What will hapen if i undo the Airbox Mod?

sychodan

Hi all together,

My Fz1 GenII has foolowing Mods:

Airbox Mod, Full exhaust (Arrow and Akrapovic) , Pipercross air filtre, Ivan´s Sub thottle plates, PC 5 with Ivans Map E , FCE , 16 T and Speedo.

I really really really love the bike now it pulls hard, drives smooth, really great :)

But the only thing thats annoying me very much is the sound after the modding the airbox . Its growling (the growling is something i can live with it) but there are some resonances too, and they definitely come from the airbox :(
and that is really nerving even if i only do a short run.

I have a second none moded airbox at home. so what will hapen if i install that? is everything else rediculus after i´ve done that?

Sorry for my rather bad english ;)

Best wishes from germany,
dan

I found these bikes a little more difficult to tune with the airbox mod. I got just about the same power either way but I like the sound on the cut airbox. I have both airbox bottoms so that I can go back and forth testing things, but for now it is cut.

One other FZ1 I tune, has retained with a stock airbox.

Beast

For about 1000 kilometers , i think ghat are 600 miles ;-)

Well , maybe ivan sees this thread and post also his oppinion :)

But ill think ill give it a try , and switch back at the weekend

so guys i want to keep you up to date:

after a long long day it tried severaly things:

First i took off the vent , and the cooler cover so that this 2 things cannot participate here ;)

Test 1 Ride: Airbox mod, Pipercross filter - growling and som nerving resonances

Test 2: stock airbox, pipercross filter , less growling but still reso.

Test 3: stock airbox, stock filter, no growling , still resonances !! aaahhh

ok then i continued reading through the forums.
a user called Cougar or Cougar had the same problem like me , 5 years ago. His solution was to sync the TB new, and then it was gone.

I think i´ll try that and buying a carb sync-tool.

the only thing thats a little confusing is that my machine is coming freshly from the 10.000 km service at yamaha dealer, but i think the didnt sync it (on the paper i got i couldnt find anything about syncing the TB´s)

best regards, and again, sorry for my english ;)
dan

Dart1963 is correct, if you do a little research on the thermo wax unit and throttle body linkage its apparent a throttle-body sync only effects idle on the Gen II.

I don't want to sound disrespectful but maybe your just a little more sensitive to noise and vibration than most other people ??

Your other thread was about annoying intake noise and resonance with the airbox and now a thread about vibration.

You are sitting on top of 135 or more horsepower its going to make a little noise and let you know its actually running :)

I know my FZ1 has acceptable levels of intake noise and vibration compared to the last 20 bikes I've owned.

My point is most of what your experiencing is probably considered normal to most owners but don't let me discourage you from trying to improve YOUR bike in areas YOU consider to be a problem. Maybe we can all benefit from your work. :)

Am I the only one who chopped the airbox and had no change in intake noise? I do still have stock flies, would that be the difference?

Am I the only one who chopped the airbox and had no change in intake noise? I do still have stock flies, would that be the difference?

I doubt the flies make a difference. I wonder if you cut your airbox as much as others have because the extra noise would be quite apparent.

Back