Yamaha Stryker

Looking to trade in the FZ1 for a bike that is better for the long trips but is still

• Total voters
Thanks for that info, very valuable as I have a bad lower back. This would kill me and make the ride less enjoyable. I may have to reconsider, I know I am asking for maybe the perfect bike but what I want is comfort, descent power ( so that it is fun to ride) and a good looking bike. Is there such a thing out there?????

I put about 700 miles on mine in 3 days last fall for bike week. I had no back problems at all. Like I posted earlier, the reach to the stock handlebars is what caused me discomfort. Once I changed the bars, all was good. Along the same lines, I changed the handlebars on my FZ1 as well. I don't think the wiring is internal on the Stryker handlebars so swapping them would be far easier. Lastly, Ultimate makes great seats for the Raider. I wonder if they'll come out with one for the Stryker. Go ride them. Even if you don't buy one, they're a blast to ride.

I rode close to 50 miles on mine (and although that is short) my back/neck were fine. In fact, the saleswoman was praising the more comfortable position.
Bikes are very individual things. Something that hurts one person's back may not hurt another person's back.
I strongly encourage you to go out and ride one. That is the only way to know for sure.

Last edited:
I will ride one for sure, as well as looking into the warrior and the raider. Like you say it all depends on the individual. Move the handle bars, change the seat maybe move pegs who knows. As I stated earlier it may be a while but I am more motivated to check one out and see for myself if it is something I will like.
Keep the info flowing it all helps towards an informed decision.:yes:

I will ride one for sure, as well as looking into the warrior and the raider. Like you say it all depends on the individual. Move the handle bars, change the seat maybe move pegs who knows. As I stated earlier it may be a while but I am more motivated to check one out and see for myself if it is something I will like.
Keep the info flowing it all helps towards an informed decision.:yes:

Yes I suggest you ride one as well, and if your like me and have a bad back, keep an eye out for bumps n such. As a new bike the Stryker's suspension is very stiff with little travel so it will jar you unexpectedly. Go for a good 15+ mile ride.

I recommend you try the VStar 1300 cruiser (same engine as the Stryker) and if possible the Honda Saber 1300. They are actual cruisers and the ride is much smoother and feel very nice to sit on. Plus side is they are very customizable. Lots of after market stuff for the VStar line up. Not so much ATM for the Stryker, a new model, but it is generating a lot of attention.

Last edited:
So I went to my local Yamaha dealer today just to see what they may have, it is real small dealership, maybe the size of a 10 car garage. Well to my surprise they had a Stryker sitting there. When I walked in the salesman asked if I still had the FZ1, I replied yes but I was looking for something a little more comfortable. I asked him to tell me all about the Stryker and he essentially said the same thing most of you said..hard on the back, feet out front is a different feeling etc...
Oh by the way he rides an FZ1 as well so he knew the bike I was coming from and what I would like. In the end he suggested that I look at the FJR 1300, he thought that this may fit the bill for me. Still sporty yet comfortable and good on the long trips.

So what can you guys tell me about the FJR???

Well, if you're considering a FJR, you should look at the Concours. It's a better bike. I disagree with the salesman. My Raider is a lot more comfortable than my FZ1. My Raider is my long distance ride. My FZ1 is my twisties toy.

I have to admit, If I were in the market for a cruiser I like the stryker and the raider..
I feel the fit for me would lean more toward the Stryker But I would want the Raiders power.
Either way they both look awsome.

So I have been thinking about getting a cruiser, slow things down a bit..once in a while. I have been looking around and well they all look alike (like Harleys), not what I want. They seem to all be big, clunky and as slow as a wheel barrel.

Have you thought about a Triumph America, Speedmaster or Thunderbird? If the V-Twin harley look isn't attractrive to you, a nice big inline twin could be the answer. The Triumph name and look is different but almost Harleyesque, as in it's classic British heritage. I have test rode the Speedmaster and it handles very good and has decent power (for a cruiser) and was comfortable, at least on the 20 minute test ride. I have been on-the-fence about getting one of these for a while.

Sorry, I haven't read this whole thread so forgive me if some one else has made this suggestion.

America_BlueCrystalWhite_RHS.jpg
SpeedMaster_Black_RHS.jpg

Thunderbird-Cranberry-RHS.jpg
Storm_MattBlack_RHS.jpg

If you have a bad back I think you are looking down the wrong road at 'cruiser' type bikes. The seating position is not conducive to back comfort or really long trips, and I can never get into the 'feet forward' position. They just aren't designed for that.

I've had an FJR and it is a lot more bike than an FZ1. It has a similar seating position but I found it no more comfortable than the FZ1 which I find is pretty neutral in its seating and comfort. Plus the FJR is heavier and has the bags, etc. which is fine if you need them but if you are just going for a day ride you don't need all that stuff.

You'll need to look outside of Yamaha if you want to improve on an FZ1's comfort and overall flexibility, imo.

If you have a bad back I think you are looking down the wrong road at 'cruiser' type bikes. The seating position is not conducive to back comfort or really long trips, and I can never get into the 'feet forward' position. They just aren't designed for that.

I've had an FJR and it is a lot more bike than an FZ1. It has a similar seating position but I found it no more comfortable than the FZ1 which I find is pretty neutral in its seating and comfort. Plus the FJR is heavier and has the bags, etc. which is fine if you need them but if you are just going for a day ride you don't need all that stuff.

You'll need to look outside of Yamaha if you want to improve on an FZ1's comfort and overall flexibility, imo.

Ditto! And if you put dirtbike type bars then it is awesome. I personally went with lower easton bars that look awesome too...

Don't get me wrong, the FZ1 does not hurt my back at all, only my butt hurts after about 2 hours on the bike. I know there are better seats you can buy but I think I am just looking for a new bike. Love the FZ1, it is a blast but something new appeals to me and I am trying to feel you guys out for suggestions.

Last edited:
Well the discussion is over. I came across a nice FJR at the local dealer and made him an offer I did not expect him to take, well he thought about it and called me back later saying he would accept. So I am now the new owner of a 2006 FJR. Took it for a very short ride yesterday and was quite pleased with the bike, nice power, handles well...does everything I want with comfort as well.
Here are the token pictures....

IMG_1935.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg

Thanks for all the info guys!!!

Love that blue! I've been considering a 2007 in the 'Black Cherry', but the price is too high. I'm sure you will enjoy many miles on her. Congrats! :thewave:

Back