Why Did You Buy your FZ1 ?

eyes

Billy, the GEN II bikes all come with the 190 standard on the rear. :D Love the wider tire... more confidence and contact in the corners. :D
He has a Gen 1 (2003), "Literbike" that is. Don't think they did. They say the eyes are the first thing to go, every other part they have a pill for.:justkidding:

I really liked the styling and the riding position. I like the sport feel without laying over the tank. I am going to be 50 this year and I am too old for the radical crotch rockets. I know I can hold my own with my new 08 FZ1.

My wife and best friend talked a two days before Christmas. He knew I wanted one, but was waiting. He went to the dealership Christmas Eve morning. They have one Red FZ1 sitting there. He told them to hold it. My wife came down and purchased the bike. An hour later it was at my friend's house. Christmas morning we went over to his house. He asked me to get a soda out of the fridge in the garage. When I opened the door, there it was. I was speechless. :D Needless to say she raised the bar for all the other wives.

I thought I had a great wife.

He has a Gen 1 (2003), \"Literbike\" that is. Don't think they did. They say the eyes are the first thing to go, every other part they have a pill for.:justkidding:

:tup: This is where I have the same pet peeve as Aaron regarding the thumbnails and wish they would all post a lot bigger! My bad (eyes) :embarrased:

My 1982 XJ550 wasn't cutting it (gutless, high maintenance, ugly, etc) and after it's 3rd dangerous part failure (1. front tire lost a bead arond a corner, 2. chain broke, 3. clutch cable broke) my wife said I either needed to get a new bike or stop riding. I'd been thinking about selling my bike at the end of summer and not riding anymore since I didn't think a new bike was an option. :)

Anyhow, started shopping around and the local Yamaha shop I'd been taking my XJ to had a leftover 08. Talked the salesman into letting me test ride it Got them to match another nearby dealership's price and brought it home. Haven't looked back since. :D

I came from the FZ6 family having owned both an '05 and the '08 models. This past May, my wife and I went to TN and toured the area and rode the dragon a few times. On one of the first runs, I ran the bike as hard as I dared and the front washed out on me and I was on the verge of going down but managed to somehow save it, something I still have not deciphered today. So, I knew the bike had crappy suspension, horrible tires and not the best of brakes. The rest of the trip was uneventful and I didn't push it as hard as I initially did.

My wife was on an '08 V Star 650 Custom. She dragged hardware a few times.

We got back and within 5 days, we were at the dealer for inspections. She had some warranty work done on the V Star. I asked her to come sit on a few sport bikes. She's a smaller woman so a lot of bikes are out of her league. After sitting on several, she really liked the FZ6R. I, on the other hand, had spied the '09 cobalt blue FZ1 with the black forks... "Looks just like my FZ6, just BIGGER!" After we discussed her choice, I said, "Why don't you just trade up!?!?" She said "OK! And what about you? I know you're not happy with the 6." She saw me oogling the FZ1 and says "Let's get a package deal!" So, she went about tearing apart a perfectly good salesman until he was huddled on the floor whimpering, me standing over him laughing. My wife is shrewd and brutal when it somes to dealing with sales persons! Go Girl!

So, To end this story: The FZ1 was everything the FZ6 was PLUS the obvious power and torque upgrade, better braking, adjustable suspension on both ends, more agressive stance and seating position, wider rear tire, and a marginally better seat. I had already added up the cost of upgrading the FZ6 and it was going to run close to $3k to make it something I'd be comfortable taking into a hot corner again. That put me at the price of the FZ1 plus some extra.

After riding it and getting to know her, I can't be happier with the upgrade. After some setup and changes and the new seat, it's a dream bike and I still have more mods to come. This bike litterally falls into the corners. The way she hits the apex and rolls off is astounding to me (compared to the bikes I ran prior to). If I don't get off the seat, it is far to easy to drop the pegs into the asphalt.

amazing

I came from the FZ6 family having owned both an '05 and the '08 models. This past May, my wife and I went to TN and toured the area and rode the dragon a few times. On one of the first runs, I ran the bike as hard as I dared and the front washed out on me and I was on the verge of going down but managed to somehow save it, something I still have not deciphered today. So, I knew the bike had crappy suspension, horrible tires and not the best of brakes. The rest of the trip was uneventful and I didn't push it as hard as I initially did.

My wife was on an '08 V Star 650 Custom. She dragged hardware a few times.

We got back and within 5 days, we were at the dealer for inspections. She had some warranty work done on the V Star. I asked her to come sit on a few sport bikes. She's a smaller woman so a lot of bikes are out of her league. After sitting on several, she really liked the FZ6R. I, on the other hand, had spied the '09 cobalt blue FZ1 with the black forks... \"Looks just like my FZ6, just BIGGER!\" After we discussed her choice, I said, \"Why don't you just trade up!?!?\" She said \"OK! And what about you? I know you're not happy with the 6.\" She saw me oogling the FZ1 and says \"Let's get a package deal!\" So, she went about tearing apart a perfectly good salesman until he was huddled on the floor whimpering, me standing over him laughing. My wife is shrewd and brutal when it somes to dealing with sales persons! Go Girl!

So, To end this story: The FZ1 was everything the FZ6 was PLUS the obvious power and torque upgrade, better braking, adjustable suspension on both ends, more agressive stance and seating position, wider rear tire, and a marginally better seat. I had already added up the cost of upgrading the FZ6 and it was going to run close to $3k to make it something I'd be comfortable taking into a hot corner again. That put me at the price of the FZ1 plus some extra.

After riding it and getting to know her, I can't be happier with the upgrade. After some setup and changes and the new seat, it's a dream bike and I still have more mods to come. This bike litterally falls into the corners. The way she hits the apex and rolls off is astounding to me (compared to the bikes I ran prior to). If I don't get off the seat, it is far to easy to drop the pegs into the asphalt.

Should not be hard to fiqure out why you are with an amazing woman like that. We should all be so lucky. One that both understands and shares your passion, and can beat down the price of a new bike for you ! Who needs a lottery.:bowdown:

Should not be hard to figure out why you are with an amazing woman like that. We should all be so lucky. One that both understands and shares your passion, and can beat down the price of a new bike for you ! Who needs a lottery.:bowdown:

Thanks! :cheers:

You should see her with the Toyota Salesman. We've been with the same guy for 9 years now. When he sees her coming, he immediately starts shivering and whimpering. :D He KNOWS he'd best come out with the rock bottom deal the first time!

She's a keeper. Motorcycles, hunting, fishing, kayaking, computers, football, NASCAR, hockey, baseball and beer. My negotiator! I took the city out of the girl. :p

Keeper

Thanks! :cheers:

You should see her with the Toyota Salesman. We've been with the same guy for 9 years now. When he sees her coming, he immediately starts shivering and whimpering. :D He KNOWS he'd best come out with the rock bottom deal the first time!

She's a keeper. Motorcycles, hunting, fishing, kayaking, computers, football, NASCAR, hockey, baseball and beer. My negotiator! I took the city out of the girl. :p

That first line of your post reminded me. When I was still driving truck up the Alaska Highway I saw a very strange site. As I was slowly going down a long grade near Fort Nelson BC in very snowy and slippery conditions, I saw a Ford Taurus wagon coming up the hill. Something was on the hood, and as it got closer I realised it was a rather large woman. Lying face down and hanging on to the top edge of the hood as her,(presumably) husband drove the front wheel drive up the hill. I had to think she was there to add traction to the front end. When I got to my destination, I related the story to the receiver where I was unloading. His first words where," Well that's a keeper" !
Made me laugh.

Short guy's delight

I am about the shortest guy I know, sitting at 64.5". That's 5'4.5" people; so short the half acutally means something. I am really getting into bikes and do a lot of freeway driving. I went to the dealer to check out an FZ6, since even though I'm under 30 I am not into the 'busa/bling craze and have most of my experience on a dual sport. While there, I saw the FZ1 which was not only stylistically a helluva lot nicer than the FZ6, but better suited for my needs. Two days later my head gasket blew on my XT600 and since I was beyond tired of working on that bike I went back to the dealership to get my bitchin' '09 FZ1. 9 days and 600 miles later, I can tell you there's a new love in my life. I couldn't dream of a better suited bike for me and as a plus, I can even put both balls of my feet down... the best that will ever get.

Its one sexy beast that FZ1...

Started riding motorcycles in 2003 after 20 years of wanting. First bike was a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 which, for me, was a great bike to put my first 20K miles on. My partner rides a V* 1100, and two years ago came back from a ride saying "you need a bike with more power." So, we talk. I liked the FZ1 once I figured out what I liked about motorcycles. She says, "no, lets stay with cruisers." OK, I'm riding, I can do this. End up with a V* 1300T which is a great bike.

So, this year, we do a couple of long trips with some friends mounted up on just about every kind of bike. We go on some of Cali's finest roads, and note that the cruisers are just about the slowest bikes on these roads. She asks "why are we so much slower?" So there is conversation about bike weight, rake dynamics and such, and we go sit on some bikes. Now, I am not going to lie, and say that I didn't steer the direction towards the FZ1 becasue I did.;) We damn near walked out with an 02 with 17K for $4500.

A little research, and two days later bought an 02 with 15K for $3400, thanks a TON to this website. She's got two rides on it of about 300 miles, and can't stop grinning. I am now trying to figure out on how to get an FZ1 for me (AND the tuba that I want). I helpfully pointed out that the country club here in town has LOWERED its inititiation fee to $15K...we could get 2 bikes and a tuba for less than that!!!

I too compared a lot of bikes. I was looking for something sporty, but with an upright seating position. I love nakeds, but don't care for the windblasting they give. I gave the 'Busa, FJR1300, and ZX-14 all good looks, but they were just too big! The BMW and Ducati's were all too expensive! The liter-sportbikes were all a bit too aggressive (I didn't want to ride all hunched over). So, I \"settled\" on the FZ1. The Buell 1125R was my second choice.

I am very happy and pleased with my bike. Honestly, it has much more power than I need; of course, I still want more....

It is quite a change from my old '92 FZR, my DRZ650, and my wife's Burgman!

Wow! I could have written this. All the bikes you considered AND your second choice in the 1125R are exactly what I considered. Wait...did I write this? :th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

I love this bike

I hope this question was asked out of curiosity and not out of ignorance. Not everyone wants a race bike. But I do like to go fast. I like the stabiility of haulin a$$ at 100 mph and feelin like I'm doing 40, and also the beautiful look of the bike (minus the stupid can I've yet to get rid of). The FZ1 is a comuters/travelers bike on steroids, still gettin the girls hot and gettin the job done with minimal effort! Once you get used to the bars, the stance isn't all that bad when you're lighting fires, too...

I had an 02 Honda CBR 600F4i that i loved to look at but not to ride. My now ex wife had made me sell that bike and after divorce i was ready for something new! My first choice was Honda VFR800 Intercepter, in which dealer in next state over had several and i thought i would get good deal. After that dealer refused to come off price of Intercepter i moved to next choice which was Buell XB9S, cause my dad is Harley guy. But before i ever made it to Buell dealer i stopped in for can of Honda spray cleaner polish at local dealer and saw the 08 FZ1 with gold rims and all its glory. I left with the cleaner and called back next day and made offer over phone for the bike, i rode it home the next day...Sooo glad i didnt get the Honda or the Buell. I love the Yamaha!

Back