Why Did You Buy your FZ1 ?

Ironically, just after I wrote the previous post my cell phone rang. I had offered a local dealer 9K OTD for an '08 Honda CBR1000RR in November. He now tells me he can complete the deal--any bike on the floor, if I do it tomorrow, before the end of the year.

i came from a zx9r e2 which i loved and would have another anyday...

i wanted something as fast but a bit more sit up...

ive always wanted a yamaha thou..never had a fzr exup or thunderace even though i came close with the ace..but got the 9r instead

i imagine R1's are good to ride but they are just sooooo common..lol

zx10 was a possibility but like the r1 too focused and too bling..if i lose my licence i lose my job and those bike make everyone wanna race ya...

i got hooked on the fz1 and i still think i made a good choice...hate that stupid end can though but it didnt put me off buying the bike..well it nearly did but i saw beyond the can...

will change the end can soon....

i think the only bike that could prise me from the fz1 (that makes me smile everytime i ride it) is the gsxr1000...but not the 08 model cos it's too bling...

so maybe save up for an 04 gsxr thou and run both...lol

Ironically, just after I wrote the previous post my cell phone rang. I had offered a local dealer 9K OTD for an '08 Honda CBR1000RR in November. He now tells me he can complete the deal--any bike on the floor, if I do it tomorrow, before the end of the year.

Well, I have a feeling that more of that same scenario will be coming up more and more.

My local shop has already gone from being closed Sun to Sun-Tue. They were beggin' me to make a purchase on a GSXR-750, But I'm happy with the Gen I. Maybe capitalize on the bike later in '09 when things really get interesting if finances permit.....

BroHay

I chose the FZ1 for several reasons. I like the riding position and seat height. I'm a longtime dirtbiker and I feel very comfortable on the FZ1. The bike hadles 2-up riding well. The price of my slightly used '07 was great. So far the only let-down is the suspension, but I'm not done playing with the adjustments. My plan is to commute on the bike as much as possible and take a couple bike trips per year. The FZ1 can do it all, including being OK on dirt roads.

Like Johnnylane I too had been out of riding for a bit (OK, decade or two). My first bike when I was young was 1983 GS550e, so when gas hit $4.00 gal I started looking at Suzuki's and bought a 1993 GS500e to re-learn on. Didnt take long to get back in the swing, rode for a couple months and took the MSC (9 week waiting list). Went to Deals Gap with a group of 15 or so bikes and held my own. Few guys had the Yamaha sport touring bikes and few had the similar BMW's. I really liked the style of those bikes but not all the bulk. Came home started looking at Yamaha's on the WWW and found FZ1's. I too am a father, 2 boys (4 & 7) so I'm on a budget, I also like the uprite riding position and the solo seat look. That led me to used Gen I bikes, few weeks later found a nice bike with good owner and a good price for this part of the country. I've had a poop eating grin ever since. :D

Last edited:
Like Johnnylane I too had been out of riding for a bit (OK, decade or two). My first bike when I was young was 1983 GS550e, so when gas hit $4.00 gal I started looking at Suzuki's and bought a 1993 GS500e to re-learn on. Didnt take long to get back in the swing, rode for a couple months and took the MSC (9 week waiting list). Went to Deals Gap with a group of 15 or so bikes and held my own. Few guys had the Yamaha sport touring bikes and few had the similar BMW's. I really liked the style of those bikes but not all the bulk. Came home started looking at Yamaha's on the WWW and found FZ1's. I too am a father, 2 boys (4 & 7) so I'm on a budget, I also like the uprite riding position and the solo seat look. That led me to used Gen I bikes, few weeks later found a nice bike with good owner and a good price for this part of the country. I've had a poop eating grin ever since. :D

Hey Chip, I am not sure but did you post pics of your bike? I don't remember, old age I guess.

Hello all,

I wasn't looking at the FZ1 but it found me.

After a test ride, I was intrigued even though I didn't have any interest of riding the FZ1 at all. Had a VFR but the weight and riding position got to me even after the Heli bars. Had a few supermotos but the limitations and frequent maintenance got old quick. Owned a Vstrom 650 which was a nice bike but my heart wasn't in it. Had a 919 but I got bored with it quickly.

I wanted something that had the fun features of all the bikes without the shortcomings (blandness, weight, frequent maintenance, low budget suspension, finicky handling, etc) and the FZ1 fit all the profile, ie comfort, sporty, good looks, long valve intervals, fit & finish.

Most of all, it's so easy to ride and fell in love with the handling.

Now after contemplating about getting a brand new FZ1, a slightly damaged 07 came in which the rider didn't want anymore which I bought and in the process of making it a Euro-conversion (headlights) and customizing it.

Strange as it seems, I still like the factory exhaust although the new Yoshimura fits nicely on another customer's FZ1 but I like to keep my bike more stock as possible.

Hope to share info with you all and perhaps meeting on the ride in the future.

Happy new years :cool:

Why I bought my FZ1

I first bought a FJR1300 after not having a bike for 11 or so years. What a lovely bike but terrible for commuting. I'm not the tallest guy in the world and I managed to drop it four times in as many months. I decided it was time for a change.

I "accidentally" discovered that my local bike shop had this demo 2007 FZ1 just waiting for me. Took it for a test ride and fell in love with the FZ1.
Now 2.5 months and about 4000km later I can honestly say that this is probably the finest bike I have ever owned. Previously Rd350, YZ250, XJR750, FZ750 and a host of smaller bikes. FZ1 4eva.

i came from a zx9r e2 which i loved and would have another anyday...

i wanted something as fast but a bit more sit up...

ive always wanted a yamaha thou..never had a fzr exup or thunderace even though i came close with the ace..but got the 9r instead

i imagine R1's are good to ride but they are just sooooo common..lol

zx10 was a possibility but like the r1 too focused and too bling..if i lose my licence i lose my job and those bike make everyone wanna race ya...

i got hooked on the fz1 and i still think i made a good choice...hate that stupid end can though but it didnt put me off buying the bike..well it nearly did but i saw beyond the can...

will change the end can soon....

i think the only bike that could prise me from the fz1 (that makes me smile everytime i ride it) is the gsxr1000...but not the 08 model cos it's too bling...

so maybe save up for an 04 gsxr thou and run both...lol
mrfz1
I have a Micron Serpent competition pipe on my FZ1, never ridden with the standard pipe yet as it came with both.
The intention was to someday change to the standard pipe but I'm not too sure that this will ever happen as I love the sound and performance of this pipe.

Why?
It does it ALL and it does it well...in comfort and with a big :)

The only weakness I can find is soft slightly underdamped suspension....but it only shows when I push on a bit and is not enough to spoil the show. The exhaust is fugly, but its growing on me....like a big wart lol. Then again, show me a new jap bike with a decent exhaust with more than 750cc.

I really liked the styling and the riding position. I like the sport feel without laying over the tank. I am going to be 50 this year and I am too old for the radical crotch rockets. I know I can hold my own with my new 08 FZ1.

My wife and best friend talked a two days before Christmas. He knew I wanted one, but was waiting. He went to the dealership Christmas Eve morning. They have one Red FZ1 sitting there. He told them to hold it. My wife came down and purchased the bike. An hour later it was at my friend's house. Christmas morning we went over to his house. He asked me to get a soda out of the fridge in the garage. When I opened the door, there it was. I was speechless. :D Needless to say she raised the bar for all the other wives.

I owned a couple of bikes before, last one was a Triumph Sprint ST 955cc 2001, nice motor (3 cyl), good position, but frame not rigid enough and therefore a fast curve over 160km/hr was getting wobbly, more of a sport touring than sport streetfighter, so I was looking for more power and that 4cyl hi rev F1 sound alike...Also owned a Yam FJ 1200cc 1986, great bike loved it for many yearsand 52,000km! Also had a Kawi KZ 750 1984, stability problem with that one, frame were not rigid enough back then. Also owned a Yam 650cc 1977 parallel twin, great bike back for the days.

So anyway, I wanted something mean with lots of power, very stable, also good for commuting and for occasionnal long trips. So I considered some sport touring, Yam FJ 1300, but too heavy not sporty enough, the new Kawi 1400cc concours, tried it, fantastic but big, heavy and hot, but awesome powerband. Tried Honda VFR 800cc, not enough power to my taste and didn't like that V4 feeling. Tried the Triumph Tiger 2008, great motor but center of gravity way too high and high saddle for my hight 5'7", Then I tried the new 2008 Triumph sprint ST 1050cc, great bike much more rigid than previous generation, excellent for long trips, power and confort were there but not as agile as the FZ1 and no possibility of wheelies or you know...Wanted to try the Triump street triple, powerfull and all but no wind protection at all, so the FZ1 seemed to be the best compromise of all...

Only I was afraid the Fazer would not offer enough wind protection and comfort still. Anyway after trying a Gen I and then a Gen II, I decided to go for it and got the 2008 charcoal version. I also got a good deal at $10,500 CDN, I thought it was a steal. I have not regretted it since.

Great bike, lots of power and hyper stable, pretty light and agile at 200kg. All I need to do now is to change the saddle for more comfort, only I don't know if I should get the Corbin, the Sargent or the Yamaha comfort gel??? And I changed my windshield for a tall GIVI, better than stock but a bit of turbulence around the helmet so I'm looking into getting a PUIG.

Oh! and last, My wife spoiled me with a GPS Garmin Zumo 550 for X-Mas, (got it from GPS central refurbished for $729 CDN, good price after much research on the net) so now Ican't wait to get this thing on the handlebars and go for adventure...

Enjoy your Fazer guys...

Isn't this a beauty... and then one from my previous Sprint St and then next picture is nice too...

Because I always wanted the Ultimate Street Fighter! Plus my 03 FZ1 just has an evil look to it. Also she does 10.4 in a 1/4 mile, so no one messes with me!

Last edited:
I saw the FZ1 Gen II in a magazine and wanted one. Upright seating position, inverted forks and a wild engine what else on the market is a match. A few months latter I walked into the local dealer and they had a red FZ1 on the floor. I went home to tell my wife then she gave me permission to buy it. Had it for four seasons and it's been the best decision and the best bike I have ever ridden except for the seat. Oh well nothings perfect but the FZ1 is the closest thing I have seen or ridden until this point.

I had a FZ6 and bought my wife a GSXR1000 and realized I needed to move up to the FZ1. I rode the GSXR1000 a few times and realized I didnt want to lay down all the time while i was riding and I knew I liked how my FZ6 felt and my ego was screaming for a 1000 so I knew there was only one alternative. And it was a good decision. Plus if I really get the need for a rocket on a rocket I can go ride her bike anytime I want. This was an easy decision for me. The dog rules no matter what. Watching the motogp and other contests I have come to the conclusion Suzuki has lost their way in that arena. And if I may say so, its our turn now anyway.

I saw the 01 FZ1 in Cycle World. I read about it in all the reviews and comparisons. I went to the dealer in my home town, got a pamphlet and drooled over it for several months. The tipping point came while I was working in California one summer. I wasn't able to bring my Vmax with me and I knew I couldn't go a whole summer in southern California without a motorcycle so I made the leap and it turned out to be one of the best summers I've ever had.

Are you running a 190 out back? It looks kinda fat to me. Could just be the profile.

Yes I am running a 190 on the back, I find it to be just so much more of a nimble and very responsive bike going into the corners! So I tend to eat 1000 CBR Hondas and kick up the ass of any GXSER 1000! Basically I can **** with any other 1000cc bikes good time on a twisty road!

Last edited:
Back