which mods for $800

I like what Phil said.

I went the route of gutting BOTH catalytic converters instead of getting a slip on. I gutted the mid pipe catalytic converter AND the catalytic converter in the stock exhaust. I had all the tools, so cheap, and the bike is still quite quiet. I also maintain the stock look, which may not be desirable to some, but I don't get pulled over for a loud flashy bike. I may not have the best airflow, but it is better. If I wanted great I'd buy a full system and PC-V, but then I'd have noise and flash, great for getting pulled over, IMHO.

I blocked off the Air Induction System with some Roth Block-off Plates. I did the Lars Airbox mod and de-screened the stock air filter. I did the Copperdawg secondary butterflies mod (cut them down to 38mm).

After all this 'opening' up of the airflow system my gas mileage has increased by about 5-7 MPG, depending on riding style. I originally would get about 29-33MPG TOTALLY STOCK. I know MPG is not a concern, BUT the bike AT LEAST performed the same, if not better AND I have increased MPG.

These are all cheap to totally FREE mods that you would want to do anyways if you did any of the other POWER mods.

I would try them first and ride to get a feel for the bike.

If you go the PC-V route plan on the cost of a good Dyno tune to get the most bang for your buck.

The fuel line mod that was recommended is also a good one, just don't use the 1/4" fuel line. 5/16" works great and you don't have the struggle of trying to stuff a hamster up a gnats a$$ when trying to get the hose on the stock fitting.

Frame sliders are cheap insurance, along with front axle sliders.

Remove that damn center stand, it's ugly and added weight. Keep it nearby and throw the two bolts in it for when you need to do tire service and oil changes.

I can't speak for it, as I've not done it myself on this bike, but sprocket changes are great ways to move your power from a higher to a lower range. The normal standard is one down in front and three up in back. For this bike I think that would be a little much and if you do any highway riding I think you'd be disappointed in the high RPM's of the engine. If you go the sprocket route I do the 16 tooth up front first and go from there.

tirea are a great performance mod and the stock ones just plain suck.tires that you cant trust arent much of a confidence builder.as many things this is a very subjective subject as many we all have different opinions which is also why so many of the same bikes are so very different.When my bike was brand new b4 I even has 1k miles on it my first mods in order were....16t,AB mod,descreened stock filter MIVV SO,Avon Storm Ultra 2's I pretty much left the bike like that for a season until I started really finding the things I didnt like.after 2 1/2 years I finally added a PC3 which I dont know if I will keep it on as it eats alot more fuel and finally added penske shock and front fork valves and springs.I had ridden the bike enuff that I finally felt my abilities had surpassed what the stock suspension could handle.Of course how much you weigh would also play into supension equation I would say the majority of people go with a SO as a first mod for sound and looks.The MIVV looks and sounds awesome but is kinda pricey at 421 but PJ'S parts is offering free shipping right now Happy modding!!!

Yup, lots of free mods on this bike that are great. do them, along with a used slip-on, K&N, and PC3 or 5. Keep an eye out for bargains and you can do a lot. check out my How-to mod (In the GenII How to section) for a BUNCH of mod's I did that only cost me less than $800 (except for the Ohlins).

apparently mivv discontinued the full carbon fiber suono :frown:. Looks like I'll be getting the GP now or I also considered the Vance & Hines CS One but to me it looks too small in the front. I wish it had a little more volume/body up there.

So it looks like I am going to have to wait on the FCE and go ahead with the PC3 or 5, filter and airbox mod. If that doesn't impress me I'll add the sprocket and speedo healer then possibly the FCE. Sound like a solid plan?

Get the PC V. You can run two maps and you don't need a 9V battery. I got mine at MotoMummy for $270 shipped. Order the one for a 2009 FZ1.

I'm wanting more bottom end out of it. I was far from impressed with it in stock form. I don't ride enough twisties for a rear shock unless it is just that awesome that I need that over more power.

Install a stock gen 1 16 tooth front sprocket and a speedo healer. This will give you some of the low end that you want and correct the speedo.

thanks for the input fellas! I've been doing some reading and have revised my list to better fit my budget.

Mivv GP Carbon Pipe and gut the catalytic converter - $420
Power Commander 5 - $280ish
BMC Filter - $50ish
Fuel Line Fix - $20
16t Sprocket and Speedo healer (maybe) - $110
Airbox mod - Free

If I am not impressed with that I'll step up to the FCE later. I'm stuck in Ohio for the next 7 weeks so parts will accumulate before installation. I'll report back!

Last edited:
Best cheap things to do.

1. Mod the seat, $100 - best mod I did period.
2. Stock tires are the worst, replace them
3. Have suspension set for you. I believe the talk about how bad suspension is exaggerated. It did suck until I adjusted it properly. (unless you are a racer)
4. Slip-on

Beyond that you will spend big $ for small gains.

my to buy list lol, Ivans - block off plates, fuel cut eliminator, sub-throttle plates, DynoJet - Power Commander 3 or 5, Ignition Module, Slip on exhaust

after taking my bike through some serious twisties over the last month, suspension is a must, it bounces all over the damn place. i weigh 220 though but will be maxing out that rear shortly to see if it makes a difference or if it needs to be upgraded, because it was sketchy

Best cheap things to do.

1. Mod the seat, $100 - best mod I did period.
2. Stock tires are the worst, replace them
3. Have suspension set for you. I believe the talk about how bad suspension is exaggerated. It did suck until I adjusted it properly. (unless you are a racer)
4. Slip-on

Beyond that you will spend big $ for small gains.

Small gains?? The GenII responds shockingly well to engine performance mods. How about solid gains from 4k rpm up with an extra 25hp on tap by the time you reach 7K? How about no more throttle snatch. How about linear and super smooth power delivery. The beast is significantly corked up in stock form with less than ideal delivery. Yes it does take some big $ but the gains are for real. . . .

Back