Would I be crazy....

Nice shiny black rims. And if you aren't out of pocket on any of it, then it seems reasonable if you want to try a new ride.

I forget who said but if you get off your ride and walk more than 5 steps without turning around and having to look at her, then she's the wrong ride for you.

Any chance you can test it first? Compared to the FZ1, you'll find the 800 lacking in a lot of ways... ;)

I'd only say you're crazy if you did not return the FZ1 to stock and market all your mods in the forum first. If you trade it with the mods, we'll have a blanket party, Army style.... :spank2: :tup:

Any chance you can test it first? Compared to the FZ1, you'll find the 800 lacking in a lot of ways... ;)

I am lacking in more ways than the VFR! ;) I really have changed my riding style and have zero interest in getting faster. Literally that desire is entirely gone. I have always loved the VFR and it may be slightly better suited to my riding style these days.

Still a hard choice. When I bought the FZ1 it came down to the VFR and the FZ1 and I went with the FZ1 primarily due to the price tag. FZ1 to date is still the best bike I have ever owned! ;)

Also still need to talk with the owner and see if he would even be interested. I have not even chatted with him. I might have to consign mine at the same shop and then see what the difference is.

Only if you dont leave us and still do mbom. lol. I agree with Eric on the test ride it would suck to not like it after you trade one you do like. It sure does look sweet.

Other than less power, the VFR motor is a superior lump (I think). It sounds absolutely amazing and there's power and response all over the place :blowing_kisses:

The one thing that I didn't like about the VFR was the weight and bulk of it. It was pretty cumbersome around town for my tastes and it felt like pig. It wasn't difficult to handle but I do like light, flickable bikes & that's why I went for the 919 instead. It's a different story when you're out on the road, at speed.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're more interested in leisure riding and touring Brad. If that is the case, have a good look at the VStrom 1000 as your all-around adventure/sport/touring ride. I'd say the Tenere but that is sooooo pricey!! A good used VStrom is a worthy bike to suit all needs.

I'm thinking about you when it comes to the smaller bikes because of load capacity for touring as well as charging capacity for gadgets, gear, etc... The bigger bikes more suit the long haul and have excess power when you load it to the max.

On the other hand, the smaller bike will be easier on gas and will just take more shifting to negotiate altitude changes under heavy load. And if you don't ever want the full compliment of gadgets and gear that require a high-output charging system, then this is the bike for you. All those really nice mods don't hurt either!

It comes down to personal choice and what is right for Brad. If it were me, I'd look for the bigger bike to be sure I had enough of everything to go on any trip I could possibly want. :tup:

The vfr is a sweet looking bike. A guy I ride with has one imo its sexier than the fz1 mabe not the 1n although the single sided swing arm is cool. He seems to be able to corner just as well as me.

The riding position looks like it is more forward. If you are comfortable with that - long rides might affect you - and you've always wanted one, what the heck, try it. It's not permanent. If you don't like it, you can change back. But you'll never know - and always wonder/lust if you don't, especially since it has been your choice for years.

I'm still kicking myself for not testing a VFR800 when I tested my FZ1. I knew I wanted the FZ1, but I'd always wanted to try out the VFR. I rode the FZ1 first and all other thoughts left my head for the rest of the week. :hook2:

It looks like it has some sweet mods on it. It looks a bit over valued for a 2006, but I don't know the market for the VFR. One nice thought is you'll always be able to find another FZ1 if you want to come back, you just may loose out on a little money. You could take the FZ1 back to stock for the trade and then all those mods would fit back on another FZ1 if you wanted or could be sold to make some money.

Good luck with your decision. I'd love to see some video of a test ride if that's possible. :popcorn:

I have had both bikes. I personally like the look of the VFR better. I really wanted to like the VFR but in the end I did not.

That VFR also has hard luggage which is really nice. At highway speeds I liked the ride of the VFR better. Driving the VFR in town to me was not very enjoyable, it was heavier and slower. I really enjoy the power that the FZ1 has compared to the VFR. I don't drive all out or anything close to that, however, in town the VFR seemed like a dog to me. The VFR dry weight is 480 lbs, the FZ1 dry weigh is 438 lbs. The ergonomics of the VFR as was mentioned earlier is more forward and can wear on your wrists on longer rides. The bike I had also had bar risers on it. Working on the VFR is more work because of the panels that are on the bike, most work will involve having to take those on and off all of the time.

I would suggest driving the VFR for an hour or two to see how you like it.

Best of luck in your decision.

Peter

Last edited:
The riding position looks like it is more forward. If you are comfortable with that - long rides might affect you - and you've always wanted one, what the heck, try it. It's not permanent. If you don't like it, you can change back. But you'll never know - and always wonder/lust if you don't, especially since it has been your choice for years.

He actually has some risers on the bars. Not sure how much they are raised. The stock VFR is definitely more leaned forward than the FZ1

Talked to the owner today. Just happens to be the shop owner as well and he always soups up his bikes. Anyway. I would have to consign my bike there at the shop and get the VFR when it sells. He is willing to work a bit of the deal on the bike and consignment fees.

Trying to get the wife's approval. ;)

I have a 2003 VFR 800 im selling to get a FZ1. I love the VFR but as mentioned before the lean angle hurts my wrists after 45-60 minutes of riding even with bar risers. It is top heavy at lower speeds and feels heavy under braking in a corner (to me anyways). At 80+ mph its smooth as silk and could stay there all day.
The VTEC engine has plenty power and smooth with no vibs. To me the styling is a little dated.
Im looking forward to the FZ1

Jeff
:Rockon:

Back