it and I hope it's not damaged.
IMG_4412_zps18886a41.jpg

Rear wheel will have the Sprocket removed as well as the Brake Rotor and cleaned up good.
IMG_4413_zpsd822eca3.jpg

The swingarm and shock should clean up easily since it's not as bad as it was when I bought the bike.
IMG_4414_zpseb4eece4.jpg

That was all for today. I was hungry and had to get a bite to eat. I covered her up to keep any more dust to accumulate and called it a day.
IMG_4415_zps403c989c.jpg

Tomorrow I'll go down and start with all the scrubbing. I'll have some after shots posted here in the thread. Have a great day all!

After removing both Mid Panels and the Belly Pan, I bagged and labeled the hardware and hung the panels. Once I hit the bike with some light I was even more shocked to see what just "one" run on that fog ridden day did to everything.

IMG_4407_zps9081d65e.jpg

IMG_4408_zps60f4c9e7.jpg

IMG_4409_zps330a2322.jpg

Dang! I am amazed you stored it without cleaning it first! Does not seem like your normally anal self. ;) :poke:

Man!! You got your work cut out for ya Billy!!

Ugh! Don't I know it. I was going down today but it hasn't made it out of the 20's yet. I need to bring up all the bags of hardware to clean. I also need to make some kind of trough to soak the chain into. I'm happy that my Spark Plug Wrench from Great Britain came so I can finally get new plugs in her as well. Going to remove the forks and bring them upstairs to put new oil and seals. Lastly will be the Head Bearings. Gonna throw a set of Tapered into it now that she'll be broken down.

If it makes you feel any better. I started my ride this morning in the upper 30s. 35 miles in and I am stopping for my second cup of coffee to warm up. I did not dress for upper 30s or low 40s.

In other words, you can dress for it! Go for it. ;)

Back