Worth changing shock for street riding?

If you don't have $800 to spare or don't want to spend that kind of money on a $3,000 bike, install a R6 shock. They work great and you can always buy the high dollar shock later if you wish.

http://www.998cc.org/forum/suspension/10626-cant-afford-onlins-penske-so-my-version.html

Thanks Dave - you beat me to it.
You can pick up an R6 shock for under $100 and the people who I have spoken to swear by this upgrade. They say that it is night/day difference. I paid about $60 for mine and that was on the higher end because it looked brand new and had less than 1K miles on it. Be sure that you buy the correct year on that. It's only 07 and up that will fit our bikes. There are a lot of sellers who do not post the year on Ebay and say all the shocks will fit. Don't fall for that. It's not true.
I have just bought the R6 shock but I have not installed it yet. I will post up when I do and maybe even do some pics but there everyone say there is not too much to it.
A guy on the OA forums sells a "R6 shock upgrade kit" where he puts everything together for you. His name is Dean and he is pretty good to do business with.

Edit:
If you choose to do the R6 upgrade - here are some pics to help you select one. Like I said - there are a lot of venders out there saying that all the R6 shocks are the same. NOT TRUE!!!
This is the one you want:
R6CORRECT.jpg

You will have to drill the upper bushings from 10mm to 12 mm. Stock bolts will work. Then you will have to add some dogbones because this will lower your bike a little. You can get the dogbones really cheap. Here is a good site to pick them up but this is just one site.
TkStunts

THIS IS THE WRONG SHOCK!!!!!!!!!

R6WRONG.jpg

So be sure to buy an 07 and up model if you decide to roll on your own.

Last edited:
Back