Why Did You Buy your FZ1 ?

i have owned many varied motorcycles over the yrs & also ride many bikes through my work , what prompted me to purchase a FZ1 .
well the great styling of the FZ1N was a big draw card for me , but the fact that its got a R1 derived engine was a huge plus . the exellent chassis & suspension / brake package appealled , also the comfy upright ride postion .
compared to my previous 07 Kawasaki Z1000 , the FZ1N is a big step up in quality & performance . "2cents" :)

I was off of bikes for years, the last one being an old Honda CB400F. I wanted to get back into it without killing myself, so I settled on the FZ6.

I rode that for half of this summer, and riding a bike came back to me like, well, riding a bike. It was not long befire I wanted more.

I thought I wanted a Ducati S2R, but the FZ1 felt more comfortable, is smoother, costs less, and is probabaly more powerful.

I am absolutely thrilled with my choice.

Last edited:
Love my fz1

I purchased mine in July 08'. I haven't ever owned a street bike before but have ridden a lot of dirt bikes and had a new honda xr600 at one time. I researched a lot of bikes and knew I wanted something with some performance and not a big fan of cruisers. I also did not want to be laying on the gas tank to ride also. I am old school and wish they sold more motorcycles in the states like the fjr1300 but they only sell them in the uk. Here its either sportbike or cruisers not many so called naked bikes.
After researching I think the FZ1 offers the best all around performance for the price and is really a good deal. After TT&L and everything I wound up paying right at $10,000 dollers which I know some probably have gotten better deals but we only have one dealership here in Corpus Christi,TX.
Anyway for the price I think you get one hell of a motorcycle and I am happy with my purchase. Hell to get a car that performs this well you would have to pay over $50,000 dollars.

I bought my 2001 FZ1 after doing much research and deciding that it was the one bike that would do everything I wanted it to. To date, I've yet to be disappointed. Carving corners in the canyons, it's happy. Riding 2-up all day long; it's happy. Basically anything that I want to do... it's ready and willing. I love the bike, it's one of the few I actually plan to hold onto for a good while. The miles pile on pretty easy though... I bought my '01 in Feb 07 with 4,300 mi on it... and as of August 08, I've got 25,000 mi.

My 1986 V-Max was getting a little tired, so when I took it to my dealer for some carb service they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. The FZ1 has the semi-upright position that I am used to, plus the 3-way adjustable suspension, plus the great brakes, plus the higher seat height, plus 5.5 gallon fuel tank instead of the 4 gallon on the V-Max. And what can you say about that tremendous motor that hasn't already been said? After riding the V-Max I really couldn't go to anything under 1000cc. And I wasn't about to shell out $18,000 for the new Max. The FZ1 gives me almost as much bang for the buck.

why ?

After long research for the Ultimate bike I was pretty confused between the new z750 or the new honda hornet.
Studying these bikes all over I learned that Torque is a big issue as well as horse power. The FZ1 was a dream bike to purchase in a few years, But after the wife showed her dissapointment on purchasing a new bike "only" 3 years after riding a Suzuki 500CC I decided to go on this bike for a long quiet hasslle free.
Luckilly there was this bike one year of age and on sale with 6,200 KM on it.

Bought it straight away and now i"m leaving the dream.:)

My last two bikes were Aprilia's, the last one a Tuono R. They were outstanding bikes and I really liked the big twin torque. My brother bought a used 04 FZ1 with all the Dale Walker mods already done and I was very impressed. I went and checked out an 08' and had a nice test ride. I really liked the motor and the gearbox. It wasn't that much different in seating position from the Tuono, but a lot more refined with extra fairing coverage. It's kind of fun to go back to a big bore inline 4. I look forward to some long rides yet this year and certainly next. Now where is that package with all of the IVAN mods.....

Of course the red bike with the gold wheels sealed the deal:D

For me my 07 was mostly a process of elimination. My only other bike was a 93 Yamaha Seca II which I bought new. ( It's for sale and in GREAT shape if anyone is interested).

The last seven years or so it didn't see much use because I became a father twice over. But when I got it back on the road this year I knew I wanted a new bike with more power. So I started shopping. (My 50th birthday present to myself)

I'm not a cruiser guy. Maybe when I'm 60 but not now. So eliminate all of those from the choices. The Sport Tourers seem too "old man" to me too.

I looked at the Honda CBR's, not comfortable for me. Kawasaki Ninja and Suzuki just didn't feel right. Nice bikes for sure, but to me nothing has the ergos of a Yamaha.

I didn't want one of the more expensive exotic brands like Ducati or BMW. I'm on a budget.

When I sat on an 07 FZ1 at a local dealer it just whispered metaphorically in my ear..... "buy me." So I did. I don't regret it at all.

I almost bought a FZ6. But someone (Andrew?) in a forum owned both and told me it was a lot like my Seca at low speed, which I kind of figured would be the case. That's not bad at all but I wanted to treat myself to something bigger even though I know I'll never use all the FZ1 is capable of.

The FZ1 is great. I love it. But it is a bit more work to ride than my Seca II. My old bike would be happy cruising at 5-10 mph in traffic as where the FZ1 just doesn't like going slow at all. Plus it's a little heavier and the COG is higher. I at at 5'-10" have to stand on my tippy toes at a stop. Not a big deal. I love this thing already and I only have 400 and change miles on it.

So, after eliminating all others, the FZ1 was a natural choice for me.

Last edited:
I was riding a '99 Bandit 600s. When it was time for something new I wanted a standard with handlebars but still sporty, something bigger then a 600, fuel injection, and reasonablely priced.

Which only left a few options, Bandit 1250, 919 (so out dated), FZ1. It was early 07' and I am too cheap to pay list price for the Bandit and I found a leftover 06' FZ1. I love the FZ but I now ride too fast because that is where the bike is happy.

It's been a few bikes since I've had a good street fighter and after I did some researching the bikes available, the FZ1 had the best record for durability and maintenance is very low for a good sport bike. It's got the nads to do the job and I couldn't beat the price. Yamaha has a good reputation for building reliable machines. This is my third Yamaha and I'll put it through it's paces. We'll see how it fares. Good looks too!

For me, I was tired of riding a bike with forward controls. I had picked up an 05' Honda Spirit 750 for a really good price. I put 7,000 miles on it before I realized that my back was getting worse and worse. Besides that, my heart wasn't really into that "cruiser" style bike so I was fortunate enough with this failing economy, to sell the Honda, and even more fortunate to meet the person who sold me the FZ. We wound up becoming friends and have a few rides set for next Spring. He'll be picking up his new V-Max by then.

Well, can't say that I put as much research and effort into the '01 purchase.

I've ridden a few bikes over the years but never owned one for myself. The purchase, at the time, was to alleviate the $4.00+ and driving over 100 miles a day in a F-350. I sat on alot of bikes new bikes, but I kept coming back to the FZ. The dealer wanted me to go out the door on a new bike, but they just didn't have the same feel or look as the FZ.(methinks now that I stole the bike out from under the salesman that was helping me at the time :D)

It had been sitting around for over 6mos on the showroom floor, so think of it as a rescue. The price I paid for at the time was before I really became educated, but I only overpaid by 500.00 from what I could find available from other forums.

Haven't stopped smiling since the purchase. I'm always trying to find a reason to ride the bike. Now with winter upon us, and the weather has dipped down, I'm finally getting to finish customizing the bike to my liking.

Some shock mods (front/rear sprung to my weight), some cosmetics, brake line/pads, and who knows after that.

I've put about 4000 miles since my purchase in May '08, and look forward this next year to put even more miles on the bike, and even participate in some track days.

BroHay

I've been driving Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki and before the FZ1 I rode a Yamaha XJ900S. Superb ride, very good engine and could even follow R6-bikes in the chicanes and corners on track, but on straight line....now I can with my FZ1....:D

Reason for an FZ1, it's powerful, it handles well at low speed and high speed, it sits comfortable....It was a decision between the R1 and the FZ1, where I was kinda scared what an R1 would do to my back on long rides....

I was looking for a replacment for my Buell XB12 Lightening. It had to carry a passenger with a degree of comfort too. The FZ had the power, looks and comfort I wanted. The other bikes in with a shout were a speed triple, Z1000, Tuono and a Moto Morini Corsaro. All fell down in one area or another. Just for thr record the FZ is the best bike I've owned in 26 years of riding :)

Last edited:
I too compared a lot of bikes. I was looking for something sporty, but with an upright seating position. I love nakeds, but don't care for the windblasting they give. I gave the 'Busa, FJR1300, and ZX-14 all good looks, but they were just too big! The BMW and Ducati's were all too expensive! The liter-sportbikes were all a bit too aggressive (I didn't want to ride all hunched over). So, I "settled" on the FZ1. The Buell 1125R was my second choice.

I am very happy and pleased with my bike. Honestly, it has much more power than I need; of course, I still want more....

It is quite a change from my old '92 FZR, my DRZ650, and my wife's Burgman!

Back