wiring in a usb connector?

Hi ive wired in a usb connector and mounted to the side of the dash and all works fine as its wired direct to battery with a inline fuse, however ive noticed it does pull volts from the battery so id like to wire it to a switched live so it only works with the ign on - trouble is where can i wire it under the seat somewhere hope you guys can point me in the right direction? Bike is a FZ!n 2008 ABS many thanks

What voltage are you running this on?

I wired my 12V marine-grade power outlet to the front signal using the black ground and the blue running light HOT wire. On and off with the key. I use the small USB charger that you drop into the ciggy adapter socket.

I have power outlets (12V and usb) and heated grips wired through a relay, that's the way to do it properly. You can place the relay close to the battery (put an inline fuse to the relay) and get the switch signal from the license plate light (tap in with a splice quick connector) and everything will be fine. In case you want to run more equippment through the relay it is good to use the right wire size (depends on the length of the cable 16 should be fine for 10 A if not longer than 1.5m) but you can always check that in a table. Another good tip is to use another inline fuse for each power outlet, that is adjusted to the max power to be drawn from this outlet (naturally this is much lower compared to the fuse before the relay) so you do not burn up any of your cables. the fuses should be as close to the battery (or relay for the fuses of each power outlet).

If you plan to do any further expansion from an electrical standpoint (heated gear outlet, grips, additional charging ports, etc) look into putting in some sort of fuse block to keep things clean. I had a "Fuzeblock FZ1" on my old bike, and will probably go with another when I get around to adding more accessories to the new one. Many other users have built their own. I like the advantage of the FZ1 that you can easily change something from always-on to switched.

For anything switched with the ignition, you definitely want to go with a relay, like Dreamdemon said.

What voltage are you running this on?

I wired my 12V marine-grade power outlet to the front signal using the black ground and the blue running light HOT wire. On and off with the key. I use the small USB charger that you drop into the ciggy adapter socket.

I have my set up the same for my GPS and phone power supplies. Low draw devices only, no heated grips or suits.

Only problem I had was an intermitent short due to a quick splice connector. A quick pinch relieved the problem.

Back