What was your first street bike

A brand new 1976 Honda CB550 four piper .... one of the great bikes of that era, and of any era. Smooth, well detailed, just an excellent example of what Honda does best. They are primitive today in regards to hp, brakes, handling, headlights, tires, etc but these bikes were just plain fun to get out on and enjoy a summer afternoon. If I recall correctly the price was about $1,600 in 1976, not exactly cheap but Honda sold tons of the CB5550's over it's lifetime. Just an excellent machine.

large.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet looking ride Matt! Sorry to hear she was swiped. Same deal with my GSXR750. Chained to my front fence, wheel lock, gone in 3 hours! If they want it badly enough........:shaking head:

Yep, my Dad always told me, "Locks are there to keep honest people honest." That is so true. All you can ever hope to do is make stealing something to inconvenient to want to take it. All someone needs to do is have about 3 or 4 guys drive by in a truck with a trailer. Cut any chains and lift it onto the flatbed. I'm guessing about 30 seconds if they know what they are doing. I hate people that steal. That includes politicians too, but that subject is rightfully taboo here, so I won't get started!

Anyway, my first street legal bike was my first bike. It was a 1978 Yamaha DT100 2-stroke single. I rode it on the street a little, but mostly in the dirt (for legal reasons, since I was 8 when I got it). I just had a red Bell open face helmet with goggles and some MX padded leather gloves. That worked for the dirt and the type of riding I did then.

Yamaha-DT100-Stainless-Engine-Casing-Screws-1974-83_700_600_2WCEU.jpg

Not mine, but I still own it and this is very close to what it looks like.

I saved up my summer job money and bought a new 1986 Yamaha XT350 when I was 16. This was the first bike I rode on the street legally. I took the rider saftey course to get my 150cc + license in IL. I loved that bike. There was a guy that went to the same HS that had a Rebel 250. He lived close to me, and some days we would see each other at the same stop sign on the way to school. I could spank that Rebel... LOL I knew there weren't many bikes I had a chance to out run, and I was frankly surprised I could beat the Rebel, and by how much I could beat it!

12581_0_10_3_xt%20350_W.V.Griffin%201986%20Xt350%20(2400%20miles)%20N.C..jpg

Again, not mine, but that bike met a sad end :( This one looks just like mine did.

I've ridden many other bikes over the years, but they were owned by my cousin or my brother, or someone else. The only bike I've owned that is street only is my current 2007 FZ1 bought in 2010 with 16xx miles on it.

Last edited:
1st street legal bike that I owned was a Honda XL350. Tried it in the dirt but I preferred the light weight of two strokes so it stayed as my road bike until I got an RD350 Yamaha.

Back