What is your average Coolant temp?

So I rode to work today, the parkway had a lot of traffic on it. As a result my coolant temp was reading over 200 farenheight for a good amount of time while in traffic. The fan would kick on around 210 and it would bring the temp down. Now when I was at speed the temp was around 175-180. Is 210 something to be concerned with? The bike only has 450 miles.

Thanks

That seems to be my readings in those conditions as well. This engine gets hot real fast. I think the manual said something like up to 242 was rideable. I could be off on this.

I've read 209 once but I was in stop and go traffic in about 75 degree weather. Where I live it is usually less than 90 and I almost never run in tight traffic. The manual says above 283 stop and let it cool down so you have a long way to go before you're in trouble. Make sure your coolant is where it's supposed to be.

This is what I don't understand about manufacturers. I am assuming that just like a car, there is some sort of electrical sensor that triggers the cooling fans to come on at a certain temperature level. Why is it that for longevity they just don't set it up for, lets say, 195 degrees?? Wouldn't that make sense?? This way the engine would stay cooler. I know about the "fan mod" that lots of guys have done which has helped if your really worried about temperatures being a bit high.

mine runs 175-185f on open road above 80-85 ambient.
pull into a neighborhood cruise around for couple min's and its above 200.

This is what I don't understand about manufacturers. I am assuming that just like a car, there is some sort of electrical sensor that triggers the cooling fans to come on at a certain temperature level. Why is it that for longevity they just don't set it up for, lets say, 195 degrees?? Wouldn't that make sense?? This way the engine would stay cooler. I know about the \"fan mod\" that lots of guys have done which has helped if your really worried about temperatures being a bit high.

I agree 100%. Cars seem to be much more sophisticated this way. Hot, cold, stop and go, etc the egine in a car appears to stay the same temperature. I'm old enough to remember having to shut off my air conditioning in stop and go so the engine wouldn't overheat. Or worse, having to turn the heat on to cool the engine. I think most motorcycle engines are probably "a generation behind" car engines in this way. But I'm a mechanical moron so don't pay too much attention to me.

You mean yous guys have sensors that tell you the temperature instead of having to open the cap (get sprayed initially) and if your seared flesh does not give you an accurate reading, you are sol b/c the water level has dropped to low.

Now you have to come up with plan "b".....

my fan doesnt work at all :cry: went to a garage, the guys had a look at it... the fan is ok, the fuses too. it just doesnt turn on. but its working when you conect the earth wire to the frame. this way its working non stop thou :banghead: interesting case... anybody has an idea what could be the problem? thermostat (not sure how to spell it)?

I agree 100%. Cars seem to be much more sophisticated this way. Hot, cold, stop and go, etc the egine in a car appears to stay the same temperature. I'm old enough to remember having to shut off my air conditioning in stop and go so the engine wouldn't overheat. Or worse, having to turn the heat on to cool the engine. I think most motorcycle engines are probably \\"a generation behind\\" car engines in this way. But I'm a mechanical moron so don't pay too much attention to me.

These "high" temperatures that you see on both motorcycles and cars are done mostly for emissions purposes. Also trust me the temperature gauge in your car is made to hardly move on purpose. Manufactures don't want spooked customers complaining all the time because they think their cars are running too hot. If you ever own a car with a digital gauge you will see the same temperature fluctuations that you see with the motorcycle. This was the case with both Corvettes ('94 and '02) that I have owned over the years.

These \"high\" temperatures that you see on both motorcycles and cars are done mostly for emissions purposes. Also trust me the temperature gauge in your car is made to hardly move on purpose. Manufactures don't want spooked customers complaining all the time because they think their cars are running too hot. If you ever own a car with a digital gauge you will see the same temperature fluctuations that you see with the motorcycle. This was the case with both Corvettes ('94 and '02) that I have owned over the years.

Ah, that's good to know. Thanks.

If my Gen II over heats I turn off the AC and turn the heater on high with the windows down. My fan goes on at 210 and brings it down to 200 while sitting at a red light. I might switch to Water Wetter for Sacramento Summers, plus I want to try a track day.

Keep it about 5k RPMs and you will not have any problems.

At red lights? :)

NJFZ1 is correct. I work for a automotive wire harness supplier, and most new cars today are factory-set to keep all the gauge needles centered becase that's what people like to see. (They are really nothing more than the old "idiot lights" as we used to call them. Once the temp goes "high" - the gauge will almost-instantly rise to "hot."

Back to the original topic - mine is the same. 165 while cruising in cool air, about 185 on hot days, and sitting still is goes over 200 fast. I wired-in a over-ride switch so I can start my fans at red-lights before it gets hot.

Last edited:
If the ambient outside is cold, such as 50 degrees F. or below, and I keep moving, then the coolant temp. will run about 163 - 165 F.
As the ambient rises to about 80 degrees F., and I keep moving, the temp. will run about 175 - 185 F.
If the ambient is 95 F., and I keep moving, the temp. may run 190 - 195 F.
If stopped, and it is very cold and windy, the temp. may run 175 - 200.
If stopped, and ambient is 80 or above, temp rises to about 210, and the fans come on. Temp cools down to about 195 and fans turn off.
In heady traffic, on a very hot day, while stopped, the maximum coolant temp. I have seen is 214F.

Back