Yoshimura TRC Carbon Fiber exhaust

RavenFZ1

The stock exhaust sound is... uninspiring... so I decided it was time to replace the heavy boat anchor. I wanted a deeper tone without being too loud on the highway and I'm pleased to report the Yoshi is just what I was looking for. Up to about 40mph or so, you can definitely hear the exhaust as you cruise along, but over 55mph wind noise is louder than the exhaust when cruising. I haven't even tried the included noise-reducing insert yet as the sound is not excessively loud even without it. See the before and after pics below.
IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

I was a bit worried at first after first installing the exhaust because I could feel a small exhaust leak at the bottom of the muffler. After further inspection and a call to Yoshi support (they are very helpful) to confirm my suspicion, it turns out it is just a small hole to drain condensation from the muffler and nothing to worry about.
IMG_1547.jpg

I didn't think the stock exhaust looked that bad until I saw it compared to the Yoshi... now I can't imagine ever having that ugly boat anchor back on the bike.

Nice lookin exhaust! Yes, definitely my top 3 exhausts for the FZ1 are:

1) My Mivv Suono
2) Yoshi TRC (in any color)
3) Akropovic Hex

I fitted the TRC in S/steel(won't perish like C/F) in conjunction with a K&N and a PC111.

The sound, especially the burble on a trailing throttle is gorgeous.:wow:

I fitted the TRC in S/steel(won't perish like C/F) in conjunction with a K&N and a PC111.

The sound, especially the burble on a trailing throttle is gorgeous.:wow:

Properly made carbon fiber systems won't "perish" for the life of the bike, and remember all of the yoshimura systems recommend repacking every 10k miles or so regardless of material. It is a great sounding system, and for the time being I'm enjoying the "burble" you speak of as well. That off-throttle burble is what others call "popping" and choose to eliminate by blocking/removing the AIS.

Newbie question - power

Hey - newbie here!

Just bought a new '09 FZ1 and got to the 600 mile mark. I've been lurking on this board for a few weeks now and I'm impressed by the Yoshi option for my bike. Another new FZ1 owner I ran into tells me that he heard that a power commander (or other box) is needed if you put an after-market pipe on. Is that true? If not, are there any other mods needed to the bike to simply replace the stock pipe with a Yoshi?

Also, I checked out the Copperdawg installation video for the exhaust change. Nicely done but what are the pro's/con's regarding removing the catalytic converter? I'm building a list of mod's I want to do over the Winter and buying the parts one at a time.

Thanks for your comments...

Hey - newbie here!

Just bought a new '09 FZ1 and got to the 600 mile mark. I've been lurking on this board for a few weeks now and I'm impressed by the Yoshi option for my bike. Another new FZ1 owner I ran into tells me that he heard that a power commander (or other box) is needed if you put an after-market pipe on. Is that true? If not, are there any other mods needed to the bike to simply replace the stock pipe with a Yoshi?

Also, I checked out the Copperdawg installation video for the exhaust change. Nicely done but what are the pro's/con's regarding removing the catalytic converter? I'm building a list of mod's I want to do over the Winter and buying the parts one at a time.

Thanks for your comments...

:welcome: and congrats!

No other mods are needed. You can swap out the exhaust. First, contact the local and state authorities and inquire about noise ordinance laws. Once you've settled that, you can put on the exhaust.

With the aftermarket can, you will have some popping and gurgling, almost a backfire on hard-decel unless you do the AIS block or removal.

Gutting the CAT will increase the airflow but also reduce back pressure. There are pros and cons to this mod and it is highly recommended that you have a Power Commander if you take the CAT out. Also, the popping and gurgling will be greatly increased.

My first two mods was a Two Bros can and the AIS blockoff. I still have the CAT and no PC. I've done the LARS airbox mod and the modded flies. Once I get the carb tune and sync the throttle bodies, I think I'll be happy for a while. Once I get the PC, I'll gut the cat at that time and install the PC with the Stage III map (if Andy says that is the correct one!)

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the feedback!

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to go with the Yoshi slip-on and leave the cat as is for now. I'm just getting into the mods game and will take it one step at a time.

Thanks again!

It is a great sounding system, and for the time being I'm enjoying the "burble" you speak of as well. That off-throttle burble is what others call "popping" and choose to eliminate by blocking/removing the AIS.

I wouldn't eliminate it, it sounds too good.

Unless you have the cops right behind you as you're going down a hill on a trailling throttle early in the morning :oops:

I wouldn't eliminate it, it sounds too good.

Unless you have the cops right behind you as you're going down a hill on a trailling throttle early in the morning :oops:

That "burble from time to time turns in to a loud back fire. Attention I prefer to to draw on me. :)

I did like the sound of it though. It is almost as though your bike is upset that you let of the throttle when it wanted to keep going hard.

That "burble from time to time turns in to a loud back fire. Attention I prefer to to draw on me. :)

I did like the sound of it though. It is almost as though your bike is upset that you let of the throttle when it wanted to keep going hard.

Indeed, this bike sings to me like no other has ever done.

A strange thing, usually after I've had a bike for a couple of years I'm bored with it and looking for the next one.

But not this bike, the more I ride it, the more I love it.

Back