Wind Sheer at 80mph Naked vs Fairing

What is the wind sheer like between 75-85mph when you remove the front fairing and go full naked on these bikes? I spend most of my time commuting and that means I am either splitting the lanes on the freeway at 40mph or I am cruising along at 80mph.

Right now on my Gen1 with the stock windscreen the sheering is not too bad, but honestly I have never known anything else, I have never ridden another bike besides my old dirt bikes, but I don't think I ever took them that fast.

I ask because I really like the look of the bikes with no fairing, but I don't want to compromise my daily ride to and from work since that is the main use of the bike for me.

I have owned two 06's. My first one had the front fairing w/ the stock windscreen. The one I have now is the naked version, I can honestly tell you that for me, personally, I have cleaner, more stable wind hitting me so it is easier to ride at highway speeds than with my first bike. Again, this is just my experience but I prefer the undisturbed head wind as opposed to the buffeting from the fairing, I am 5-10 BTW.

I have the FZ8 and fine it definitely manageable. Never an issue really. Take your windscreen off and that will give you a little idea for a test. Over 80 is where you do start to feel the push back, but its clean air. No buffeting.

I have the FZ8 and fine it definitely manageable. Never an issue really. Take your windscreen off and that will give you a little idea for a test. Over 80 is where you do start to feel the push back, but its clean air. No buffeting.

Good idea, I will take the screen off and ride it like that a few days next week and see how it feels.

this is why i have so many bikes :) i love my fz1 when it is chillier because of the wind screen and that is also nice when it is raining, ect. also i tour on my fz so that screen is nice if i'm stuck on the highway. however my bandit is naked and it is amazing in the dead heat of summer with mesh gear but you do get alot of wind. what i would do is just take the plexi screen off for a ride and see how you like it, if you like the wind then do it, just remember you are more at the mercy of the weather.

My naked FZ1 is fine to ride at 80+mph. I used to have an FZ6R and did not like the buffeting coming off the windscreen. I'm 6'1" and it always seemed to hit right on my neck, so the clean air is a bit of a treat now.

If you are used to the windscreen, then the wind would be brutal at those speeds on the naked version. I hated mine and went back to fairings. It was almost like I was getting thrown off the bike. It also disturbed my concentration while high speed cornering. I loved the look and the clean view though. I would specifically get a naked for that purpose.

My experience is documented here: http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-streetfighter/9742-finally-converted-fz1r-n.html

Thanks for all the replies. I will try riding without the windscreen and see how it is.

Weather is not a big deal, here in San Diego the coldest it ever is in the mornings in Jan/Feb is upper 40's, and when it Rains I take my car to work.

I cruise at 80 with my left elbow on the tank and right hand on the throttle and have taken her to 160 without a problem, both hands on the bars of course. When there is a strong head wind I have to tuck and duck and let my helmet be my fairing but I'm also a little over 200lbs so...

Last edited:
coming from a naked bike to a bike with a windscreen, my neck hurts a lot less on the fz1 than the naked bike. after long trips my neck would always be sore on the naked bike. sustained high speeds dont help but i've done many similar trips on the fz1 where i never had that issue. windscreen ftw

Back