Why I do my own servicing

Met a guy this morning with a Suzuki, he'd been getting it serviced by the dealer I bought my bike from. Confirmed my opinion on why I didn't go back. Said he'd been paying $500 per service. Went to a different shop for a service and got a call during the day saying they'd keep the plugs to show him. He'd been invoiced for replacement iridium plugs but when he went to pick it up the Service Mgr said these plus have never been changed!

Met a guy this morning with a Suzuki, he'd been getting it serviced by the dealer I bought my bike from. Confirmed my opinion on why I didn't go back. Said he'd been paying $500 per service. Went to a different shop for a service and got a call during the day saying they'd keep the plugs to show him. He'd been invoiced for replacement iridium plugs but when he went to pick it up the Service Mgr said these plus have never been changed!
I agree,I like to know for sure,that type of oil etc is really used,if I was getting the valves checked I would want to have trust in the mechanic otherwise I would do them myself or not at all

In the states we have the BBB, Better Business Bureau. Sounds like time for a report to me because not replacing with actual parts constitutes fraud. Also a friendly call to the local news could be entertaining as well.

I agree,I like to know for sure,that type of oil etc is really used,if I was getting the valves checked I would want to have trust in the mechanic otherwise I would do them myself or not at all

If you can't trust them to put the right oil in how can you trust them to actually check the valves?

If you can't trust them to put the right oil in how can you trust them to actually check the valves?
Last valve check I had done [honda hornet 900], the mechanic who has his own mobile service and whom I have known several years let me help him do the job.HE was the head mechanic of a near by honda dealership before he went out on his own.He still go overseas with a small race team as their mechanic once a year.I do all oil changes,plugs,air cleaner, remove wheels,wheel bearings, etc myself

Last edited:
Fair enough, he's got your trust and thats got to be respected but for me well after hearing what I originally posted and getting the 1000k service done nearby where they fitted the wrong oil filter, I'd rather do it myself and know its been done.

Fair enough, he's got your trust and thats got to be respected but for me well after hearing what I originally posted and getting the 1000k service done nearby where they fitted the wrong oil filter, I'd rather do it myself and know its been done.
I will most likely do the valves on the FZ1 myself now,but I found the experience of doing it with the mechanic helpful,I have historic motorcycle`s which I have rebuilt motors,gearboxs etc one the 1942 WM20BSA was a basket case,But I am still a little wary of modern bikes

Last edited:
I will most likely do the valves on the FZ1 myself now,but I found the experience of doing it with the mechanic helpful,I have historic motorcycle`s which I have rebuilt motors,gearboxs etc one the 1942 WM20BSA was a basket case,But I am still a little wary of modern bikes

With all the information out there on checking and adjusting your valve clearances at the recommended intervals. You should have basic mechanical knowledge, being able to read and interpret service manuals, the tools and patience. You should be able to do it yourself.

I took my sv650s in to have fork seals replaced. While riding home on the interstate , I noticed the front brake lever assemble coming loose. It scared the sh*t out of me. At home I noticed several parts connected to the fork were loose. Called them up and they said to bring it back the next day. Well that day the mechanic who worked on it came out with only one wrench. Acted like a smart ass and tightened one bolt. I told the store owner he said he would make it up to me next time. The same place also lost my coupon for a free dump run and refused to give it back or do the dyno run. I will never go to Kens cycle of Richmond again.

I took my sv650s in to have fork seals replaced. While riding home on the interstate , I noticed the front brake lever assemble coming loose. It scared the sh*t out of me. At home I noticed several parts connected to the fork were loose. Called them up and they said to bring it back the next day. Well that day the mechanic who worked on it came out with only one wrench. Acted like a smart ass and tightened one bolt. I told the store owner he said he would make it up to me next time. The same place also lost my coupon for a free dump run and refused to give it back or do the dyno run. I will never go to Kens cycle of Richmond again.

One more reason to do your own service. I don't need (or want) to worry about someone else leaving bolts lose or not replacing parts that they were supposed to.

I do all my own maintenance and whenever I get a used bike I go over the whole bike before I really ride it. Don't need any surprises out on the road...

In the states we have the BBB, Better Business Bureau. Sounds like time for a report to me because not replacing with actual parts constitutes fraud. Also a friendly call to the local news could be entertaining as well.

Fraud and cheating and cutting corners by mechanics is everywhere and all the time.
If you take a machine into a dealer or other service center and you really do not have any idea what is going to happen to your machine - whether it is a car, motorcycle, tractor, lawn mower, computer, ...

I have had to have other mechanics try to trouble shoot and fix the messes that the first mechanics have caused.
I have had to deal with broken or damaged parts of my machines caused by mechanics - to parts that are unrelated to the original requested service - except for proximity to parts...
I have had mechanics verbally set me up to expect to need a new engine under their care and diagnosis of a problem --- then I refuse to have them touch the machine .. fix it myself for a few dollars .. and run it for another 80,000 miles...

The service industry is scary. I cannot take my machines to most service places. So many are disreputable. Hence, I do most of my own work. I then know what was done to the machine.

Back