Where to install rocker switch on Gen II FZ1?

Well I brought my bike into the shop to see if I needed a new rear sprocket or chain and they said no, but they did tell me I needed new tires to pass safety inspection. Original Dunlops Sportmax are on there right now - I'm sticking with sport tires and getting Michelin Pilot Power 3s. From what I've read they are solid tires. I have 7,7xx miles on the bike, bought it with about 5,200 two years ago.

They also told me that I wouldn't pass safety inspection with my rear integrated tail light since I don't have separate rear turn signals. I didn't know this (stupidly) after I installed the integrated tail light last year otherwise would have wired it as plug and play. Now the shop is going to rewire the integrated tail light and add separate rear turn signals (hopefully can use OEM ones I gave them) and mount them to my aftermarket plate bracket somehow. Then I will remove the turn signals and use my integrated tail light as usual... What a PITA...

Anyways took a before pic today and wanted to share... Will post another next week when I pick her back up. This will be my first time with new tires on a motorcycle.

MY QUESTION: I've always wanted heated grips so I can ride later in the Fall, but where do you all have your switches mounted? I am getting the heated grips installed with the rocker switch for Low, High, and Off. I don't have the time to install them. Rocker switch is similar to the pic attached.

Thanks,

Zac

Last edited:
Just get the oxford heated grips. Mount the control on your right handle bar with the bracket provided. I added a relay and a distribution strip on my bike at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I installed my switch (same as yours) in the panel on top of the left fairing. It's easy to reach and looks almost factory.

That was the first hole I drilled in my bike. Must have measured five times. I also recommend a step drill bit and several trial fits.

View attachment 17280

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

Here's my locations for the rocker for the grip heaters and the marine-grade ciggy outlet.

attachment.php

Here's my locations for the rocker for the grip heaters and the marine-grade ciggy outlet.

17281d1397388604-where-install-rocker-switch-gen-ii-fz1-dsc01492.jpg

Wow I love that location for the rocker! Going to call the shop tomorrow and change the mounting location. Was going to put on flat fairing part below but I like the "dashboard" type look better like you have it. Thank you. I will mention to use a step drill bit like Clyde recommended, he better be damn careful installing this! Will have him relay to battery and fuse it.

Where in NH do you live? Maybe sometime this spring/summer I will head up there.. NH has some pretty good roads I hear! :)

I live in Dover, just north of Portsmouth. Wife and I take the bikes up to the White Mountains all the time... great roads to tour up there! We also trek down the coastal route to the North Shore at times too. Favorite stop is Rockport. Let me know if you intend to head this way. You'll have to FZ's to accompany you up here. :D

Wow I love that location for the rocker! Going to call the shop tomorrow and change the mounting location. Was going to put on flat fairing part below but I like the "dashboard" type look better like you have it. Thank you. I will mention to use a step drill bit like Clyde recommended, he better be damn careful installing this! Will have him relay to battery and fuse it.

I like it too. Easy to reach and doesn't get much of the weather when riding. Both of us have these... the pic is her bike. ;)

I live in Dover, just north of Portsmouth. Wife and I take the bikes up to the White Mountains all the time... great roads to tour up there! We also trek down the coastal route to the North Shore at times too. Favorite stop is Rockport. Let me know if you intend to head this way. You'll have to FZ's to accompany you up here. :D

Cool! Yeah my gf lives in Salem which is close to Rockport. I've been a few times there very neat coastal town but never in the white mtns area. That would be a blast.

Back