what is this noise?

ok so i’ve got a longer one, to start off i’ve got a 2005 fz1. recently after a long group ride the bike started making a weird tick, so i investigated and found a loose chain on exhaust side. some people said its normal, most said its not, i didn’t really know what to believe but i personally thought it to be the noise from the chain slapping around. i did some research and found the cct tightening trick so i tried that, did the whole thing and put it back together just to find it has a worse noise now. while i was in there i deleted the ais aswell, had the wires out and changed the oil. im kind of worried its rod knock

oil was a little questionable, but i must mention, second gear dogs are slipping so metalic looking oil is kind of expected at the moment.

back to timing, before i did anything i wanted to make paint marks of where the chain is up top, so i pulled cover then put it back on. after the first startup with the worse noise i suspected it might’ve been off a single tooth, so i pulled the valve cover and it was infact off a single tooth from that mark i made on intake cam prior to touching anything. i fixed that last night, retightened the chain with all slack on tensioner side (intake) and slapped it back together expecting it to be good. but my luck the bad knocking noise is still present.

i did tear a plug boot up top above the cover, and tore the wire out of another one by mistake so the slight chance that has anything to do with it? and i ended up just threading the nipples for the ais for the exhaust, incase that has any value to the topic.

i include 2 clips, one of the noise before i touched the timing, and one after. you can tell the difference.. im wondering your opinion on the noise, is it bad timing? maybe bent valves? definitely rod knock? i ran the bike for about 3 minutes total while it was sounding this bad to try and diagnose. thanks for your time.

before

after

Id do stuff that doesnt involve running it. First up a compression test. Id also be suspicious of chain and sprocket condition. How many miles on it?

Whets the deal with chain tensioners? Should a annual adjust be done? Ive been under the impression they are maintenance free

Id do stuff that doesnt involve running it. First up a compression test. Id also be suspicious of chain and sprocket condition. How many miles on it?

Whets the deal with chain tensioners? Should an annual adjust be done? Ive been under the impression they are maintenance free
doing compression tests today, preferably a leak down if i can get a machine for it. but yeah i saw online people unbolt the cct until they hear a click and then retighten to kinda “help” the tensioner. well i never heard a click so i ended up removing the whole thing and just resetting it (compressing it all the way while it’s out then holding it in with a screw driver until it’s reinstalled then let go of the screwdriver) but maybe a manual one would be better.

A comp test will tell you if you have valve issues, no need to get a leakdown tester. This is also a place where a cheapie endoscope would be handy, but the comp test will tell all. You biggest fear is every hole being way low and within 5% of each other.

Back