Why am i shaking past 95mph???

This is not necessarily true , chain, sprocket, output shaft and a host of other drive-train issues can still cause a problem even with the clutch disengaged. ( They all still have to spin even with the clutch pulled in )

Good point. It would only rule out engine/rpm induced wobble.

I'll second that call for new tires and a good spin balance. After that, if you still have trouble, start investigating the other things. But tire and wheel balance are the first suspects.

Don't rule out a bent wheel, either. Have the wheels checked. Have them mounted on a shop rotator and carefully checked for roundness, run-out and dents.

Suggest you stay away for 95 mph and above. You've got four kids, right?

TIRES - Whats the date code? What brand/model? Do yourself a favor and just put on some new rubber. The tires might have good tread depth, but the rubber may be aged past its prime. And as much as you spent for the bike, new tires are a small cost to get the full enjoyment out of it. Michelin PR2's or 3's would be my choice.

ALINGMENT - check you current alingment before you adjust it. Meauser it from the swingarm bolt to make sure that the marks are right.

FORKS - even though there might not be any indications of a fall, you should go through the front end and make sure that it didnt fall down and knock/twist the tubes in the clamps.

I am not Motorcycle Mech. but I am a ASE Master tech automotive mech(work on my own bike) with 30 years experience. The first thing I would do with a complaint like yours after checking tire pressure is remove wheels check the balance and for straightness . Starting anyplace else is a waste of your time and money.

I am not Motorcycle Mech. but I am a ASE Master tech automotive mech(work on my own bike) with 30 years experience. The first thing I would do with a complaint like yours after checking tire pressure is remove wheels check the balance and for straightness . Starting anyplace else is a waste of your time and money.

Agreed ! I'm surprised so many people suggest just throwing a new tire on. Sure that may be the answer but you can check many other things for free or real cheap first.

I never like to just start throwing parts and money at something without first finding the problem, especially if you have things you can check for free/cheap.

Yeah the tire is very likely to be the problem but checking the balance, rim, rotor, chain, sprocket and so on .. is free or close to it.

Agreed ! I'm surprised so many people suggest just throwing a new tire on. Sure that may be the answer but you can check many other things for free or real cheap first.

I never like to just start throwing parts and money at something without first finding the problem, especially if you have things you can check for free/cheap.

Yeah the tire is very likely to be the problem but checking the balance, rim, rotor, chain, sprocket and so on .. is free or close to it.

+1. No sense replacing tires just because. Have a look at the date stamp (though it may not tell much.. they may have been 2 years old before they ever got put on, and still counted as new at that point). Have a close look at the rubber itself, particularly in the grooves.. if you don't see any tiny cracks and there's plenty of rubber left, no need to replace them before you check all the *free* things.

I know exactly why you are shaking past 95...... you know you're breaking the law and your nerves are causing you to react to the adrenaline rush with violent tremors throughout your body.

I just push on to 125+.... The tremors stop because I'm now frozen with fear and excitement!

I didn't say throw away the current tires. If they are in good shape, hang on to them. It's just HIGHLY likely that the problem is the tires. It has 12K on the odometer, and in my case I purchased my '07 with the same mileage on the original Pilot Roads. It needed tires right away, and the difference was huge.

I didn't say throw away the current tires. If they are in good shape, hang on to them. It's just HIGHLY likely that the problem is the tires. It has 12K on the odometer, and in my case I purchased my '07 with the same mileage on the original Pilot Roads. It needed tires right away, and the difference was huge.

True. If those tires are in fact original, they're WAY too old to still be on the bike. So yeah.. if the stamp is from 05 or 06, I wouldn't even look anywhere else.. I'd start by getting new rubber. They'll most definitely have dry rot too. Here is an extreme example:

3161_10101085926262094_778132678_n.jpg

Pretty easy to check your rims for bends while on the bike. Hold or tape something close to a rim mounted on the swing arm or fork and slowly rotate the wheel. If its straight, it will track around the same spot. If not it will be very obvious.

Tires degrade from the moment that they come out of the mold. If they are more than 3-4 yrs old ...

Well OP?

For a very long time, I thought so too. Turns out it's not true. I started researching this when one of the *brand new* tires I bought had a stamp dating back nearly 2 years.

Have a look here: Tyre age and DOT numbers for motorcycle tyre - moto-tyres online @ moto-tyres.co.uk

Have talked to Metzeler and Dunlop.. both confirmed that properly stored tires do not degrade for many years. They begin to age after they're exposed to heat cycling.

For a very long time, I thought so too. Turns out it's not true. I started researching this when one of the *brand new* tires I bought had a stamp dating back nearly 2 years.

Have a look here: Tyre age and DOT numbers for motorcycle tyre - moto-tyres online @ moto-tyres.co.uk

Have talked to Metzeler and Dunlop.. both confirmed that properly stored tires do not degrade for many years. They begin to age after they're exposed to heat cycling.

I've kept tires stored for 3 years with no noticeable degradation. Store them in black plastic garbage bags in a closet.

Keep them bagged, out of the sun, at reasonable temps and they should be fine.

Exposure to sunlight and florescent lighting is what breaks them down.

Would you really expect the manufactuers to tell you any different? That position is in thier best interest, isnt it?

I've kept tires stored for 3 years with no noticeable degradation.

How would you know? Unless you had a brand new 1, put it on and rode it, then put on the old 1 and ride it...

Everybody is always amazed at how good new tires feel. They degrade slowly and are hard to compare.

Why wont you find top racers racing on old stuff?

I still havent seen OP post lately.

Would you really expect the manufactuers to tell you any different? That position is in thier best interest, isnt it?

IN THIS DAY AND AGE OF LIABILITY AND LAWSUITS I HIGHLY DOUBT A TIRE MANUFACTURER WOULD RECOMMEND ANYONE RIDE ON A TIRE THAT'S HAD ANY SIGNIFICANT DEGRADATION .

How would you know? Unless you had a brand new 1, put it on and rode it, then put on the old 1 and ride it...

I'M SURE 99.9% OF STREET RIDERS WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 2 DAY OR 2 YEAR OLD TIRE. LETS BE HONEST HERE WERE NOT VALENTINO ROSSI
( EVEN IF WE LIKE TO PRETEND WE ARE )

Everybody is always amazed at how good new tires feel. They degrade slowly and are hard to compare.

SURE NEW TIRES FEEL GOOD, THE PROFILE IS NOT WORN DOWN OR SQUARED OFF AND THE TIRES HAVE NOT BEEN THROUGH HUNDREDS OR EVEN THOUSANDS OF HEAT CYCLES.

HEAT CYCLES, LIGHT AND EXTREME TEMPS ( HIGH AND LOW ) IS WHAT DEGRADES TIRES.

Why wont you find top racers racing on old stuff?

COME ON REALLY .............. WHEN MARC MARQUEZ STARTS RACING AN FZ ON THE LOCAL STREETS I MAY RETHINK MY POSITION.

I still havent seen OP post lately.

I HOPE HE'S OK !!!

I'm pretty confident of my statement that tires stored out of sunlight or florescent lighting, in a trash bag, at room temperature will have no noticeable degradation over 2-3 years.
I've often purchased a few sets of tires when the price is right and stored them up to 3 years.

I'm pretty confident of my statement that tires stored out of sunlight or florescent lighting, in a trash bag, at room temperature will have no noticeable degradation over 2-3 years.

I've often purchased a few sets of tires when the price is right and stored them up to 3 years.

I agree. They have a special coating as well to help them not degrade. As long as they are properly stored they should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IN THIS DAY AND AGE OF LIABILITY AND LAWSUITS I HIGHLY DOUBT A TIRE MANUFACTURER WOULD RECOMMEND ANYONE RIDE ON A TIRE THAT'S HAD ANY SIGNIFICANT DEGRADATION .

Really? What about the cracked frames? Yamaha did nothing pro-active, leaving it up to the customer to call them.
It seems to me that there are always examples of corps putting profit ahead of safety. Profits when every time and you know it as well as I. And selling inventory is more profitable than throwing them out. And which is it? NO degradation or SIGNIFICANT degradation? Your position was that there wasnt any NOTICEABLE degradation. Those 2 qualifiers are significantly different.

I'M SURE 99.9% OF STREET RIDERS WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 2 DAY OR 2 YEAR OLD TIRE

Ive never claimed to be anyone other than who I am. I can tell the difference when I raced (again, back in the day). And whether or not you can "tell the difference" is the tire, it will effect the handleing, leading to uncertainty as to what the cause is, i.e. our OP.

COME ON REALLY .............. WHEN MARC MARQUEZ STARTS RACING AN FZ ON THE LOCAL STREETS I MAY RETHINK MY POSITION.

You either missed the point or dont want to admit it. It doesnt matter what bike its on. Its the feel that it imparts. A fresh tire handles better than an older tire.

They have a special coating as well to help them not degrade.

What "special coating" is there? You mean the mold release?

A few yrs (decades) ago I was the Metzler tire rep for Cycle Gear at Sears Point. While things might have changed a bit, the basics are still true. Tires are like bread, better when fresh.

Last edited:
Back