where are the sport bikes

I've been out and about trying to put down some miles on the new FZ1 and I'm amazed at the ratio of cruiser to sport bike that I see here in Lower Alabama. I see at least 20 cruisers for every sport bike. I know that over the last twenty years many new riders, and some existing riders, like myself, have moved back and forth from sport to cruiser or vice versa, but I've crossed the line several times and if a person looks at the advancement in motorcycles, he will also see that the cruiser (Harley style) has stayed very close in overall stature. The first "sport bike" I had was actually a standard by todays definition, a Kawasaki 500 triple. It went like hell but didn't handle worth a hoot. Then as the years accumulated, the bikes got sharper and sharper. For many riders, being leaned over in a full race crouch, doesn't cut the mustard for every day riding. I know the alure of speed and a psudo-racebike look for young beginers but for the more tenured riders a good handling bike with a moderate posture makes for a more tollerable every-day ride. I try to ride every day and on most days 200 miles are just an average day. The FZ1 is just about as sharp a bike as my body can deal with. I'm not in a situation where I can have two bikes. Seat height in the 32-34 inch levels automatically eliminate a lot of riders. Seats that are little better than a pine board also keep many riders away from sport bikes. If the manufactures could give a little in seat height/construction and handlebar position, I think we might just start to see more riders on sport bikes vs. the Buffalo wagons with straight pipes.

There is also the adjustibility factor by having different links for the rear. Raise/lower 1" or even have an adjustable for even more fine tuning.

I seem to gravitate to the traditional street riding position, but only b/c I started with the normal upright of the FZ (and that may not be upright enough by some standards). Riding in a tucked position only make me think about lowering/moving the bars forward, plus always putting weight over the front end for control.

I had gone 8 months w/o seeing another FZ, and just the other day I saw two others. I see the cruisers, and the first thought that comes to mind is helmet, b/c no one wears one.

Yet all the sportbike riders are......

BroHay

You may have noticed that I didn't jump right in on this post. Well, it's because, well, I too went over to the dark side for a while! I know, it's hard to believe, I don't know what happened. Something came over me and I started down that dangerous road. I did however come to my senses after 6 months. I can say however, if it wasn't for my cruiser, I would have never been able to sell it and buy my FZ1. Here is my "before and after".
BEFORE:
MustangSeat.jpg

AFTER:
dcp_4345.jpg

I will never stray again, I promise.

I did the same thing, tried the Harley thing for 3 years and then came back to sport bikes, went from an FZ6 to a Harley Softail Deuce to my FZ1. I tried to sell that Harley for over a year so I could get my FZ1, couldn't wait to get back on a bike with some performance:

Before:
9-6-07014.jpg

After:
GlacierTrip7-08065-1.jpg

I did the same thing, tried the Harley thing for 3 years and then came back to sport bikes, went from an FZ6 to a Harley Softail Deuce to my FZ1. I tried to sell that Harley for over a year so I could get my FZ1, couldn't wait to get back on a bike with some performance

I see your before -- and though it is the norm, I particularly don't fancy it. Maybe if I rode one I would have a better understanding. Probably not....

Now your after -- I do so LOVE the lines of both the Gen I and II FZ and commend you on your choice and color!

BroHay

May be cruisers in Lower Alabama, but just take a quick ride to Northeast Georgia (Blairsville, Suches, Dalonaga). Sport bike heaven. Twisties everywhere. Take a ride up the the Dragon's Tail between NC and TN. The cruisers take it but drag on every turn. At Deal's Gap it is fun just to watch how many different types of bikes there are out there.

Back