Yamaha Stryker

Looking to trade in the FZ1 for a bike that is better for the long trips but is still

• Total voters

yamafz1

So I have been thinking about getting a cruiser, slow things down a bit..once in a while. I have been looking around and well they all look alike (like Harleys), not what I want. They seem to all be big, clunky and as slow as a wheel barrel. Well the other day I saw a picture of a Yamaha Stryker, seems like a good looking bike.
What I was wondering is if anyone here has one and if so if they could give me their impressions on them. They are new and have only been out for two years now so I don't personally know anyone with one and this forum provides a large selection of knowledgeable bike lovers. Opinions are most welcome and even other suggestions welcome as I don't have my heart set on the Stryker.

Oh ya here is a picture for those who don't know the bike I am talking about.

2012-Yamaha-Stryker-Exhaust.jpg

2011-Star-Stryker-profile.jpg

They look the same, what is the difference? Also how is the performance of your raider like in comparison to the fz1? I know there is no real comparison but is there a sense of blah when you ride it. I ask because I have never riden a cruiser of any type.

The Raider is a 1900. The performance is primarily torque but plenty of it. Its big though-750 lbs. It will stomp just about any cruiser out there. You'll piss all your Harley buddies off. You can't compare a cruiser to the FZ1 or any sport bike. I sold my Sortster and 02 FZ1 to buy the Raider but ended up buying another FZ1. I love my FZ1.

How are they for comfort, I did about 4 hour on my FZ1 on the weekend and I was quite sore. The gearing is really high for acceleration which in turn is causing some good vibrations right about at highway speed, not that enjoyable. That will have to be changed soon.

I had to change my handlebars. I had to reach too much. That seems to be a common theme. Its not real easy to do as it has internal wiring but I was able to do it. I would suggest you go test ride each of them. If you can find a leftover, you'll get a great deal. Thats what I did. I'm pretty partial to Yamaha though.

I think you could find a used or hold over Warrior cheaper (and I personally like them better, but you'll have to decide for yourself). I have ridden a Warrior and a Raider. I liked the Warrior better. I felt like it accelatered faster, but I don't think it really does. I think it has to do with the seating position and the way the G-forces act on you.

As far as the Stryker vs the Raider, I think Yamaha wanted to make a more affordable version of the Raider since that style seems to be popular now. The Raider is a 1900 and I think the Stryker is a 1300. You can easily tell them apart. The Raider has dual front discs and the Stryker has a single front disc brake.

I have also considered all 3 of these cruisers. The FZ1 just won't go slow. I won't get rid of the FZ1, but I would like to add to the stable.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide on! Pictures are a must, of course.

Just before the Hill Country Gather I put new tires on the FZ1 and while I was waiting - I was walking around the showroom. I saw a brand new Stryker and loved it. The saleswoman asked me if I wanted to take it for a test ride?
LOL
Yes!
Well I took it out for about a 20 minute drive and I loved it. It is a great cruiser. Nice and smooth on the highway and extremely comfortable. The only thing that took me a while to adjust to was putting my feet WAY forward and the slow, arching turns. It was no real problem to adjust to these things. By the end of the 20 minutes - I was extremely comfortable on this bike.
My overall impression is that its a fantastic bike. One thing I forgot to mention is how aggressive the clutch is when you accelerate. As soon as you start to feather the clutch handle - you are moving. It is really the best driving cruiser that I have driven. In fact, I was dead set on a Victory 8 Ball but now I'm not so sure.
I highly recommend that you go out and test drive one. These are very nice motorcycles. I think you will like them.

Last edited:
I am only in the early research phase right now, I won't be getting a new bike probably til next year so there won't be any pictures soon. Keep the info rolling in as it all helps.
However I have been known to be an impulse buyer when I like something and the price is right.
The nearest Yamaha dealer that may have one is about two hours away so it may even be a while before I get to see one up close, but it does sound like something to do on a nice weekend ride.

Get a MT01:evillaugh:

That MT01 is very interesting, but it didn't make it to North America. :disapproval: It gives you that big V-Twin motor, but not really the laid back riding position. It looks like it's more like the FZ1 as far as riding position. I might like it because I really don't like my feet kicked way out in front. Maybe that's why I like the Warrior better, it's not quite so raked out. (still pretty far forward though, but it does have R1 front brakes and inverted forks :))

Last edited:
I am only in the early research phase right now, I won't be getting a new bike probably til next year so there won't be any pictures soon. Keep the info rolling in as it all helps.
However I have been known to be an impulse buyer when I like something and the price is right.
The nearest Yamaha dealer that may have one is about two hours away so it may even be a while before I get to see one up close, but it does sound like something to do on a nice weekend ride.

Something else to consider.
There are a lot of aftermarket upgrades for this bike. That will give you the option to make the bike just the way you want it. You can individualize and customize a bike in any manor that you want.

Edit:

This is one of the things that caught my attention. I was going to get this swept away exhaust on a Victory 8 Ball

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=cust...50&tbnw=195&ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:22,s:75,i:74

Last edited:
I have a Raider and love it. I don't know anything about the Stryker but the fit, finish, and performance of my Raider is incredible. I post on a Raider forum. Below is the sister site for the Stryker. Good luck in your pursuit.

Yamaha Star Stryker Motorcycle Forum

I test rode a Raider last week and was impressed by how much I liked it. Big bike, but once it was moving it didn't feel so big and heavy.

However, I still prefer the Warrior if I was going to get a power cruiser...

You, like test ride bikes every week or so :D???

Man when I go to Americade every year I get at least 15-20 test rides depending on the weather. This year the rain hampered my efforts, but I still managed about 12 demo rides.

The most interesting were the Ducati Diavel, Honda CB1000R and the BMW S1000RR....

Been thinking of adding professional demo rider to my resume :D

LOL, So none of these rides have made you sell your bikes yet??

Unless I had a lot of money I didn't know what to do with I don't see myself buying a new bike from a dealer. Too many bargains out there. And right now I have four bikes so no need for any more (at least for now).

I test rode a Stryker (1300cc) the other day then I rode the Raider (1800cc) for about 35 min each.

First off the two bikes are technically not "cruisers" but are more chopper/cruiser.

Because of this they ride rough compared to a normal cruiser bags or no bags. Long distance would be hard on your back for sure. Other than that fact the only issue I had were the gear shifter and brake pedal placements. They were too close to the foot pegs. I wear a size 10 boot and am 5'8" and I had to scoop my toes between them to shift up( I mean lift my foot off the peg and scoop.) When my feet were resting on the pegs the ball of my feet were putting pressure on the shifter and brake. I'm sure you can alter those items but unaltered I won't get on another.

As far as power the 1300cc has PLENTY of it! Then swing your legs on the Raider and say a prayer before twisting the throttle. The Stryker is the IMHO the best bang for the buck but both are mainly for cruising with buddy's on a week night or weekend. Travel machines they are not unless your lower back is made of steel.

Amazing machines! Yamaha/Star has yet to let me down with the power trains.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, after you get going they are pretty agile and feel very light.

Last edited:
Back