Yamaha XS400 project bike

fazer1sniper

Last weekend I picked up this old XS400. In contrast to the Streetfighters & Cafe type bikes I tent to resro-mod, I plan to get out of my comfort zone on this one.
01-17-113.jpg

01-17-1110.jpg

01-17-115.jpg

I don't plan on using much more than the motor and wiring harness and maybe any parts that can me modded.

memories

I had an older model of that bike, my first, a 1978. The older ones didn't have the cast passenger grab handle.

xs400.jpg

I am looking forward to this one. :popcorn:

Some XS's that I have been looking at. The bitter cold and a broken power steering on my truck have been slowing me down on getting started. Still brainstorming....

After fighting with my pick up for a few days, I was able to start tearing down, if not much else.
01-25-1112.jpg

01-25-117.jpg

This Tripple back-bone has GOTTA go, I'm not digging it.
01-25-114.jpg

I have 4 sets of forks to chose from right now. Still figuring what I'll end up using for forks and front wheel.
01-25-115.jpg

01-25-113.jpg

To save me a ton of paper work, I'm gonna use this this VIN off a old Kaw that the wife blew up.
01-25-118.jpg

More parts for my personal bone yard...
01-25-116.jpg

For some reason I find the HD tank completely funny. I can see some typical "new school" HD douche saying some thing along the lines of; "That is one fine piece of American made machinery you have there."

This is going to be fun. What a great bike for a project. :)

A friend of mine has a 78 XS400 he brought back from the dead. I got to ride it for a while and it's fun to scoot around on :)

For some reason I find the HD tank completely funny. I can see some typical "new school" HD douche saying some thing along the lines of; "That is one fine piece of American made machinery you have there."

As TEMPTING that it is to leave the HD tank as is, there is dents and damage on it and it will be fixed and painted. I know, I ruin the fun... Thinking of building covers for the yamaha marking, on the engine case, and see what happins.

You sir have a gift! While I wouldn't hesitate to change my oil or my spark plugs I really don't think I could rebuild a bike like you do. I just can't give up my netflix :D

My Saturday spent shopping for supplies was on only have successfull. Was able to get plenty of 1/8" plate and was able to get a strong peice of 1 1/4 MOD tube for the new backbone. Sadly no 1" for the hardtail. My dreams of having the back of the frame done before monday aint gonna happen.

Todays progress. Set in the fender, not quite straight and where I want it yet. Got the box built for where most of the electrical is gonna go & mocked it up to see how its gonna sit.
02-19-114-1.jpg

02-19-11.jpg

02-19-117.jpg

02-19-116.jpg

Spent today building the pan for under the seat and several scrapped ideas on building the seat. Think I got it nailed down on how to build it. Got one more day off before work so maybe I can sit on a real seat so I can start to brainstorm on foot controls.

Still no seat. 2 plans today that got tossed back into scap and spare parts. Work next 2 days. Maybe a new plan will come to me durring 2 12hr nite shifts as I go to work for a couple days. Got the fender partially mounted. I've built parts for bikes before, but this bike has been part after part... and more parts to be hand made. The frame was jusst the start of the work.
02-21-112.jpg

Back