Yamaha Quality Control and customer service!!..."WHAT A PITY"

I just bought a used 2006 FZ1 with 9,000km on it, so not to much mileage.
However the guy i bought the bike from had every nut and bolt spit polished and not a scratch on the bike. So I had very little hesitation to buy it.
After riding it for about a week, i was lubing my chain and notice the rear disc rubbed every time I spun the wheel....hmmmm?? Thinking the disc might be warped I inspected closer. After taking the wheel off the bike and spinning it on a static balance apparatus I realized that it wasn't the disc but it was the wheel itself. The center hub wasn't running true to the outer rim.
I measured the thicknesses of the center hub and found that the hub was so badly out of center to the outer rim that not only where the hub walls different thickness but that the finish on the hub was different in various spots (this would be right from the factory?) I thought. So off to my Yamaha dealership I go and show it to the professionals.
After showing the wheel to the mechanics at my local dealership they scratched their heads and said "never seen anything like this before". So they said we should go to Yamaha and get it covered under warranty because this would have happened at manufacturing. I of coarse agreed... :)
What do you think Yamaha had to say about that!?? Well I wasn't please to say the least! They not only told me over the phone that I damaged the rim, but also told me that it could never have happened from the factory because they have all these special tools, checks and balances that would never allow a defect like that to get through inspection. I said come and look at the rim..they said "no"....!! The dealership couldn't get the Yamaha service representative to come to look at it. Weird!?!?
I have owned in the neighborhood of 14 motorcycles and a lot of them have been Yamaha and I have always been happy with the quality and dependability, but now I'm not so sure.
I had to buy a new rim....that cost me $650 CAD...ridiculous!!!
Don't get me wrong, I love my FZ1, and I really loved my 2001 model, but I'm pissed that Yamaha is not standing behind this issue!!!
Anyone out there have any similar experiences with Yamaha service??
Thanks for listening!!!

wow. that's a new one on me... I've never even heard of anything like that before... I would think that Yamaha would have at least had you ship the wheel to them, and check it themselves for true-ness and to determine whether or not it actually was bent... I can see why Yamaha would think that it was bent, one would think that something like that would never make it out of the assembly plant. Do you still have the off-center wheel? If so, I would go ahead and ship it to Yamaha and see what they have to say.

Don't give up.

I have found that a little persistance gets results, and I'm stubborn to say the least. I would contact another Yamaha rep, even if I had to go directly to Yamaha Japan. With other Companies that I have had issues with, (and in truth it has not been many), When the head people get wind of a problem such as this they will make good so the problem goes away. I have owned nothing but Yamahas during my biking lifetime and this is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing.

That is unusual to say the least. The one big "unknown" here is the previous owner. I know you said that the bike looked like it was well taken care, but you never know what might or could have happened to it at some point to cause that issue.

That is unusual to say the least. The one big "unknown" here is the previous owner. I know you said that the bike looked like it was well taken care, but you never know what might or could have happened to it at some point to cause that issue.

+1

Also, is the bike actually still under warranty? If not I would still try like hell to get them to replace it but you can't hate them for not doing out of warranty. I hope you got a good enough deal on the bike that it does not hurt to much to buy that riim.

+1

Also, is the bike actually still under warranty? If not I would still try like hell to get them to replace it but you can't hate them for not doing out of warranty. I hope you got a good enough deal on the bike that it does not hurt to much to buy that riim.
:+2:
used= as is, unless your dealer will help you, your out in the cold

"persistence"

Your probably right........I do still have the damaged wheel, so I'm going to try again to get some out of warranty satisfaction. I would be happy even to got a portion of my costs covered, or some Yamaha dollars. Thanks for your replies!
Dan

Back