what is this??

reignman

i was just washing my bike and noticed this magnet near the kickstand. it is super strong. im pretty sure it isnt factory as it doesnt look like it belongs there. im thinking maybe its one of those magnets thats supposed to help traffic light sensors notice you on a bike. just seems like a weird spot to decide to put one of those. what do you guys think?

As soon as I read "magnet", I thought of magnets used in the oil pan, oil drain plug, or oil filter to help attract metal filings. But the placement is odd.
Could be helping hold the kickstand upright when you have it up, or something? Or it could indeed be for traffic light sensors but I would imagine you'd need a much much larger and stronger magnet. Or maybe not. I'm pretty inexperienced with this.

I'm curious to find out what that is. Maybe it is stock and it's on my bike too but I never noticed it! :doh2::nerd:

That is, in fact, a traffic light magnet. I've never tried one but some swear by them. I always wait once light cycle, and if it doesn't change, the law here says to treat it as a stop sign and proceed with caution.

That is, in fact, a traffic light magnet. I've never tried one but some swear by them. I always wait once light cycle, and if it doesn't change, the law here says to treat it as a stop sign and proceed with caution.

There is only one traffic light I know of in my area that does not sense me, so I avoid that area when on the bike.

The placement is what threw me off. I'm pretty sure it needs to be directed towards the ground to work so I'll probably move it. It definitely doesn't work as it is because I've had to run a couple lights before bc I've sat there for 5+ minutes without my side going green

If you still have the center stand, put it near one of the feet... then when at a light, push the stand down to the road and hold it there for at least 30 seconds. :D

Back