Will I need to re-jet the carbs with a slip on?

you don't have to because of the pipe... but you should because it'll make your bike run better in general... you can do it yourself without buying an assembled kit from anyone... the $130 kits are just $5.00 worth of jets in a pretty box.

you don't have to because of the pipe... but you should because it'll make your bike run better in general... you can do it yourself without buying an assembled kit from anyone... the $130 kits are just $5.00 worth of jets in a pretty box.

I was wondering how the jet kits could be so expensive. Ive jetted up a carb on an old hot rod truck before. It took me less than a minute and the jets cost me around a buck. Can I just replace the main jets with one size larger? That should only be a couple dollars. The jet kit seems to be a lot of stuff that I don't understand and don't know what it does.

Micron Scorched Titanium Slip on Exhaust First Gen FZ1 | eBay
Just bought this on E-bay. Will I need to rejet the carbs? If so, how hard is it to do? Any help would be appreciated!

If you haven't yet install a 4* ignition advancer put one in before jetting, you might like the performance and be satisfied, I did with a different slip on and very satisfied that I will not do any jetting, the stock setup worked perfectly with the advancer & a slipon. just an opinion.

If you haven't yet install a 4* ignition advancer put one in before jetting, you might like the performance and be satisfied, I did with a different slip on and very satisfied that I will not do any jetting, the stock setup worked perfectly with the advancer & a slipon. just an opinion.

Not sure what that is? :dontknow:

So these bikes run pretty lean. My bike RUNS great with the slipon, but I'm sure its running more lean than it should. Probably running hot, and its not great for the valves. I would just get an Ivan's sometime before spring. If I were keeping my bike, I would jet it. It would run much better.

Not sure what that is? :dontknow:

its this AdvancerMan.com,

my 2004 is stock with only a slip on & the advancer, wouldn't touch the carburetor, the bike runs very strong and smooth. its understandable that people who jetted their bike will always recommend jetting as a performance mod plus people who sell kits make it sound like its a must do mod to get decent performance. to be honest I ride hard & fast & very satisfied with the advancer & slip on, to me that's it in the engine department, suspension & cosmetic mods to follow.

the advancer is a reversible mod, takes 15 mins to install, no need to drain the engine oil, just have a new gasket ready and save the stock advancer for the time you do valve adjustment swap it back in then replace again.

also make sure your carbs are clean by using a good carb cleaner for a few tanks.

No. Just put the pipe on and ride.

Disagreed at the very least you should get in there and make sure all your jets are clean and I would richen up the idle mixture screw about a quarter turn on each carb. Motorcycles from the factory are LEAN, all of them!! They do this to help meet strict emmisions laws. LEAN=HOT! The hotter your engine runs the higher the chance of engine damage. Is your airbox and filter stock? If either is aftermarket or modded this once again means your running
leaner.

To whoever I quoted
Your bike description tells me you have a fuel injected bike, fuel injected bikes can compensate for minor changes in intake flow or exhaust back-pressure BUT on the other hand the carb will not! Dont be so quick to give people that kind of advice, people may take you seriously and F$$K up their bike!

<snip...>its understandable that people who jetted their bike will always recommend jetting as a performance mod plus people who sell kits make it sound like its a must do mod to get decent performance. <snip...>

I recommend jetting because it makes the bike easier to ride--Like it's got manners--especially after you put on a good sounding muffler that makes you turn the throttle a little bit more. Initially I thought I'd do the RR Stuff (as advised by VARider) then "upgrade" to a commercial kit. Well after a couple of years with it, I ain't "upgrading".

DIY is easily reversed too...but you won't want to.

Disagreed at the very least you should get in there and make sure all your jets are clean and I would richen up the idle mixture screw about a quarter turn on each carb. Motorcycles from the factory are LEAN, all of them!! They do this to help meet strict emmisions laws. LEAN=HOT! The hotter your engine runs the higher the chance of engine damage. Is your airbox and filter stock? If either is aftermarket or modded this once again means your running
leaner.

To whoever I quoted
Your bike description tells me you have a fuel injected bike, fuel injected bikes can compensate for minor changes in intake flow or exhaust back-pressure BUT on the other hand the carb will not! Dont be so quick to give people that kind of advice, people may take you seriously and F$$K up their bike!

Nope. I based my post from my experience with my 02.

So I've put about 800 miles on the bike since Christmas so I decided to pull a plug and take a look at it. It looks white with no browning around the sides. I think it's too lean. I want to go up a jet size on the main jets. So the question is, do I just remove the carbs, flip em over and the jets will be in there?

Back