Wireless Charging

I use my "smart" phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) a lot on my bike. It streams music, provides navigation, and lets me receive phone calls. I recently added a RAM mount to the bike, and it's been awesome for holding the phone where I can see it for navigation purposes on long trips. Because I use it so much, I plug it in pretty much every time I get on the bike.

Near the end of a recent 1250+ mile trip, I noticed that the USB cord wasn't as securely plugged into the phone as it had been in the beginning. It was a good cord, and there was no reason for it to be slipping out. The phone was beeping at me occasionally as the power connection was intermittently broken. I know that this is terrible for the battery, so I decided to do something about it.

Today my solution came in the mail. I bought an [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C6VP03I"]LG WCP-300[/ame] Wireless charging station and a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BCC2B1Q"]QI standard receiver tag[/ame] for my phone. Total cost was about $63. I selected the LG because of its size. It's just a tiny bit narrower than my phone, and fits inside the limits of the RAM mount.

Now, when I place my phone in the mount, it's automatically charging. I don't have to plug in any wires, which means I'm not putting any stress on the charging plug. The LG is held in place by double sided tape, and the cord is zip-tied to keep it from moving around. The whole setup is switched with my ignition (thanks to the Fuze-Block that I installed shortly after I bought the bike), so there's no unnecessary drain on the battery.

For me, this is an ideal solution. My phone still charges every time I get on the bike, but I don't have to mess with (or remember!) any wires. I'm pretty sure there is some magic involved in this wireless charging stuff, but I don't mind.

I like your idea. I'm all about creating fun projects. But it almost seems a little too busy on the bars for my tastes. I stick with my GPS mounted on my Windscreen. I tried the smartphone route but the screen was too small to see at speed and I couldn't change the route with my gloves on. Let us know how it works out for you.

No busier than just having the phone mounted there. The phone sits on top of that charging disc, so the disc isn't visible when riding. I've been using the phone (or its predecessor) for a couple of years. Combined with my Sena SMH 10, it works great. Looking at the mount, I may have to build some spacers to fill the gap on the sides of the disc, but my primary motivation was stopping the wear and tear on the charging port of the phone, and this does the job.

Well then I'm sold! Have you found any other accessories that you can utilise wirelessly? Is the charge time about the same as a hardwire? And last how well do you think it will hold up in the long run?

Well then I'm sold! Have you found any other accessories that you can utilise wirelessly?
No, but I haven't looked for anything. Since I use my phone for so much on my bike, keeping it charged was my high priority. This approach has proven to work well. My biggest complaint is the thickness of the puck.
Is the charge time about the same as a hardwire?
Yes, seems to be comparable. One thing I noticed is that the wireless "receiver" is labelled 700ma. This means that it doesn't work when plugged into a regular USB port. My power supply is a DC-USB "cigar lighter" adapter and it has a tablet port that provides higher amperage (2.1ma, if I recall correctly)[/QUOTE]
And last how well do you think it will hold up in the long run?
I'm a little concerned about weather. I need to find a way to waterproof it. I don't have any problems riding in the rain personally, but the way I have it mounted it's tough (impossible) to remove quickly.

That stuff is amazing! I was following another company that was supposed to make the same thing, but they never made anything retail. This place seems to only do "Industrial Use" -- but that's better than the "vaporware" that the other place was advertising. If I could put my hands on some of this, I'd consider coating my rain gear, tank bag, and the wireless charger! The only down-side is that it discolors (slightly whitens) the object/material to which it's applied.

This thread had me thinking about how much power the charger pulled. I hooked up my amp-meter and measured it at .01 amps (10mA) when the phone wasn't charging and 0.5 amps (500mA) when the phone was on the charger. I tried it both with and without the cigar-USB installed, and the difference was below the threshold of my ammeter.

That stuff is amazing! I was following another company that was supposed to make the same thing, but they never made anything retail. This place seems to only do "Industrial Use" -- but that's better than the "vaporware" that the other place was advertising. If I could put my hands on some of this, I'd consider coating my rain gear, tank bag, and the wireless charger! The only down-side is that it discolors (slightly whitens) the object/material to which it's applied.

This thread had me thinking about how much power the charger pulled. I hooked up my amp-meter and measured it at .01 amps (10mA) when the phone wasn't charging and 0.5 amps (500mA) when the phone was on the charger. I tried it both with and without the cigar-USB installed, and the difference was below the threshold of my ammeter.

You can buy it non commercial its just $63 a quart.

How oddly timed. The previous stuff I was looking at was called "Neverwet" and I had an email exchange with one of their staff. Signed up for the mailing list, too. After the initial exchange (a couple of years ago), I never heard anything back. Today I run across this: Rustoleum Neverwet

Looks like I'll be stopping by Home Depot after work.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ep8prHveng]Rust-Oleum Neverwet vs. Motorcycle Gloves, Sink Test Review - YouTube[/ame]

I bought some NeverWet last week and coated the wireless charging base with it. Don't look for videos of me dunking it in water or anything, but here's what it looks like coated and re-mounted. I tested to make sure it still charges after being sprayed, and all seems fine.

Back