Yet another Top Saddlery seat!

RavenFZ1

It can be difficult determining exactly how the seat will look using the Top Sellerie - Deluxe seats for motorcycles, petrol tank covers, tank bags and scooter leg covers [Rates for an order from : FRANCE] website. I read through the descriptions of the materials and was able to figure out how I wanted the seat made. I'm happy to say that it ended up looking exactly how I had hoped. I was impressed with the timeframe in which I received the seat as well (considering it is custom made and shipping from across the world). I placed the order on July 18th, it shipped on July 28th, and I received it on August 3rd.
I would like to thank FZ1inNH for his previous post about Top Saddlery in which he recommended ordering the seat "long" if you don't want to hug your crotch against the tank too tightly. I am 5'9" and about 180, and I definitely would not have wanted the rear of the seat any further forward. I also ordered it lowered as my heels were about an inch from the ground with the stock seat, I haven't had a chance to ride with it yet, but I'm hoping I'll be able to flat-foot it now. Now if this suffocating heat wave will just go away so I can take a nice, long ride!
Below are some pics, enjoy :tup:

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! Congrats! I take it you've not ridden on it yet? I wouldn't trade mine for any other seat out there. :tup: Looks great and a nice choice of colors to go with the bike. Is it the LONG version? Gel? Heated?

How comfy is it? Im wondering because the gel has settled in my seat and I will be looking for a new one during the winter months.

How comfy is it? Im wondering because the gel has settled in my seat and I will be looking for a new one during the winter months.

Mine is like sitting at home on the couch. I compare the standard seat to a park bench. I only ever stop now because I need fuel! :cloud9:

Its so tempting to spend the money for it but ill have to stick with the yamaha gel seat till i pay the bike off in the next year or so.

I hope to go for a nice ride after the heat dies down a little bit :sport12:
Here are the options for this seat:
Type 1 deluxe seat
YAMAHA FZ1 S [≥ 2006]

Model Year : 2009
Colors and materials
Front of seat : SEL085
Front strip : SEL003
Seats : SEL003
Strips : SEL085
Edging : SEL013
Stitching and embroiderery
3 cm stitching line : Grey
Lettering style : Contour des lettres seulement
Thread color : Grey
Text : FZ1
Designs on seats
Designs : no
Shape, Gel®, seat heater
Shape : long lowered
Gel® : front seat
Seat heaters : none
Base options
Choice : you lend me a base € 276,00 1 € 276,00
Deposit for base :
This amount wil be debited from your account in 45 days' time in the event of non-receipt of your base € 283,00 1 € 283,00
Order Total : € 276,00
Shipping charges : € 78,12
Amount due : € 354,12

where to get this marvelous seat?
how much isit?:sport12:

You can click the link in my first post to order a seat from Top Sellerie (Top Saddlery). The price varies depending on what options you choose. I chose to have my seat lowered and a gel insert for the front seat, so this added to the price. With shipping, my total was $460 US dollars and I have to send my stock seats back to them within 45 days (meaning another $60-100 in shipping costs).

On to my initial review! I just got back from a 70 mile ride and my butt is not numb and sore like it would normally be riding on the stock seat. I had a passenger for most of the ride and they said the rear seat was very comfortable as well. The seat was not quite the comfort level of my couch (not saying it was uncomfortable though!), but I imagine this is due to extra material being removed due to my request to have the seat lowered and gelled. The website states that the lowered seat removes 3cm... I would estimate that it ended up being closer to 1-2cm as I'm not really noticeably closer to being able to flat-foot... but I'm not far from it. As an added bonus, I think this seat really improves the looks of the bike as well.

Yeah, I think the lowering coupled with the gel makes it a bit more rigid to sit on. I used to have a gel seat but it did not last long at all. When a gel seat gets hot, it stays HOT for long into a ride. When a gel seat gets cold, it stays cold and gets very firm for a good portion of a ride. I did not like a gel seat at all. ;)

Yeah, I think the lowering coupled with the gel makes it a bit more rigid to sit on. I used to have a gel seat but it did not last long at all. When a gel seat gets hot, it stays HOT for long into a ride. When a gel seat gets cold, it stays cold and gets very firm for a good portion of a ride. I did not like a gel seat at all. ;)

Hopefully the gel will work out better for me than it did you. On a side note... what shipping service did you use to send your seats back to them and how much did it cost?

Hopefully the gel will work out better for me than it did you. On a side note... what shipping service did you use to send your seats back to them and how much did it cost?

I used FedEx and with insurance, it was $54.00 to return them. Unfortunately, it took a LONG time and I was charged the fee for not shipping them which they wouldn't credit back until the seats arrived, even though I faxed them proof that they were shipped. Mind you, I sent them out with only 15 of the 45 days allowed left. So, my advice is to ship them sooner than later. ;)

I do hope the gel works out for you but there is good news. If it does not, just remove the cover and replace the gel pad with a like amount of memory foam. Cheap, simple and easy to do! It really is a personal preference and while I hated it, you may find it to be perfect! But, you know know you have an easy out. :tup:

I used FedEx and with insurance, it was $54.00 to return them. Unfortunately, it took a LONG time and I was charged the fee for not shipping them which they wouldn't credit back until the seats arrived, even though I faxed them proof that they were shipped. Mind you, I sent them out with only 15 of the 45 days allowed left. So, my advice is to ship them sooner than later. ;)

I do hope the gel works out for you but there is good news. If it does not, just remove the cover and replace the gel pad with a like amount of memory foam. Cheap, simple and easy to do! It really is a personal preference and while I hated it, you may find it to be perfect! But, you know know you have an easy out. :tup:

Thanks for the advice on both counts! I have a FedEx account so I get good shipping rates with them. I already have the stock seats boxed up and ready to go, I'll probably drop them off at lunch today, which will hopefully give plenty of time for them to receive them before my 45 days are up.
Regarding the seat, I think the gel will work out for me... if not, at least I know it is easy to remedy! Do you know how thick the gel pad is that they put in the seat?

Thanks for the advice on both counts! I have a FedEx account so I get good shipping rates with them. I already have the stock seats boxed up and ready to go, I'll probably drop them off at lunch today, which will hopefully give plenty of time for them to receive them before my 45 days are up.
Regarding the seat, I think the gel will work out for me... if not, at least I know it is easy to remedy! Do you know how thick the gel pad is that they put in the seat?

NP! I think the gel is almost 1/2" thick so if you just go shave a slab off the wife's memory foam pillow and replace the cover, she'll never know! :D

You can minimize the gel heating up (since you live in a much warmer climate) by parking inside or in the shade as much as possible. Another option is to take a white towel and put some weights at the corners and lay it over the seat if you cannot find shade. Fits in a jacket pocket when not covering the seat. ;)

I'm not sure what the deal was with fedex, but they wanted $265 to ship the package!!! Guess I'll be checking with USPS tomorrow...

I'm not sure what the deal was with fedex, but they wanted $265 to ship the package!!! Guess I'll be checking with USPS tomorrow...

Ok, I have to apologize as I was mistaken. I sent it USPS. It was $54.90. $48.50 for shipping and $6.40 to insure it for $400.00 . I searched my Gmail and found the receipt and shipping information that I scanned to PDF to prove I mailed it to them.

Sorry!

Ok, I have to apologize as I was mistaken. I sent it USPS. It was $54.90. $48.50 for shipping and $6.40 to insure it for $400.00 . I searched my Gmail and found the receipt and shipping information that I scanned to PDF to prove I mailed it to them.

Sorry!

LOL, I'm sure the look of shock on my face was priceless when I saw $265 on the FedEx printout... I told her to cancel that shipment NOW. A couple more questions, did you use the box that you received the seats in, or did you use one of USPS's "flat-rate" type boxes? Do you know if the 45 days starts from when the order is placed, or when it is shipped, or when i received it?

Last edited:
I used a smaller box than what TS used and packed it will. The flat rate box will not apply as it is out of the country. And, I believe the 45 days was from the day the order was paid for/placed. When I received the seat, I had about 32 days left to get my seats to them.

Shipping ended up being $52 w/ insurance at the post office, MUCH better! I hope to go for another ride tonight to enjoy the new seats some more :D

I used a smaller box than what TS used and packed it will. The flat rate box will not apply as it is out of the country. And, I believe the 45 days was from the day the order was paid for/placed. When I received the seat, I had about 32 days left to get my seats to them.

Just an FYI...The USPS has Flat Rate Priority International Mail boxes as well. I've used them on a few occasions, but the sizes are rather small.

Someday, but in the meantime?

I'd love to do the Top Saddlery or even Sargent seat replacement, but need a low cost seating solution for now. Anyone used any of the seat cushions (eg. Airhawk) or sheepskin options?

frankly, why doesn't Yamaha just make a great seat to begin with?

Denver Den

Back