Why should I get an FZ1?

Howdy.

I currently ride a VTX 1300. Sometimes I feel that it just isn't "FAST" enough. Its no slowpoke, for a cruiser, but if I have to rely on acceleration to get out of a tight spot... I might be in for a tight squeeze... Never mind the fact that acceleration is just plain fun!

Now, I've looked around a bit, and the FZ1 seems to be about the 'sportiest' bike that I can actually fit on. (6'3, 280 lbs) Also, there seems to be some 1st gen FZ1's for sale in the area for under $4000. (private sellers.)

Now that I've blabbed on enough... I figure I'll ask the owners, Why do I need an FZ1? What should I be aware of when looking, or if I buy one?

:thewave:

[/end newbie thread]

Why not :D Seriously, sounds like a Gen I bike would be a good fit for you. Good ergos, plenty of power, reliable...blah...blah. There's a reason so many magazines raved about it when it was released in '01. Probably one of the best all around motorcycles ever produced. Can be/do just about anything you want it to be/do. I would encourage you to find one at a dealer and take it for a test ride to make sure that it's the right bike for you. Good luck :tup:

You say that now.....as a gen 1 owner, there has not been anything that I've thrown at it for the sport side that it has not handled.

I'm in the process of exploring the touring side. I'm 6'2" and 225.

You'll need to look at the suspension b/c it is underspung for everyone over 160. The gen one rear can be completely rebuilt and the front can be anything from higher rate springs to the full Monty.

Traxxion Dynamics is a good source and talk to Lee.

Some have undergone a rebuilt of rear on the gen 2 but it lack compression adjustability and can be retrofited with a resevoir, but it has not been completed yet by one of the members here.

More to come for sitting in jiffy lube and time to get back on he road....

As a current cruiser owner myself Spirit 1100 I can tell you that you don't need an FZ1, what you're going through is a bias called the confirmation theory in which you are looking for info to confirm what you want to hear. Truth be told I just bought an FZ1 six weeks ago and was a victim of the same bias, the only difference is that I confirmed my theory through the salesperson and you're trying to do it here.

I completely understand what you're going through since I did it and now have 2 bikes, my Spirit and my FZ1, am I happy with it? Yes. Did I need another bike? No. We will never be satisfied with what we have. I bet if you had started out on the 750 or 1300 VT you would have been trading up for the 1800 now, but since you already have Honda's big dawg (not really) your only other step is a sportbike. I won't talk you out of a purchase but it's sad to see another victim. The things you learn during ur MBA, too bad I withdrew. To be continued later. Good luck

OOps you do ride the 1300 and not the 1800, same principle

I think your reason to change bike styles depends on what type of riding you like to do. If you want to enjoy the good mountain roads at a greater speed without scraping bits, then you definitely need to add one. I went from a standard v-twin (VX800) to the FZ1 because of carb issues and impatience. I don't regret it. I got the bike fixed but haven't ridden it, it feels slow now and handles like a truck<--it always did, I just didn't know it.

If you're just tooling around Atlanta, keep your cruiser and use the money you'd spend on another bike for upgrades. The FZ tools around okay but it's not nearly as fun. It is hard to maintain throttle discipline on the FZ because fast doesn't feel fast but slow is excruciatingly slow.

It is hard to maintain throttle discipline on the FZ because fast doesn't feel fast but slow is excruciatingly slow.

Man, this is absolutely true at lease for new FZ1 riders, maybe the folks that have had theirs for a while are used to it, but coming from a cruiser oh man, I can't believe I haven't gotten a ticket yet. I don't ride incredibly fast but on our highway thats 55, I'm doing no less than 75, that's suspended licence territory there. Both bikes have their place in the riders world. My cruiser is for chillin relaxed ride and going to work whenever, the FZ is for when I want a big grin on my face,this seems to be everyday.

Well put, there are degree's of fast and the FZ is in the top group

I am 6-8 and 280, the mod's for me are flat drag bars to let my arms stretch out and hwy pegs the folding type so I can straighten my legs but not restrict cornering clearance as I have them mounted as low and forward as possible.
I tried a corbin seat but it felt like I was sitting on top of the bike not in it, the stock seat allows you to slide around the tank for aggressive cornering, I want to feel connected through my pelvis as my arms are relaxed to feel the feedback from the front tire.
Tense arms transmit any front end motion into your torso and sort of multiplies the effect of tar snakes or mid corner bumps.
The engine is pure sex, if you don't get a stubby as you pass 7 grand you are dam near dead, mid corner is not to place to be when the motor comes alive and you go from 30 mph to120 mph in about 3 seconds.
Throttle discipline is essential to keeping your licence, playing with this bike is like handling a loaded rifle, If you know what you are doing you get the job done, miss handle this bike and you will be dead just as quick.

do what the hell you want...

I didn't need any justification for a second bike, i found what i wanted and bought it. my first was the FZ (09) and i just picked up a 09 KLR 650. So i went the other way... I am very happy with the FZ... my skill level is probably still in the novice category (as to track days) but I find the suspension on the dealer settings to be more than adequate for me (6'4" 290). if you want, and you can afford it, go get it. it's a great bike

took one for a test ride from a dealer... Woah, that's different from anything I've ridden before! What I was most wary of was not being able to get my feet on the pegs easily. Wasn't a problem! I certainly felt a lot more 'On top' of the bike then my VTX, but I think that I'd feel that with any bike with this form factor.

gtbigup01, I understand where your coming from, but I've got plenty of other factors to consider. I could sell/trade my 1300 to get an 1800 (or other power cruiser,) I could pick up a used 1st gen FZ1 for less then what I'd spend on the upgrade though, AND get to choose between two different styles of ride whenever I like :)

Just to echo everything said here, to me it is all things - great for running errands around town, for commuting if I can avoid the interstate, and runs up to the hills. Has more power than anyone needs but can be ridden in heavy traffic without difficulty. .. and of course, fits big & tall riders quite nicely.

Eternally grateful to my friend who talked me into it..
..a

took one for a test ride from a dealer... Woah, that's different from anything I've ridden before! What I was most wary of was not being able to get my feet on the pegs easily. Wasn't a problem! I certainly felt a lot more 'On top' of the bike then my VTX, but I think that I'd feel that with any bike with this form factor.

gtbigup01, I understand where your coming from, but I've got plenty of other factors to consider. I could sell/trade my 1300 to get an 1800 (or other power cruiser,) I could pick up a used 1st gen FZ1 for less then what I'd spend on the upgrade though, AND get to choose between two different styles of ride whenever I like :)

For sure bro, like I said I too have both and while I'm happy with it, it's just the principle of it. We will never be satisfied, but we will be happy for a while. I know the first time I got on my FZ1 I was like holy shit!!!!! this thing moves way too quickly if applying the same amount of throttle as i did on my Spirit 1100, it actually scared the crap out of me. Now I'm used to it and do it all the time. If you decide to keep ur 1300 and buy the FZ1 you will have the pleasure of switching bikes everday or whenever and you will notice the big difference in purpose of both bikes.

I started looking at an FZ1 because I wanted to upgrad from a Suzuki SV 650. That was a fantastic bike but after about a year I found myself wanting more power. I test drove an R1 and it was definately above my riding level (LOL - I think it's above most people's riding level but this is the internet so most people wont admit it - LOL).
The 2004 FZ1 was the second bike I tested and I flat out fell for it! The reason I liked it so much was that it's a great combination of power and comfort. In fact I describe it to people as a hybrid bike because it gives me the ability to go on long road trips comfortably (like a cruiser) and there is an awesome engine that allows me to handle anthing that has come up so far. Combine that with a really friendly price tag and I thought it was a No - Brainer.
I recommend that you test drive everything you are considering. For me - every vehichle that I have bought literally jumped out at me after my first test drive. If the FZ1 doesn't jump at you then I would keep looking.

Hi to you all, new to this forum.

Looking at 2002 FZ1 WITH 28000 on it, seems to have been well maintained and has a full fairing and rs1 pipe on it.

Had a BMW 1150 before so this will be a step up in power for sure. Any advice on what i should look for in this year and the mileage?

Thanks in advance for replies

Back