Yamaha's New Bolt

It's not a bad looking bike. The Bolt-R or something, actually has cool looking paint and shocks.

Kind of like an HD with suspension, brakes, and doesn't leak!

Oddly it has a TCI ignition, not a CDI ignition.

Yamaha also has a ton of aftermarket stuff for it too; lowering kits, saddles, chrome, leather pirate vests, etc.

View attachment 13589

I don't get cruisers at all .... I look at that bike and it looks like every other H-D and clone out there. I suppose cruiser owners say the same thing about sport bikes. I hope Yamaha sells a lot of them and gets back on track.

Billy, I thought the same thing when I saw it. Also Who allowed this to be a marketing video? They showed a music shop and at the end a guitar Headstock and never used a Yamaha Guitar? Why not? They could have used mine.

Its a cool consept to reach into the Bobber world with a production bike.
A 950cc at a good price point opens the door once again for new rider sales.

As for not getting cruisers keep in mind not all "cruisers" mirror a HD model.
There are many cruisers that are just called cruisers by catagory not necessarily because they are a V twin or look like a Harley.

I love my Cruiser, I will never switch back to a sportbike. To me this is more fun.

Billy, I thought the same thing when I saw it. Also Who allowed this to be a marketing video? They showed a music shop and at the end a guitar Headstock and never used a Yamaha Guitar? Why not? They could have used mine.

Its a cool consept to reach into the Bobber world with a production bike.
A 950cc at a good price point opens the door once again for new rider sales.

As for not getting cruisers keep in mind not all "cruisers" mirror a HD model.
There are many cruisers that are just called cruisers by catagory not necessarily because they are a V twin or look like a Harley.

I love my Cruiser, I will never switch back to a sportbike. To me this is more fun.

I agree that not all cruisers mirror an HD model. The V-Max created a category all it's own. :woot: However, I think we all have to see the glaring similarities between this Bolt and the HD 883. :blahblah: I wish them sales success. :cheerleader: I'd even test ride one, but I would never own one as my only bike.

I think the emulation of the HD, the reasonable price point and a few nice touches gives this a great chance to sell. They didn't even show a 'chick' riding it. (I don't think that would be wrong, but it might keep some of their target hipster males from buying it).

As far as the cheezy video, yeah...
  1. "I dress for a cafe racer, but don't ride one",
  2. "I hang out at a guitar shop, and it's so cool and very few people know about it",
  3. "I get coffee",
  4. "I back into every parking spot, just like the big boy cruiser HD cool guys do",
  5. "I have an outdoor lunch with a chick" (but can't give her a ride due to no back seat, which is good because I just got my license and I can't really handle a pillion (wait, I don't know what pillion means) yet",
  6. "I hang out with another douche that looks like he builds custom choppers, but we both want to ride this new bike from Yamaha (oops, Star) more than what his shop builds"
  7. "I wear a bandanna over my face at night because I prefer to 'juice' my bugs"

The exhaust look like a baby Warrior exhaust. :nana:
Anyway, it's something new from Yamaha (Star), so we know they haven't given up yet. Do they use a 950 v-twin in anything else? V-Star maybe? I figure it's not an all new engine. I like the FZ8, even though it's a bit redundant. The Raider and Stryker seem to be doing well. The Super Tenere... I want :drools: (or a KTM 990, I'd have to ride both). The 2013 FJR tweaks seem to add up to more than just the individual parts. (I also want :cloud9:). Yamaha may be approaching this economic down turn in a decent way. Kawasaki looks good with so many new models, but if they don't sell, they will be in trouble and I think their fit and finish is low. Honda has new models out and they look good, except maybe the CTX line.

Over all, I think this is a good move for Yamaha, but I don't have much excitement or interest on a personal level.

Standard edition is $7,990 and comes in Raven or Pearl White
img.jpg
img.jpg

The R-spec is $8,290 ($300 more than standard) with upgraded rear shocks (with remote reservoir) and special paint, either Camo Green or Matt Gray
img.jpg
img.jpg

I think I like the camo green the best, but I'd have to compare it to the matte gray to be sure. I'd think the $300 for the upgraded shocks, seat and paint would be worth it.

Read more about the Bolt and Bolt R-spec at Yamaha's site.

I wish Yamaha would build a bike that pays homage to one of their own. Say a 950cc parallel twin that looks like a bobbed or flat track XS 650. Modern electrics, brakes, etc. Or, build a similar machine around a 1200cc water cooled parallel twin. I know they have one of those engines but I'm not tall enough to ride it. Triumph is having pretty good success paying homage to themselves. That's all H-D knows how to do. Yamaha should give it a shot. Imitate your own legends, not somebody else's.

you guys don't have the xjr1300 over there? It's amazing, and HUGE, one of the few bikes made for bigger fellows , I almost bought one but the absence of wind protection made me choose the fizzy .

now this bolt ... cmon is it so hard to design something new? It's a sportster with a flimsy looking front end, I would fire the guy who approved this to production!
:2cents:

you guys don't have the xjr1300 over there? It's amazing, and HUGE, one of the few bikes made for bigger fellows , I almost bought one but the absence of wind protection made me choose the fizzy .

now this bolt ... cmon is it so hard to design something new? It's a sportster with a flimsy looking front end, I would fire the guy who approved this to production!
:2cents:

Nope, no XJR1300 in the States. I don't think I'd want it as my only bike, but I'd love to have one. I like it better than Honda's new retro CB1100.

I agree about the Bolt, but I think it will sell well in the US. It's like a FZ6R to the cruiser world. And I live in the cruiser world, that I can tell. :doh2:

Back