Yamaha FZ1 Upgrades - FZ1 Flyer | This Old Bike

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes, things can come back to haunt you years down the road. Case in point: In our road test of the original Yamaha FZ1, Kento wrote in his SRO "Cool. When I get old , jus' gimme an FZ1, some soft luggage and I'm set." Now, 10 years later, Kent often moans about how old he feels and here is an FZ1 for him.

More...

This is a good example of how good a bike the FZ1 really is. Kind of like having an old Shelby Mustang. They may not be as quick or fast as the latest and greatest, but they are still a very strong machine and when kept in good and original condition, they will get a lot of looks and attention while keeping a big smile on the owner's face. What will we be saying in another decade?

I was SO EXCITED to see this article a few weeks ago. I was happy to see that my FZ1's previous owner made several of the same upgrades. I'd love to see 100k + on mine.

Whose Denise???

This is a good example of how good a bike the FZ1 really is. Kind of like having an old Shelby Mustang. They may not be as quick or fast as the latest and greatest, but they are still a very strong machine and when kept in good and original condition, they will get a lot of looks and attention while keeping a big smile on the owner's face. What will we be saying in another decade?

You'll be saying something about what a chore it is to keep under triple-digit speeds on open roads... ;^)

Sometimes, things can come back to haunt you years down the road. Case in point: In our road test of the original Yamaha FZ1, Kento wrote in his SRO "Cool. When I get old , jus' gimme an FZ1, some soft luggage and I'm set." Now, 10 years later, Kent often moans about how old he feels and here is an FZ1 for him.

More...
When I was a younger man every year or so there would be a different bike in the garage. I purchased my FZ1 gen2 about 10 years ago and found my perfect bike. We are now growing old together. Will be 70 in couple months and my FZ1 is the best therapy an old coot could have.

More...
When I was a younger man every year or so there would be a different bike in the garage. I purchased my FZ1 gen2 about 10 years ago and found my perfect bike. We are now growing old together. Will be 70 in couple months and my FZ1 is the best therapy an old coot could have.

I bought a new 2005 FZ1 in 2005 and rode it until mid 2012. Never a problem. I tried to keep the maintenance current and documented, and it was bullet-proof. Never a problem.

In 2012, I replaced it with a 2012. Again, bullet-proof... as long as no idiots do maintenance on it. Time/work pressures resulted in letting the Stealership do a valve adjustment. When I got it back, I suddenly had error codes flying. I had to redo all their work and fix their many mistakes. I fixed the issues they created, and all was good again. Then, I became the idiot and put a sleeve in backward changing the generator rotor.... Hoping to have that finally fixed today.

If you don't mess them up, FZ1s are the gold standard as far as I'm concerned! 17 years on two bikes, and no issues that weren't directly caused by poor wrenching. I've thought about a new bike, but I love my FZ1. I still kind of miss the old Gen I... Kind of wish I still had it. But the Gen II rocks as well. It would be cool to still have both.

"fast" this is more a human thing than a bike thing. any FZ1 (in correct condition) will go much faster than anyone really wants or needs to go. my 2004 is listed as 174 MPH top speed. it will do it very easily. but other than on a track i see NO reason to go that fast. i bought used, forget the year, but was still pre gen 2. now jan 2023. has been a very good bike, but the crap they water down our gasoline with has junked up my carbs. (sat due to a medical on me--not bike related).

I bought my 2004 new and still ride it a few thousand miles each warm season. I have ~76,000 miles on it and it still screams when it hit 7,000 RPM's or so. I bought a 2014 FZ09 to replace the Fz1 but guess what? That Fz1 is a keeper. (My dog likes it more too!)

I bought my '06 FZ1 brand new, and did the usual modifications to it. I've never dynoed it, but I think Ivan's test with similar mods works out to be about 151 WHP. Anyway, 165 top speed as RPM limited at 12,500.

Alexd

Best bike ever,love mine and if I'm still riding ten years from now I hope it's a fz1

Back