Yamaha gel seat

Etroze

Hey guys just wanted to say after going back and forth on what kind of seat to get i fnally went the cheap route and got the yamaha gel seat. Have it on there a week now did a 3 hour ride last night and man its way better then the stock seat. Im not a small guy 6' tall and over 200 lbs so my but is big the seat feels way wider so lot more support hope this helps anyone out looking for a new seat

Thanks for the feedback. The general consensus is that anything (Corbin, Sargent, Yamaha Gel Seat) is better than the stock one. The stock one looks painful just looking at it :lol:

Interesting how many different opinions folks have on these. I have the stock seat and did 300+ miles yesterday and it was fine. My friend has the Yamaha gel seat and couldn't stop complaining about it. Maybe the variety of size and shape of our rear ends makes a difference........:D No one size fits all.

Thanks for the feedback. The general consensus is that anything (Corbin, Sargent, Yamaha Gel Seat) is better than the stock one. The stock one looks painful just looking at it :lol:

Is it just me? I'm not that uncomfortable on the stock seat. I'll admit it, "looks painful just looking at it."

It did feel more uncomfortable when new, but now that it's broken in, It's not bad.
I just took a 300 mi. trip and felt comfortable most of the trip. I do plan on getting a custom seat, however, it's down the list of mods for now.

BTW, I'd design a seat with an elastomer shock absorber system. The seat has flex (at least in the back) and could sit on elastomer bumpers. I have a bicycle seat made by Selle San Marco-a serious saddle manufacturer-where the rails are suspended by Pirelli Elastomer material, and it really helps out with road chatter which causes fatigue.

Last edited:
I bought mine about two months ago after a 6000 mile ride to Arizona and back on the stock seat. I'm a lot smaller than you (5'6" and 150 lbs.) and after riding with the gel seat about 150 or so miles I was disapointed. I don't thi nk it's much better than the stocker. About the best aspect is that it doesn't look out of place on the bike and maybe that's more what they were shooting for. Glad it fits you better than me.

I'm coming off a Buell Ulysses with a big wide comfy seat to the FZ-1. When I first saw the seat, the first thing to come to mind was "Ill need to replace that ASAP!" However, I find I rarely even think about it when riding. I regularly do 300+ mile trips for work and I never feel sore afterwords. The stocker seems to fit my hind quarters nicely.

I got it through yamaha and i think it was like 200 bucks with tax. I did a couple of 300+ mile rides on the stocker and just couldnt take it anymore although i was taking a stop for fuel every 130 miles or so every time i got off the bike i just didn't want to get back on. the new one probably isn't any softer but from a support stand point for me its great. If you get do without the $200 dollar bill i would stick with the stock but the little fz1 logo on the gel seat is kinda neat :)

I have the Yamaha GYTR Gel Seat and the Stock Seat, I am 5'10" 170# and I really think the Stock Seat for me is better than the GYTR, for one thing you sit probably an inch lower with the stocker, which does not sound like much but for more aggressive sport riding that one inch makes a big difference.

I got the Sargent and find it better than stock but not perfect, although it's not broken in yet with only 400miles on it. I get a sore ass after about 200miles but less so than with the stocker which gave me a sore a.. after 100 miles or so. The Sargent is about an inch higher than stock but that's fine. It is wider than stock and is shaped more like a horse saddle which seems to be the reason why it is more comfortable for me. It is less slippery than stock and that's a plus too. I prefer the look of the Sargent as well. Butt..like anything else...to each is own bunn. (for the record I'm 5'7" and 165pds) Here's a pic

Unpardonable-- CORBIN FANNY TORTURE

Etrose, :doh2:You are right on, the Corbin is a PAIN - in the arse and the pocketbook. The thing looks good and has a great shape, but is a brick !!! I learned my lesson. -THE HARD WAY. You'll never regret the gel.

Last edited:
Yeah i did a lot of looking around just to pay twice as much for a corbin then the yamaha part didn't seem like a good idea plus if i really didn't like the part i could always take it back to the local dealer :woot:

The gel is more comfortable over the stock. My beef with the gel seats is this... when they are HOT, they stay HOT a long time! (Park in the shade as MUCH as possible). When they are COLD, they are hard as a brick and it takes many miles to get it warmed and pliable again plus it STAYS cold all those miles.

I'm very happy with the Top Saddlery seat without gel. It's a damned sofa on the bike! I ONLY have to stop for fuel now. :tup:

picture is worth....

I'm very happy with the Top Saddlery seat without gel. It's a damned sofa on the bike! I ONLY have to stop for fuel now. :tup:

I have not yet seen a picture of the Top Saddlery seat, how about a picture or 2.
I myself have the Yamaha Gel and like it. It does cook the jewels if you leave it parked in the sun, "Butt" otherwise I like it. The Sargent is almost the same looks-wise without the FZ-1 logo of the Yamaha part.

Well i guess i never really thought about the heating up and cooling part about the gel seat lol. It hasn't bothered me yet and i love the Top Saddlery seats i just couldn't afford the set at the time and needed something quick for longer rides

Very very nice seats by the way would love to have one with the red accents on it to match my bike

Back