WOW.. need some help!!

ECUdoc

So, After about an hour of searching, i am still baffled.

The problem:

I bought my '08 second hand, and have driven it for about 1200 miles with no problems. However, I washed it the other day, and wasn't able to ride it untill maybe 2 days after the wash.

I did everything normal, went outside under patio, cranked the bike, went back inside to put helmet and jacket on and heard a sudden drop in idle. Not much, but enough to hear while inside. Now the bike runs EXTREMELY sluggish at nearly all rpms except above 8k. It also sounds different as well, more like a smaller bike or a 2 stroke. Nothing was changed on the bike recently except for an integrated taillight, but that would have no effect.

So, I come to you all and ask, what the hell is wrong with my bike :banghead:

Could water have gotten in somewhere to cause this? ANY and ALL help would be greatly appreciated, and if more info is needed, I will give.

Thanks so much everyone,

First thing to do is check the spark plugs and wires. Sometimes water will get down inside the boots while your washing it and may foul something up. From the way you decribe it, it sounds as if your not running on all cylinders. Start the bike and when it's hot enough, spray some water on the exhaust header pipes one at a time. The water should immediately boil off the pipe. If it doesn't then most likely that plug isn't firing. Just a start. Keep us updated.

Almost sounds like you've dropped a cylinder... it could be that water was in the plug pockets and one of the spark plugs cracked (or two?) and they are shorting out instead of igniting the fuel.

Pete (Hellgate) also have an issue and his turned out to be something in or around the stator. When he pulled the stator, the flywheel magnets were broken free and he had to replace the flywheel.

Start with the plugs first...

Okay, thanks guys Im gonna go try spraying water on the headers first, just to check, and if that doesn't tell me anything I will proceed from ther with checking the plugs/boots.

Thanks again and I will be back shortly with an update.

YEP.. one of the headers is def. not getting up to temp, so I guess my next step is spark plugs...

What spark plugs do you all recommend? part number maybe?

Last edited:
YEP.. one of the headers is def. not getting up to temp, so I guess my next step is spark plugs...

What spark plugs do you all recommend? part number maybe?

I'm not really sure if both generations use the same plug but just pull one and look at the number on it. Mine are NGK CR9E. Someone may be able to see if the GenII's are the same.

what did you wash your bike with I only use the water pressure from the in coming water pipe to my house not a pressure hose.The only problem I had after washing my bike was a sudden drop in temp everything was frozen stiff and could not fire it up lol as I didnt run the engine to dry out excesse moisture.tut tut

One thing to try is Honda polish or some other detail spray instead of washing form hose.Mine rarely gets hose washed.I'm with the other guys check plugs/wires

Back