Wrong way to enter a corner

eaglefrq

Had my second track day at Summit Point (Shenandoah Circuit) and I found the wrong way to enter a decreasing radius turn. :doh2:

I was at the top of the corkscrew on the 2nd session and I went into the 2nd "S" a little to hot (45 - 50mph) and went wide. I had rolled off the throttle and was on a maintenance throttle when I lost the rear end. No warning, slip, bounce, etc...I slid across the track and a big props to the guy behind me for avoiding me. He wound up in the grass also, but at least he stayed up and didn't have any damage. I talked to one of the rider coaches afterward and found out that turn is very slippery and you have to stay in tight.

The primary cause was MY ego (2nd track day, I know what I'm doing). Secondary causes were an unfamiliar track and cool weather making a slippery track.

Damage was fairly light and could have been worse. My foot was initially trapped under the bike at the start of the slide, but came free by pulling my boot off during the slide. Gear held up great with only some slight scrubbing on the leather and toe sliders.

Front fairing / Pazzo lever
Picture010.jpg

Rizoma barend
Picture011.jpg

Shogun slider / Tank dent
Picture012.jpg

Gilles rearset (peg, bearing, brake peg)
Picture013.jpg

Two Bros
Picture014.jpg

Grab bar
Picture015.jpg

Looks like I am going to be doing some shopping soon. After I got home and unloaded the bike, I figured out I also bent the bars.

I walked away and that's the most important part. I managed to get the bike fixed THANX to all the other riders who offered parts, tools and knowledge and encouragement to get back out there.

Glad you are OK Eagle. I suppose that is part of the reason we go to track days to find the limits and grow. Still a bummer though. Since it sounds like YOUR body came out OK, Can you tell us what you were wearing for riding/protective gear? Thanks

Glad you are OK Eagle. I suppose that is part of the reason we go to track days to find the limits and grow. Still a bummer though. Since it sounds like YOUR body came out OK, Can you tell us what you were wearing for riding/protective gear? Thanks

Teknic Chicane jacket
Teknic Mercury pants
A* SMX-5 boots
Held Gauntlet gloves
Scorpion EXO-700 helmet.

The only thing I wasn't wearing was my Knox armor shorts because the pants have padding. I wish I had the shorts on because I came off the bike onto my hip where there is no padding in the pants. Needless to say my hip is a little sore and I'm sure will bruise.

The shorts have CE armor in the hip/femur and tailbone area. I will not make that mistake again, and I will have the shorts on next time.

Well glad to hear you walked away from it relatively unhurt. As Norm said the bike can be fixed and it doesn't look all that bad, but I'm sure it wont be cheap to get it back to the same condition :(

The main things is your fine.
I also like the fact you know what you did wrong, learned from it, that's called experience. Sorry about the bike, it can be replaced, you can't so all well.

crash

in 2006 i rode my 06fz1 into the road at mile marker 4 parson browns corner right side of bike. Looks much like yours red also. My fault. got up it started right away and went back to the motel. I am glad you didnt have more damage and that you are ok.

Bike came away pretty decent, glad you aren't hurt. I am going to take this time to make a statement:

KEEP SPORT TOURING/TOURING TIRES OFF THE RACE TRACK!

The bikes that you see there are not running the latest and greatest rubber just because they like to spend money...take the hint guys.

Glad u're not hurt seriously.

I know exactly the feelings/emotions. I experienced the same when I lost my front on track (also due to slippery at end of day and too much confidence :blahblah:)
Damage to my bike was limited to scraped fairing, scraped crash protectors, bent brakepedal, broken right indicator and scraped exhaust. For now only repaired the brake pedal and right indicator.

http://www.998cc.org/forum/track-tech-riding-techniques/1031-1st-track-day-o-t-season.html

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii/1189-graves-frame-sliders.html

Bike came away pretty decent, glad you aren't hurt. I am going to take this time to make a statement:

KEEP SPORT TOURING/TOURING TIRES OFF THE RACE TRACK!

The bikes that you see there are not running the latest and greatest rubber just because they like to spend money...take the hint guys.

absolutely, plus also pay attention to the tire pressure before on the track...tires get warmer quicker than they do on the road

Yeah, I had talked to the tire guy and had my pressures correct. I had already done 1 session that morning and didn't have any problems with slipping.

We were almost done with the 2nd session when I went down. I just got over confident and wanted to push it a little harder.

I plan on replacing the parts needed to make sure the bike is safe and track ready and then after the season is over I will work on the cosmetics.

I plan on replacing the parts needed to make sure the bike is safe and track ready and then after the season is over I will work on the cosmetics.

Change the tires to something more track oriented ....
I have done two track days with stock Mich Pilot Road tires without any issues but I would never push hard on those tires.

Welp, sport touring rubber isn't going to give you the feedback before they check out...just WHAM! and your on the deck.

2 guys in this thread went down at the track, both on OEM sport touring rubber. I see a pattern.

Once again, I'm SO glad your bike came out easily fixable and you came out with no damage.

Welp, sport touring rubber isn't going to give you the feedback before they check out...just WHAM! and your on the deck.

2 guys in this thread went down at the track, both on OEM sport touring rubber. I see a pattern.

Once again, I'm SO glad your bike came out easily fixable and you came out with no damage.

I'm already looking at different tires. I saw a thread you had about the BT-016's, but haven't had a chance to read past the 1st page. How do you like them now that you've had them for a while? What do you think of them for the track?

Yep, took them to the track a few months ago, I have a thread with pics on the "other" forum about it. They performed well, I will use them on the track again without a doubt. And that was with a 130+ degree track surface temp that day...

I'm very happy that you weren't hurt bad. I guess the bike is just "stuff". For my two cents though, this example is a good indication of what happens when a bike set up for the street is asked to do what a bike that's set up for,the track does. If I was going to do the track thing I be getting a used bike I could modify and play with strickly at the track just to hone my skills. It doesn't have to be able to hit 130 MPH to learn how to ride well.

Im glad that the damage isn't any worse than it is, and that you are ok. Even with tires made for the track, if you overcook a corner and find yourself out in the marbles, there is a good chance you will be going down anyway, regardless of tire selection. Good news that you were able to learn a valuable lesson, and be able to walk away at the same time.

I haven't had the chance to do any track days but I'm running the 016's and I'm loving them to death. I probably have about 500 or so miles on them now and I'll definitely be buying another set after these are done. A few members have them including "VA" , CanonFuji, etc, and have nothing but good things to say about the grip and handling. I was running 020's before and the difference is like day and night. I was never able to keep up with CanonFuji on our local mountain before the 016's, but now he'll attest that I'm right with him all the way up and all the way down. At the price they are selling for per set, you can't beat em! I paid $239.00 shipped for the 120/180 combo.

Back