What type of riding gear and when ??

Seattle_superhwk

So i thought i would ask all. What type of riding gear do you wear ? Does it depend on the distance you are about to travel ? Does it depend on where you are about to ride ? IE: twisties, backroads or freeway ?? Myself i gear up all gear all the time. But i see were i am tempted to just throw on the basics, Lid, gloves and jacket when taking a quick ride to the store.

I see these "flip flop" wearing idiots on GSXR's mostly... shorts, no gloves and with a passenger wearing the same... Not knocking GSXer riders but that bike attracts bigger idiots than others i have seen.......:wtf:

Your thoughts....what do you wear and when ? :chat:

It depends on the weather and type of riding.

For hot Texas weather I like mesh/leather hybrids. Mesh gear with leather in all the impact locations.

For cold weather I like either textile or leather with an aqvailable quilted liner.

For rain I just use rain suits that I can quickly pull over my existing gear. Get a set for any long trip. Frog Toggs are awesome because they take up hardly any space. I went the cheaper route with a Cycle Gear BUILT 2 piece rain suit since I am rarely ever in rain.

In spring and fall I just stick my head out the back door and decide what combination of the above I am going to wear.

For any real aggressive riding regardless of temperature I will wear leather.

Even if all I am doing is warming up my chain after cleaning and before lubricating I put my gear on. Even for a ride up to the corner store to top off the tank I put all my gear on. I have seen the serious damage a fall off my mountain bike can cause even at 5mph. I take it seriously.

Last edited:
So i thought i would ask all. What type of riding gear do you wear ? Does it depend on the distance you are about to travel ? Does it depend on where you are about to ride ? IE: twisties, backroads or freeway ?? Myself i gear up all gear all the time. But i see were i am tempted to just throw on the basics, Lid, gloves and jacket when taking a quick ride to the store.

I see these "flip flop" wearing idiots on GSXR's mostly... shorts, no gloves and with a passenger wearing the same... Not knocking GSXer riders but that bike attracts bigger idiots than others i have seen.......:wtf:

Your thoughts....what do you wear and when ? :chat:

I agree with Hail - put it all on. I keep it basic - hot or cold. Padded leather pants, Belstaff jacket, Motocross boots ( yes, and they saved my leg from an illegal U turn by an idiot in a car) x3 gloves according to weather. Must admit I'm all black and not lit up in colour but that's just me. Put it all on! Cheers.

Since I ride only during dry weather I use the following:

Summer (if going to a beach) : kevlar jeans, gloves, back protector, protective shoes, mesh jacket with protectors, Jet Helmet.......

Summer (going for a ride) : Undersuit vest, Leather one piece suit (BERIK Imola LS1 4494 - FC-Moto.de), gloves, full helmet, back protector, boots

City: Leather jacket, kevlar jeans, protective shoes, back protector, gloves - in summer

Winter: Winter jacket, skiing pants with protectors (the are far more warmer then the dainese winter pants, and also have protectors on the knees, butt and on the sides), boots, heavy duty gloves and neopreme mask....

Regardless of everything I try to keep safe at all times, from my point of view it's better to wear a little bit more gear than go out like some other guys in short pant's, all-star shoes and a t-shirt.

If I'm going out just for a fun ride, going on tour or a trackday--I wear my leathers.

If I'm going somewhere and need to look like a human being (work, groceries, parties, anywhere that I need to have street clothes), I wear my Aerostich Roadcrafter

I always wear a leather jacket with sewn in armor- if i'm just going to the store I wear jeans, if I'm going somewhere squiggly in a hurry I wear leather pants. Always full gloves and boots.

If you asked me this 25 years ago it would have been shorts, t-shirt (maybe), sun glasses and runners. Oh and always thin riding gloves.
Now older and wiser always ride with full Joe Rocket gear and full face helmet hot or cold. Same goes for sledding never ride without body armour it is the difference from crashing brushing yourself off and continue riding and a ride to the hospital.

Last edited:
mmm gear. Thong count?

middle_12-11-2010-13-41-28_PMhVp.jpg

T-Shirt, Shorts and Sneakers here in Texas....with a Full Face Helmet and Gloves...thats about it....you will burn up in anything else...in the summer...try and leave the thong chick at the house....lol....

I'm in Texas and you'll NEVER catch me in shorts, sneakers and a tshirt on my bike. EVER. I rode all last year as bad as it got, in at least jeans, jacket, gloves and helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4cd56f0a-36af-d89c.jpg

Road rash sucks... After this, our Captain found a way to have a versatile textile jacket with armor issued to our unit... Wear motorcycle gear.
4cd56f0a-3773-f24a.jpg

This was another of our guys... You can't control what the other driver does. He had no time to react and the driver made a left in front of him. He had the new armor jacket.

Since I ride only during dry weather I use the following:

Summer (if going to a beach) : kevlar jeans, gloves, back protector, protective shoes, mesh jacket with protectors, Jet Helmet.......

Summer (going for a ride) : Undersuit vest, Leather one piece suit (BERIK Imola LS1 4494 - FC-Moto.de), gloves, full helmet, back protector, boots

City: Leather jacket, kevlar jeans, protective shoes, back protector, gloves - in summer

Winter: Winter jacket, skiing pants with protectors (the are far more warmer then the dainese winter pants, and also have protectors on the knees, butt and on the sides), boots, heavy duty gloves and neopreme mask....

Regardless of everything I try to keep safe at all times, from my point of view it's better to wear a little bit more gear than go out like some other guys in short pant's, all-star shoes and a t-shirt.

Smart Man.

4cd56f0a-36af-d89c.jpg

Road rash sucks... After this, our Captain found a way to have a versatile textile jacket with armor issued to our unit... Wear motorcycle gear.
4cd56f0a-3773-f24a.jpg

This was another of our guys... You can't control what the other driver does. He had no time to react and the driver made a left in front of him. He had the new armor jacket.

OUCH!!! I did that in 1983, and in 2012 I still have "rocks" coming out of my forearm. Wear The Gear!!!

he sounds like a real winner of a cop.....probably bored to death.....at least he is not pulling you over...got rid of my 02 FZ1 and got a 01 Vmax...then traded the Vmax for a 06 FZ1....it was a good trade...glad to have the 06, i regretted trading the older FZ1...but this fuel injection is great...i have pics of it; check it out... Missy I knew I was going to catch some flack for what i wear when i ride...but i just don't ride a lot....round the block couple times a week....

he sounds like a real winner of a cop.....probably bored to death.....at least he is not pulling you over...got rid of my 02 FZ1 and got a 01 Vmax...then traded the Vmax for a 06 FZ1....it was a good trade...glad to have the 06, i regretted trading the older FZ1...but this fuel injection is great...i have pics of it; check it out... Missy I knew I was going to catch some flack for what i wear when i ride...but i just don't ride a lot....round the block couple times a week....

That's right, I think we've had this conversation before. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back