Whats the engine sound tell you ?

What does the engine sound say ?

Hey Guys, Recently got this bike with 90k miles(lol) thats a lot I know . If I am not wrong seems like the engine sound is more than when i got it. What do your experiences tell you about the engine.
The bike pulls great but the gearbox is notchy and not as smooth as I would like it to be. I am thinking going synthetic or atleast an oil change on it though the last oil change was 1200 miles back as per records.

Thanks

FZ1 Engine Sound - YouTube

Last edited:
I cant detect any "wrong" sounds.. Actually I think sounds great!
I would change oil tho perhaps synthetic. If you don't like it go back to reg or semi-synthetic.

double post. Forum server going ku-ku

forumvk.png

Last edited:
From your sound clip, I couldn't hear anything abnormal.
These FZ1 engines are noisy - they have a lot of "clatter" noise to them. Always have.

I think ... just ride ... and have fun.

I cant detect any "wrong" sounds.. Actually I think sounds great!
I would change oil tho perhaps synthetic. If you don't like it go back to reg or semi-synthetic.

Can I use Rotella T6 5w-40w synthetic on this bike ? Its a 2001

For some reason I read other FZ1 Gen 2 threads and ended up buying that oil. Not sure if its the right oil. I am CA and it gets about 80~100 in the summer :)

Can I use Rotella T6 5w-40w synthetic on this bike ? Its a 2001

For some reason I read other FZ1 Gen 2 threads and ended up buying that oil. Not sure if its the right oil. I am CA and it gets about 80~100 in the summer :)

why not. RotellaT6 5w-40w is all I use, (FL) Make sure you change oil filter to.
Amazon has them KN-204 , Walmart for oil.

For anyone following this thread. I did change the oil to synthetic Rotella T6 5w40 and the bike is running smooth. The gear changes are smooth. It ofcourse did not take away all the notchiness but I can definitely feel it to be better than before. I have done about 100 miles on the bike since.

For anyone following this thread. I did change the oil to synthetic Rotella T6 5w40 and the bike is running smooth. The gear changes are smooth. It ofcourse did not take away all the notchiness but I can definitely feel it to be better than before. I have done about 100 miles on the bike since.

great news ! :cheers:

The valves sound a little loud but other than that it sounds good.
My bike has 37k on it and the valve cover has never been off. My 01 sounds quieter than that but my exhaust is louder tho so that may be it.

great news ! :cheers:

Hey - your bike sounds (and looks) exactly like mine. I swear by synthetic oil for all my vehicles. My CBR 600 had 45k miles on it when I sold it and it ran perfectly smooth. I am on my first oil change with my 2001 new-to-me FZ1 and it is just getting to 3,000 miles from my first oil change and shifting is little rougher. The oil was pretty dirty when I got it and I'm not sure if it was synthetic. I changed oil, used synthetic. Changed the oil again after about 1,000 miles when I did the valves. OEM recommended oil change interval is 4,000 miles but I am changing it this weekend.

BTW, do you want to hit some curves Saturday night or Sunday first thing in the morning? It would be a lot cooler in the morning...

Back