You definitely want a full face helmet!

FPD1089

Issued 3/4 Arai helmets at work... Crashed on-duty... Fortunately no broken bones... Estimated 50mph slid and tumbled down a median... Ate some asphalt too! Lol

Face has healed real well... Some say I look better than before ;) Lol

Ouch! Glad you are healing well.

I can second your Full Face helmet suggestion. Back in 2005 I took 78 stitches in my face and lost a tooth during a crash while wearing a full face helmet! Anything less and I most likely would not have survived my 55MPH crash.

i don't trust the flip ups. idk really know why. just seems like it's got no stability, especially because half of it can move like that. i've never worn one, and don't know much about them so, i cn't really say these things for sure. they just seem that way to me.

i don't trust the flip ups. idk really know why. just seems like it's got no stability, especially because half of it can move like that. i've never worn one, and don't know much about them so, i cn't really say these things for sure. they just seem that way to me.

I bought a cheap HJC CL-Max flip-up a while back to try (it was like $40 on sale) and it was built well enough that I felt it could handle an impact. I ended up reselling it for $80 because it was too heavy, drafty and noisy.

Many of the new flip-ups are ECE certified and I believe Snell is starting to certify them as well; the quality ones seem to stand up well to impact in testing.

Regarding modular helmets. I had a Schuberth (sp?) modular helmet. It was heavy and a bit noisy, and it was pretty spendy as well. OTOH, when I came off my bike onto my head it worked just fine to protect me. The thing that was a problem was getting it off after the crash. The impact jammed the locking mechanism and I couldn't get it off just by releasing the strap, so I ended up banging on it with a fist until brute force made it release. Mind you, I was pretty concussed at the time, so not being able to get it off without opening it might just have been me at the time.

Yup - full-face only for me! In my off, I ended up face-first into the dirt - hard-dry-dirt and grass wedged in and under and around the front of my helmet, and between the visor. I shudder to think what my jaw would've been like un-protected.... :jaw drop:

I hope that heals quickly for you. I fully agree with the full helmet. I think my face would have been the same or slightly worse off if i hadn't had one when i offed many years ago. Good luck and keep it clean! :)

Get well soon. I hope you are back to normal in no time!

I got rid of my flip up just becuase I don't trust it. Replcaed my Nolan with a Shoei RF-1100 and never been happier.

I have a Zox flip up that I really liked. It was really nice being able to flip it up and talk without shouting at stops or have a sip of water. While pulling it off one day I bumble fingered it and it fell into gravel behind me. Picked it up and the plastic latch that holds one side down had broken from a 6' fall. It had landed right where the release latch is on the chin. Seeing the damage cured me of wanting to trust another flip up.

Ouch! Glad you are healing well.

I can second your Full Face helmet suggestion. Back in 2005 I took 78 stitches in my face and lost a tooth during a crash while wearing a full face helmet! Anything less and I most likely would not have survived my 55MPH crash.

HOLY **** ! Chicks dig scars, right? Any idea what caused the 78 stitches? Did you hit something besides pavement? Wow!

Heal up! I guess you'll be investing in a flip-up helmet instead now? What are your thoughts

That is a good question... Our agency, and myself, like Arai helmets. The flip up are definitely an option if I was offered. Unfortunately it isn't my call on what is issued.

That is a good question... Our agency, and myself, like Arai helmets. The flip up are definitely an option if I was offered. Unfortunately it isn't my call on what is issued.

That's crazy that you can't improve your gear above the standard; APD, Travis County Sheriff have a choice of bikes and gear. Most are on BMWs, and wear flip-ups.

Heck even in Iraq I let my Joe's buy personal gear, within reason.

That's crazy that you can't improve your gear above the standard; APD, Travis County Sheriff have a choice of bikes and gear. Most are on BMWs, and wear flip-ups.

Heck even in Iraq I let my Joe's buy personal gear, within reason.

i like when you army guys call them joes. makes me laugh for some reason. my buddy from philly was in the army and would say it all the time, i'm chuckling just thinking about it.

Back