Yamaha FZ8 Naked Bike - First Ride

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
They say: "Big-bike power with 600-class handling." We say: "One standard to rule them all!" Yamaha's website asserts that it has the most diverse lineup of any motorcycle manufacturer, but survey data shows that riders feel the "sport" category-that echelon between sport-tourers and pure sportbikes-is lacking.

More...

I agree that Yamaha Sport class doesn't offer as much as a few of the other Manufacturers. I was at the Detroit International Motorcycle show and in my opinion Kawasaki has the Best Broad range of bikes. They have a nice line-up of entry level bilkes, such as the Ninja 250 to the ZX14 or Concours. They have really gone after a broad range of riders. Will I ever buy a Kawasaki? I don't know. but I do like their lines on their bikes and direction they are heading. I Bleed Blue so it would take A LOT for me to leave Yamaha.

I'm also bleeding blue. I wouldn't ever leave Yamaha but there are models from each manufacturer out there that I'd park in the garage with the FZ1. I have a feeling that the FZ1 would still be the most ridden bike I own.

The FZ8 seems to have a lot of appealing features. I would have to simply try one out to understand if it all comes together and if it would make sense. Of course, bing on the FZ1, I wouldn't buy one but had these been available on the floor when I traded the FZ6, I might have given it a chance.

I was at the Vancouver MC show yesterday and they had the FZ8 and FZ1 side by side so I took the chance to compare seating positions. Myself and my friends all agreed that the FZ8 felt smaller, lighter and more compact compared to the FZ1. The ergonomics seemed a lot different between the bikes and it definitely felt like a totally different bike. I think it's great that the bike is not just a sleeved-down FZ1 like Kawasaki did with the Ninja 400R.

It's definitely got a unique look and feel and I hope it sells well, it's a great looking bike and I think ergonomically I would pick it over the current FZ1.

I had a test ride on the fz8, and it felt great, its a superb smooth machine.
But I do believe the power is lacking. Its hardly an improvement over the fz6 power wise.
I think it does look better though.

I think Yamaha can't make I4 engines with low end grunt and have full power too. If they have to do that then they have to sleeve down and detune their current offerings. For instance, FZ6 was a snatchy jerky FI machine with 98hp, FZ6 is super smooth 65 hp machine. They did it again with FZ1. FZ1 had the dreaded throttle snatch, made 148hp, FZ8 is torquey super smooth 105hp machine.

I think they got it right only with the FJR.

I also bleed blue, this is my 3rd Yamaha but I am seriously gaining a lot of respect for Kawasaki, Honda and Suzuki. They know how to build great handling, powerful machines with low end grunt.

For instance, FZ6 was a snatchy jerky FI machine with 98hp, FZ6 is super smooth 65 hp machine.

The FZ6R is what you are referring to I think and I agree, it was a very smooth, ridable machine. If the FZ8 is similar but with more punch, I think it will be a very nice bike. While it's all well and good to have 150hp on paper, I think I'd rather have less power more often

Last edited:
Back