Which Jetkit and why?

TheHaze

I have a K&N filter and a slipon waiting to be installed

Im wondering who.makes the best jetkit? ive read alot from older posts but I was hoping to get a fresh perspective since many of these posts about jetkits are a few years old

any input is appreciated

When I had my 01' I used Ivan's Jet Kit as well. The difference from Stock was very noticeable. No more "dead spot" at 3K and super linear power from 0 to redline. That being said, Dale Walker also makes a great kit for the GenI as well. I chose Ivan's because I met him through a friend back then and his reputation for FZ1's is well noted. That, and I live 30 minutes from his shop so I can have all the work done by him personally. He did my Jet Kit for the FZ1, did my 26K Valve Inspection, and finally Jetted my current YZF1000 which still runs like a swiss watch! He's my kind of Tuner, clean, methodical, and treats your bike as if it's his own.

When I had my 01' I used Ivan's Jet Kit as well. The difference from Stock was very noticeable. No more "dead spot" at 3K and super linear power from 0 to redline. That being said, Dale Walker also makes a great kit for the GenI as well. I chose Ivan's because I met him through a friend back then and his reputation for FZ1's is well noted. That, and I live 30 minutes from his shop so I can have all the work done by him personally. He did my Jet Kit for the FZ1, did my 26K Valve Inspection, and finally Jetted my current YZF1000 which still runs like a swiss watch! He's my kind of Tuner, clean, methodical, and treats your bike as if it's his own.

I rarely did or do open the FZ up so I really cant say for sure how much better it is with the kit in terms of performance.

This is a biased comment ...

After a winter long internet research I came to the conclusion that only Ivan's kit will give me some satisfaction :)

So I got one from UK,installed it (not exactly easy) and BANG it's like I bought a nicely tuned fuel injection bike.. it actually revs smoother than some FI bikes I've ridden .
Can't say anything about a power gain , because of the gain in low&mid rpm the high end power doesn't seem changed .

I usually stay below 9k rpm ... will hit redline only when a honda is near :)
(or a stretched busa)

Other thing that changed .. I get about 0.5l/100km less gas .

Stock air filter(no air-box mods) and a can.

after speaking with who seemed to be ivan I have since returned my unopened k&n filter and purchased ivans slipon kit after he told me a filter is uselss without the ported boots and modded box and therefore requirimg his mb kit

im glad I called them
update coming soon. thanks again guys!

after speaking with who seemed to be ivan I have since returned my unopened k&n filter and purchased ivans slipon kit after he told me a filter is uselss without the ported boots and modded box and therefore requirimg his mb kit

im glad I called them
update coming soon. thanks again guys!

I figured as much. You won't be sorry. Just follow the instructions to "the letter" and if your not sure about something just call him and he will walk you through it.

help I'm freaking out!!

Please excuse the bad grammar and run on sentences I am typing this on my phone.. new member to the site but have been a reader for yrs.. I have a '02 fz1. I let it sit for the last 6 years and decided to get it running this spring. Sent ivan my carbs he cleaned sealed and jetted them with the slip on kit. I cleaned tank , lines, replaced filter.. I also removed the air pump with ivans kit and changed plugs.. also bought the syncher from ivan and u guys that know ivan and pats website I did everything suggested in the whole project. . Exup maintenance. Sensor adjust.. everthing.. as I'm doing all this goodness I decide to change out the motor side carb boots at $40 bucks apiece.. got three off replaced no problem.. the last one to co e off cyl 4 the outside bolts was striped and along story short I ended up breaking the boot off to get at more of the bolt.. well inside the boot there is a ring of aluminum and a thick finer nail clipping size peice fell into the head... wtf ... I stuck a vecum down there and thumbed around with a greased qtip and have no idea if it came out... so I ran it.. runs as ivan would say "over the moon".. but now I'm paranoid and think I hear a little peice of some thing bouncing around the right side of the motor. . Is it still in there?? Is it not mashed up and spit out yet? Omg what's should I do? Am I just hearing the cam chain or?? My bike has 13, 000 miles and like 100 since the tune up.. what do u guys think??

Please excuse the bad grammar and run on sentences I am typing this on my phone.. new member to the site but have been a reader for yrs.. I have a '02 fz1. I let it sit for the last 6 years and decided to get it running this spring. Sent ivan my carbs he cleaned sealed and jetted them with the slip on kit. I cleaned tank , lines, replaced filter.. I also removed the air pump with ivans kit and changed plugs.. also bought the syncher from ivan and u guys that know ivan and pats website I did everything suggested in the whole project. . Exup maintenance. Sensor adjust.. everthing.. as I'm doing all this goodness I decide to change out the motor side carb boots at $40 bucks apiece.. got three off replaced no problem.. the last one to co e off cyl 4 the outside bolts was striped and along story short I ended up breaking the boot off to get at more of the bolt.. well inside the boot there is a ring of aluminum and a thick finer nail clipping size peice fell into the head... wtf ... I stuck a vecum down there and thumbed around with a greased qtip and have no idea if it came out... so I ran it.. runs as ivan would say "over the moon".. but now I'm paranoid and think I hear a little peice of some thing bouncing around the right side of the motor. . Is it still in there?? Is it not mashed up and spit out yet? Omg what's should I do? Am I just hearing the cam chain or?? My bike has 13, 000 miles and like 100 since the tune up.. what do u guys think??

It would be almost impossible to say if that stray piece is rattling around in your motor. These GenI motors are not the quietest to begin with, so noise is normal for them. You'd really have to take a good video clip to even begin to diagnose the situation. Oh, and :welcome:

I figured as much. You won't be sorry. Just follow the instructions to "the letter" and if your not sure about something just call him and he will walk you through it.

I did as Ivan suggested on the instructions. I even adjusted out the mixing screws 5 full turns which seem a bit exesive to me (so much I decided to stuff some teflon tape in the holes as I was scared the screws would fall out). I let it run and iddle a bit and found it was running too rich and stinky. I fashioned a tool together and adjusted the mixing screws with the carbs on the bike. If I remember correctly I'm at 3 1/2 turns out.

I did as Ivan suggested on the instructions. I even adjusted out the mixing screws 5 full turns which seem a bit exesive to me (so much I decided to stuff some teflon tape in the holes as I was scared the screws would fall out). I let it run and iddle a bit and found it was running too rich and stinky. I fashioned a tool together and adjusted the mixing screws with the carbs on the bike. If I remember correctly I'm at 3 1/2 turns out.

I remember when he did my carbs, but I don't believe it was set to 5 turns out. Are you running the stock air box or aftermarket filter?

This is a biased comment ...

After a winter long internet research I came to the conclusion that only Ivan's kit will give me some satisfaction :)

So I got one from UK,installed it (not exactly easy) and BANG it's like I bought a nicely tuned fuel injection bike.. it actually revs smoother than some FI bikes I've ridden .
Can't say anything about a power gain , because of the gain in low&mid rpm the high end power doesn't seem changed .

I usually stay below 9k rpm ... will hit redline only when a honda is near :)
(or a stretched busa)

Other thing that changed .. I get about 0.5l/100km less gas .

Stock air filter(no air-box mods) and a can.

ditto here but after the ivan jet kit install the old girl put down 130hp at rear wheel on dyno so i think there is a bit of a power gain?

So i see that ivan offers some different options, what would be the best one for my bike?

K&N filter
Muzzy's slip on

from ivans website

2001 and up FZ-1 Carb Kit

Part # FZ-0102SO...$120.00 For off road use only
(best bang for the buck)

Part # FZ-0102MB...$120.00 For off road use only
Requires K+N air filter
(slip-ons show no gain over part #FZ0102SO with this kit - except with ported intake boots)

*NEW*
Part # FZ-POD... $ 295.00 For off road use only (Available 3-1-2006)
Carb Kit only $120.00
Custom Velocity stacks - (not available separately without kit)

*NEW*
Part # FZ-PB $210.00
We are offering these hand ported intake boots for the 2001-2005 FZ-1...
These boots will give a solid 5 hp gain above 8000 rpm with no losses in hp at any point of the rpm range - no sacrifices !!

So i see that ivan offers some different options, what would be the best one for my bike?

K&N filter
Muzzy's slip on

from ivans website

2001 and up FZ-1 Carb Kit

Part # FZ-0102SO...$120.00 For off road use only
(best bang for the buck)

Requires K+N air filter
(slip-ons show no gain over part #FZ0102SO with this kit - except with ported intake boots)

*NEW*
Part # FZ-POD... $ 295.00 For off road use only (Available 3-1-2006)
Carb Kit only $120.00
Custom Velocity stacks - (not available separately without kit)

*NEW*
Part # FZ-PB $210.00
We are offering these hand ported intake boots for the 2001-2005 FZ-1...
These boots will give a solid 5 hp gain above 8000 rpm with no losses in hp at any point of the rpm range - no sacrifices !!

Well since you already got the slip-on and K&N filter I would go with this one:

Requires K+N air filter

I suppose if you can afford it the ported boots are also a nice "upgrade".

ivans mod air box

the mb kit is easy just a 1" hole through the top of the box and remove the rubber topper but dont lose the side cover rubber parts. the covers will not fit if you remove those. the funnel on the inside of the cover needs to be cut in half and flush with the top for the side facing the carbs. allows for unrestricted air flow. more air more fuel. remember to tune and sync your carbs after or it will run lean. there just saved you 140$ for three pictures.

Back