Yamaha Top Case Carrier

mikeswe

I just finished mounting the rear top case carrier, the std Yamaha one. It puts the box kind of high up and far to the rear. But when I travel I like to have the option of an additional bag on the rear seat. The bike looks rather ugly with the rack on I think. Fortunately, it only takes 10-15 min to remove it, the only thing left then is the two mounting lugs sticking down. To remove them you have to remove the license plate bracket and undertray also.

554d1248805463-yamaha-top-case-carrier-jul28pic1.jpg

555d1248805493-yamaha-top-case-carrier-jul28pic6.jpg

556d1248805516-yamaha-top-case-carrier-jul28pic4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm... First Factory Rack I've seen... I'm used to the Givi....

But... since it doesn't take long to remove... it's nice to have that option... My Gen 1 Givi stuff is a pain to remove .... the top box mount and side case mounts... so... I always just leave it on... which looked really funny at the drag strip...

I tried soft luggage, but it was not for me. Just purchased a bigger day pack for those days when I have to carry more than the laptop/notebook/charger/misc.

remember, all the Europeans get access to many more cool things than the US. I'm just not sure I could have something sticking that far off the rear and high up -- but if I was doing more day trips and such, my opinion might change.

hmm... First Factory Rack I've seen... I'm used to the Givi....

But... since it doesn't take long to remove... it's nice to have that option... My Gen 1 Givi stuff is a pain to remove .... the top box mount and side case mounts... so... I always just leave it on... which looked really funny at the drag strip...

As for the strip, what did the others think of you beating them in the 1/4 -- you did beat some at least??

Adam

beat my opponents on 3 runs... 2 'busa's and a GSXR750.... but... the added weight in the rear meant that the front wasn't touching the ground... which track officials frown on... so... I got asked to leave.

I have also a plan, like others have done here, to mount the box baseplate where the rear seat sits. My plan is to remove the rubber pads the rear seat rests on, and use these four holes to mount two brackets, and the baseplate on top of that.

Well I agree that it's not the best looking bike with that luggage on there, but I'm sure it's quite handy. Also it looks like you can just keep off the carrier when not needed and use the base to mount something smaller.

It looks like this mod has a little side effect. Today I removed the whole box and carrier and went for a ride. Sure enough, the problem is gone.

The carrier/box makes the front unstable. I did a test like this, took the bike up to 100kmph (60mph) and then let go of the bars. When the speed went down to around 80kmph the handlebars started oscillating and it got worse and worse until I had to grab the bars to prevent a full-on "slapper". And the box only had max 1.5kg in it. Very strange. Today I did exactly the same test, around 80kmph there's just a little hint of oscillation but it goes away by itself. Imagine what will happen when the box is loaded with say 5-10kg of stuff. It looks like this bike is very sensitive to shift in weight distribution. Anyone else had the same experience?

yep. Mine does the same on my Gen 1... but... as long as I keep my hands on the bars... things are good.... I've had upwards of 35lbs in my sidecases... (yeah.. a big no-no) ... and it was fine for several hundred miles.. just a minor wobble for me... 1 hand on the bars is enough to keep things in check.

I guess it's not a big problem, as long as it's not getting worse with more load. Yamaha recommendation is max 5kg on the carrier. Convert that to lbs if you like ;) I have no idea how big a quarter pounder burger is.

Anyway I will have a go at plan B, to mount the baseplate on top of the rear seat area.

I did the plan B installation also. This turned out to be very nice. Much better if you don't ride with a passenger. I mounted two alu "U"-profiles in the holes where the rubber support for the rear seat sits. I used "cage nuts" which makes it easy to mount without need to counterhold the nut when you tighten the bolts. Add spacers or washers to have the right height/tilt. I covered the cargo area opening with a piece of plastic mat.

I did the plan B installation also. This turned out to be very nice. Much better if you don't ride with a passenger. I mounted two alu \\"U\\"-profiles in the holes where the rubber support for the rear seat sits. I used \\"cage nuts\\" which makes it easy to mount without need to counterhold the nut when you tighten the bolts. Add spacers or washers to have the right height/tilt. I covered the cargo area opening with a piece of plastic mat.

That looks really good. I bet it handles just fine now even when the carrier is loaded.

I as thinking about one of the Yamaha racks but was unsure about how it fitted.
Looked at the Givi racks but did not fancy having to trim the undertray to get it to fit.
Does the Yamaha rack bolt onto the 4 bolts holding the rear mudguard/numberplate hanger?

Do have to agree it does sit quite far back though :ugh:

Back