Would not FIRE today

Sactown2008

After an evening on Battery Tender Jr, my 2008 FZ would not fire. It has been sitting under a cover in the driveway for a month. It has the original battery, but when I have charged it over night in the past it fires up (after 5 seconds of cranking).

The Reserve indicator on the Odometer says 11.2 miles on it. I put a gallon of gas in the tank, but all I did was drain the battery.

Any ideas?

Its been very cold in Sacramento for the last month, so no riding at 6am.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Hi when you turn ignition on can you hear fuel pump ? Also with cold weather might have killed your battery. It may be cranking over, but not fast enough to get bike to fire up. How long did it take to flatten battery hope this gives you some ideas cheers mate

did you treat your fuel before storing it?

Could be some bad fuel in the system, even with adding some you could have the bad fuel already in there and causing issues.

After an evening on Battery Tender Jr, my 2008 FZ would not fire. It has been sitting under a cover in the driveway for a month. It has the original battery, but when I have charged it over night in the past it fires up (after 5 seconds of cranking).

The Reserve indicator on the Odometer says 11.2 miles on it. I put a gallon of gas in the tank, but all I did was drain the battery.

Any ideas?

Its been very cold in Sacramento for the last month, so no riding at 6am.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:
yes,a new battery,you have done very well to have it last this long

Yes, on Fuel pump. I can hear it.

Hi when you turn ignition on can you hear fuel pump ? Also with cold weather might have killed your battery. It may be cranking over, but not fast enough to get bike to fire up. How long did it take to flatten battery hope this gives you some ideas cheers mate

It is the original battery, so I guess it time to shop.

Thanks everyone

Could be the battery, that said my is an original 2006 and the battery works still flawless even now when it is cold. I would head Dustins advise and first test if it works with another battery before bying a new one. The oem battery is really great I know several other riders which still use the original battery from 06-08 bikes but they all ride like me almost every day.

Good luck.

Turned the key and it fired right up!

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Let it sit overnight without the tender, if it won't start tomorrow it is certainly the battery. M/C batteries have very little reserve, I find it good policy to keep them on a tender at all times to prolong the life of the battery. I can usually get five years with proper care. Your's is probably toast.

A battery should hold a charge for month`s,if it will not start the bike after sitting for a week or two,it`s on it`s last leg`s and time to get a new one [also forget about buying the cheap junk ones]

Life in the Cold

My 08 not only has the original battery, but it no longer lives in the garage. It was pushed out by my new 69 El Camino. FZ1 now lives outside under a water proof cover in the backyard.

:surrender:

Maybe the original Yamaha battery just could NOT survive this last month of freezing mornings.

Most than likely the battery is shut. My FZ6R was doing the same thing before I change it. It takes a lot of juice to crank an engine and if the battery get under a certain voltage the ECu won't like it. 9V or so on a FAtlantic by example...

Next time it happen... bum start your bike. I got me out of trouble few time until I finally decide to buy a new battery.

Were'nt you going to justify keeping it by commuting to work?
Thats the best "tender". Im at 48K on my 07 with the original battery, and still goin strong.

Back