Windscreen thoughts

Searched and read all the good screen threads..
I currently have ZG touring screen for colder weather / long highway rides and frankly I don't think it's all that great. I don't mind buffeting at the shoulders, but unless I tuck way down there's loads of noise and buffeting.. all directed right to the helmet.

What I'm looking for is something that will direct air OVER my helmet and the reason I'm starting new thread is this: what do you think about the combination of ZG touring + MRA lip (they make Vario and x-creen.. not sure which one I would need to get). Do you think this will get the air up high enough so I can ride without tucking and without having all the turbulent air get directed to my helmet?

I'm planning several rides next season which will be 500 miles a day (much of it at 75mph or so). Can't ride in full tuck that long.

Alternative seems to be CalSci. It's the tallest and really cuts down the buffeting (due to huge hole at the bottom) from what I've read. Not interesting in rifle screen.

So.. what are your thoughts about my ZG + MRA idea? How would you set yours up if you were looking to do serious touring?

16295-500x600.jpg

Last edited:
I ran a National Cycle V-Stream screen on my Gen 1 and although it was VERY tall and designed to take most of the wind off you, I found that my head would still take the brunt of the wind. Although the screen was great in the winter to keep my body warm, the results you seek may or may not happen depending how tall you are (or how long your torso is).

My experience is that for long highway rides what you really want is to have clean air hit your helmet while keeping your body out of the wind blast. IMO, this helps to eliminate fatigue even better than trying to run super tall screens that may just send violent air to your face and make you work harder. There's also the factor of noise and I have always found it much quieter in clean air which means better concentration and less fatigue.

My experience is that for long highway rides what you really want is to have clean air hit your helmet while keeping your body out of the wind blast. IMO, this helps to eliminate fatigue even better than trying to run super tall screens that may just send violent air to your face and make you work harder. There's also the factor of noise and I have always found it much quieter in clean air which means better concentration and less fatigue.

My previous bike was a streetfighter and I totally agree about clean direct air feeling best.. but only for shorter rides and when the weather is warm.
Doing just 30 minutes on the highway on a cold day was rather unpleasant without screen.

I love how ZG feels if I tuck all the way down. I want that feel without having to tuck.

Noise is not much of an issue.. I use ear plugs.

I prefer cleaner air than trying to redirect it with a billboard mounted on the bike. I found that the cleaner air from a cut down or Copperdog screen was much easier to handle on the roads at speeds. I use that "air cushion" to lean into and take all pressure off my arms so they can totally relax. And for noise, all helmets are different and I found that switching from the Z1R to the Shoei RF1000 was a HUGE difference in noise reduction. Also, the chin screen for the RF1000 again makes even a ton more noise difference.

The CalSci is what Norm was/is using and he swears by it. The main reason for that hole at the bottom is to stop excess noise as it disallows the vacuum created behind a screen without a vented bottom. I notice this going from the FZ6 to the FZ1 where the FZ1 was stock vented. The FZ6 was a far more noisy bike to ride than my 1.

Hopefully Norm will chime in regarding his CalSci.

I prefer cleaner air than trying to redirect it with a billboard mounted on the bike.

lmao @ billboard! Yeah, I'm quite happy with my *Summer* screen (cut down painted stocker), but it's getting to be low 40's in the morning now and the cold is getting to me.
I think I'd rather take a bit of turbulence over the cold. Just trying to figure out if that *billboard* of a lip added on top of ZG touring will get the job done. It ain't cheap ($140 + shipping) and cannot be returned once the packaging is opened :(

Back