When do you require a power commander

2007 Fz1.
1. I gutted the cat, and the bike still runs good.
2. Want to add a K&N filter?
3. Air box mod?

When do you require a power commander?

2007 Fz1.
1. I gutted the cat, and the bike still runs good.
2. Want to add a K&N filter?
3. Air box mod?

When do you require a power commander?

Plenty of people with those three mods and not using a PC. I think there are certain mods that will definitely need the PC, i.e full exhaust, removed or smaller secondary throttle 'flies, etc.

That being said a PC can help fine tune the fueling eve on a stock bike...

You need a power commander when you need MORE POWWEEEERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

j/k (sort of). I have a slip on and K&N, have not done the airbox mod or cat gut. Bike runs great so far, and I don't want to add a power commander until I can get on a dyno, because I haven't found a source I trust for a map. Every source for maps I see doesn't show a map for that particular set of 4 mods. If anyone can point me the right way I'd like it...

since you're in the US, you need a power commander. for every bike sold in the US, stock or modified. now that you've modified your bike, it needs it even more. every bike sold in the US has been neutered by EPA emissions regulations. so, get your pc3, find a proper dyno tuner, get a custom fuel map made for it, make sure its a 13.2:1 ish fuel ratio across the board, make sure they tune full and part throttle, to give you a proper full map

I also have an 07. Currently, I'm running a Yoshi TRC slip on, gutted cat, and Lars air box mod without PC. I was already fine just running the slip on and gutted cat, but I was skeptical about doing the airbox mod without PC. A few members here told me they were running like that fine, but I was still skeptical. After checking my plugs, and also wiping soot off the pipe, I knew that I was running rich with TRC and slip on. So, I started small on the airbox by only chopping off the snorkel, and after doing that, it felt better. After wiping all the previous soot off the exhaust, more accumulated, but less this time, indicating that it was still running rich, but not as rich. So then I just decided to go for the full Lars mod, and I guarantee you it definitely helped my bike with no negative side effects. Once again, I have checked my pipe, and the re is still soot, but just barely any. So if anything, it seems that I've moved the A/F ratio closer to optimal :) I believe that the 07's run richer than the rest. My reasoning behind this is, if you compare an 07 with say a 2010, I along with other 07 owners get worse gas mileage than the guys with other years. The richer you run, the worse mileage you get, and the opposite is true that the leaner you are, the better mileage you get. I used to average 30-32mpg, but on my last tank after I did the Lars mod, I got 36 mpg, and I rode that whole tank with a heavy hand on Skaggs Springs Road. I would say if you don't want to cut up your air box then realize you need power commander, you can try doing the snorkel mod first. You just cut off the scoop part, which leaves the hole about the same size or just slightly bigger, but gives you a bit more direct air flow without having to make a sharp curve. Hope this helps.

After talking with several different shops and the head customer service manager at Two Brothers Racing, they said to do a PC after you do anything to mod the airbox or air filter. They said the bike will run too lean without at PC to adjust for the change in air:fuel ratio.

I know people have been running without the PC, so it's all about risk reward IMO. If you want to risk any potential future engine damage from running too lean or plan on getting rid of the bike before it becomes apparent then why not enjoy the reward of better performance.

Don't skimp out, if you are going to make wholesale changes to the exhaust and intake you will benefit greatly from having it all tuned up correctly with a PC.
After I had my bike custom tuned it ran so much better, it wasn't funny.
It was smoother and felt more powerful everywhere.
The tuner commented that I had a lean bog at around 6000 rpm before the tune.

Sent from my GT-I9300

I guess it depends on the individual components. i had a Leo Vince slip on and when i added a k&N filter the bike went lean at small throttle openings so I added a PCV. I could hear popping before the PCV so I had plugged the AIS. As soon as I added little fuel in the 0 column the popping stopped completely.

I use a map which is close to my modifications and now the bike does not have any popping anymore and the mpg are fine. That's good enough for me. The Fz1 has so much power that I do not need a better map ;).

you are all missing the point. stock bikes need power commanders. stock bikes run and ride like crap compared to a properly tuned stock bike. if you then do anything at all to modify it, you really need a power commander and a custom fuel map built by a dyno tuner. not a downloaded piece of crap map from the internet, a custom built map tailored specifically to your bike. but what do i know, i only work with one of the best dyno tuners on the west coast.

you are all missing the point. stock bikes need power commanders. stock bikes run and ride like crap compared to a properly tuned stock bike. if you then do anything at all to modify it, you really need a power commander and a custom fuel map built by a dyno tuner. not a downloaded piece of crap map from the internet, a custom built map tailored specifically to your bike. but what do i know, i only work with one of the best dyno tuners on the west coast.

I tuned my bike and the FZ8 with the mid ship exhaust/R1 cams using Autotune and LCD-200. (Learn from the Beast...LOL) Work even better. Going on the dyno with the FZ8 tonight or tomorrow... map and cam tuning are done!

Last edited:

I've been saying this for years and for every bike I've owned. Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Follow up

OK since most feel it is a good idea to get a power commander for my 07 FZ1:

Which model is best for my bike?

Best place to buy a power commander?

Thanks In Advance

I've been saying this for years and for every bike I've owned. Thank you.

you're welcome

OK since most feel it is a good idea to get a power commander for my 07 FZ1:

Which model is best for my bike?

Best place to buy a power commander?

Thanks In Advance

it's not a feeling it's a fact. every. single. bike. imported. and. sold. in. the. united. states. of. america. NEEDS A POWER COMMANDER....i say that not just to you but for everyone.

PC3-USB is all you need. look up Discount motorcycle parts, motorcycle accessories,yoshimura exhaust, shoei helmet they usually sell for $260ish brand new and the shipping is cheap.

it's not a feeling it's a fact. every. single. bike. imported. and. sold. in. the. united. states. of. america. NEEDS A POWER COMMANDER....i say that not just to you but for everyone.

Well I disagree, a tune will only work optimal in the environmental conditions it was done. Most tuners do not even simulate the wind due to the speed of the bike. I ride a lot (20-25k miles a year) and since a very long time and ready such a statement makes me sad. All bikes I owned were fine as they were stock. Of course you can get more power out of them but you do not need a power commander unless you want more power or make modifications on the bike. I had several bikes in Germany were we use them much more (lots of high speed riding not like here in the US) and never had any issues with bike running lean and the emission laws there are not less restricting like here in the US.

I was talking to Neville when He dyno-tuned my bike and he was telling me how a local dealer was selling a slip on with every new GSXR they sold, all the bikes were coming to him to get dyno-tuned and every bike with the same slip on ended up with a slightly different map. He said a map off the net may get you close, but a dyno-tune for your specific bike is always best.

He also does run fans to simulate the bike at speed. Once I get the headers on my bike, it will be going back to get re-tuned. There are three vents coming out of the ceiling and two big grey fans on the floor, one you can clearly see, the other you can see the edge of behind the bike.

Back