WOW WOW and WOW !

Two Wheels

Just did 400 miles (80 degress, sunny, no traffic) in the Southern Cali area on my 2008 RED ! I tell ya, the more and more the engine "breaks in" (I have 2,500 miles) the smoother it gets. I played with the suspension and that helped alot. What a great bike. Really. I can't wait to put on my Two Brothers slip on and a slightly taller Cee Bailey windshield.

I scraped pegs twice though ... The second time, I really grounded it. I know its not the intent of this bike, but just out of curiousity is there anyway to raise the pegs via aftermarket options to get that bit more lean angles ?

Also, I dont think so, but does the centerstand also hit when leaned over at aggressive angles ? Wonder if removing that would help.

In any case, what a smooth pull, in stock form mind you.

Glad to hear your having a blast. I do believe there are rearsets for the Gen2 bikes. I have a Gen1, but I am sure that I have seen posts for Aftermarket rearsets for the Gen2's. Secondly, no, I don't believe there is any clearance issues with the centerstand. If you drag that in a turn then you belong in Moto GP! Someone will chime in about the rearsets, just be patient. In the meantime, get out there and enjoy it! Billy.

Good to know, thanks. I was about to take off the center stand but it was all peds when I looked over at home.

Yeah ... not even close (obviously) to even club level but the FZ put even a few 600's to the task today through the twisties ! Man that bike pulls smooth ... I cant wait to drop that stock muff ...

argghh ... money !

You don't have to tell me about the bucks brother! Mods and upgrades can get pretty expensive. Check out the classifieds here and also at FZ1OA's forum. You can find great buys both here and there. I am a member to both and both sites are equally great. I just applied for a part time job at night at the local Walmart to fund some of my projects. It's rough but just take it slow. Remember that the bike is pretty awesome as is.

rearsets can be had, but they're not cheap by any means...

not to step in where not needed.... but look at your riding position... Just through my mental process here, I'm thinking ... 2008, engine not broken in... so, you're most likely on stock tires.... on the stock tires, you're not getting anywhere near the real potential of the bike.... dragging pegs already would have me believe that you're either counter leaning, or staying bolt upright on the seat....

Many many folks ride these machines at the track with the stock pegs, and have no problem with pegs dragging... I'd look at the body position while riding, and then have another look at those suspension settings.... there's no "I played with it" solution to suspension... the First step is getting the Static Sag correct. Next, get the dynamic(or rider Sag set.... I have a nice worksheet that helps in getting the proper measurements and verifying you have things set proper... it's not unheard of that you won't be able to get the correct Sag numbers on the stock suspension without an upgrade in the springs... I can tell you right now, that if you're over 200 lbs geared up, the suspension will never be right, until you change the springs.

After setting the Static and Dynamic Sag properly, you can then move on to the advanced settings... start off with the rebound and compression set in the middle position front and rear... then, gradually ride and make changes... it's best to do this over a section of road that you can repeat back to back to back to back until you feel the difference that the small adjustments are making...

Welcome to the forum... Enjoy the new bike... Let us know how getting the suspension sorted out goes...

Im definately not upright on the bike, I hang off quite a bit actually. But there is no doubt room for improvement. The only thing I can see is from my track day picks and having the instructors follow me or me follow them. I wonder if any of those riding schools would work. I have the books...

Its a good thought though and appreciate the heads up on the adjustable rear sets as well.... !

Im definately not upright on the bike, I hang off quite a bit actually. But there is no doubt room for improvement. The only thing I can see is from my track day picks and having the instructors follow me or me follow them. I wonder if any of those riding schools would work. I have the books...

Its a good thought though and appreciate the heads up on the adjustable rear sets as well.... !

Off the seat and dragging hardware? You need an R1. ;) :D Save the FZ1 for less aggressive riding. :Rockon:

Rhetorical question but I just have to ask... you've removed the feelers of course?

How about trying these for at least a bit more clearance?
633053376827666250main.jpg

Are the feelers the dangling items under the footpegs ? If yes, no I have not removed those ... thats whats dragging. how the heck can I remove those ? They're welded on ...

Are the feelers the dangling items under the footpegs ? If yes, no I have not removed those ... thats whats dragging. how the heck can I remove those ? They're welded on ...

Are you sure? I think they are screwed in so you can grab them with vise grips and twist. If not, hacksaw them off. :D

VA, i have a question about the Spring settings. I only weigh 185 and bought an 08 new, So the ride height and everything is still stock. I wonder if you have any advice on lowering or softening the suspension? I don't want to mess it up.?

Back