XT500C Restore or Motard?

Hi Ive got a near completely original XT500C in storage. My questions is do I restore it or do something like this?
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/261388/images/270820091221.jpg

The bike was originally my Late Fathers, was handed down to me when he gave up riding. I know some may view it as sacrilege but even Dad said after his first dirt ride "This this is too heavy for the dirt" Hence it lived out its days with as close to road tires as was available in its time. So I know he would have been proud to see it in either form.

I will second the restoration. That 'motard' looks sweet, but I usually lean toward a restoration over a super modded bike, plus with the nostalgia associated with your late father, I feel it is the right choice, but you must do what you think is right. :starwars:

Could you post a pic of the bike in it's current condition?
I need to see it before I can vote. Then I will understand what you are changing and visualize what you could change it into.....LOL....If that makes sense?:flash:

Yeah.. I kinda go along with the restoration.
You can always modify some other bike - with no meaning or harm. But there is only one of this bike. It was your father's. Not some bike you found on craigs list. The mods can go to any bike.

If you'll make it look something like the sumo in the pic you posted, I say motard.

I think of it this way: If I had passed on my old bike to my son to see what he will do with it, I'd want to see it again and say, "Holy $hit, that's bad ass!".

And that sumo in that pic is, indeed, bad ass!

Hi Ive got a near completely original XT500C in storage. My questions is do I restore it or do something like this?
270820091221.jpg

The bike was originally my Late Fathers, was handed down to me when he gave up riding. I know some may view it as sacrilege but even Dad said after his first dirt ride "This this is too heavy for the dirt" Hence it lived out its days with as close to road tires as was available in its time. So I know he would have been proud to see it in either form.

Motard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I usually like my bikes mostly stock, but I had a XT 500 for about 10 years. It was not very good offroad, in fact it could be very spooky at times in the dirt when pushed a little to hard. I like the motard look in that picture. I would think it would be much more enjoyable and useful as a motard myself.

Thanks I will restore but!!

Going up to my brothers farm next week. The bikes stored in a nice big garage there. I will take some pics. Still not decided, I might do both ie a full restore and then a mod that is fully reversible. With the exception of my Gear Pos Indicator, the FZ is plug and play on all mods using electrical connectors from Eastern Beaver or just bolt on. So I might just do both? Lots of used and new parts out there with the exception of the original exhaust which I need.:wilynily:

Back