What happened to my tire store?!?!

Adrenaline Junkie

For the last 8 years I have made all but 2 of my motorcycle tire purchases from Tires Unlimited.com. They are in Dayton, have great prices and are close to me so standard ground shipping gets it here in two days. Now their web site appears to be gone! :jaw drop: I called their number and an electronic voice told me 'you cannot reach that number from your location". My location? What does that mean?

It appears that my favorite on line tire shop has gone out of business. This should be an excuse for me to start using my local bike shops and give them some business...........except this time last year I decided to get serious and bought some extra super spoons and a tire balancer and built myself a bead breaker. I have used these things about 3 times now and my cheap local tire source dries up. Does anybody know of another online tire dealer that is cheap and located on the East Coast? Or perhapes Tires Unlimited has a new name. That would be useful info also. I don't believe Iron Pony has the selection that Tires Unlimited did but I guess they will have to do for now.

I have used Tires Unlimited for 25 years. Excellent selection. Excellent prices. Excellent service. Excellent warranty. Always the right tires in stock. Drive up - drive out with four tires mounted, balanced - without appointments - within 30 minutes. It was a most excellent store. And very busy. I had bought 12 - 15 sets of tires the over the years.

I went for tires last December. Only one guy working there. No tires on display. No way to select tires. I asked for tires. The one guy got online and found A tire that might fit - priced it - told me he'd have to order it. No way to look at tread pattern - as I had always done before. I go around to the back of the building to the many bays they used to have working... Not open - not working - no big pile of old take-off used tires, as before.

It was very disturbing - very sad. An excellent business was almost dead.
I had been spoiled by their excellent service.

I then order a set of tires from The Tire Rack, on-line. Had them delivered. And had to make an appointment for installation. It took the regular tire store 1 1/2 hours to install.
I'm back to where I was before Tires Unlimited.

It was such an excellent business! And was very busy!

A victim of the economy?!

That kind of confirms my worst fears. Who knows what brought it down. The originator probably retired or sold it to someone who didn't know how much work is involved in maintaining a succesful business. Bad for the customers and worse for the employees.

I suppose it could be the economy, but you would think the low price leader would be the busiest guy around when money is tight, especially since tires don't quit wearing out just because we have less money.

I've bought several tires from BikeBandit.com and been pleased with how fast they get here. They have multiple warehouses, and I presume enough business that their stock doesn't sit around too long.

I've also purchased from tireexpress.com (I think that they're the same as Competition Accessories) with decent results.

Found them!

Sorry to stir up a dead beast - but I was just searching for these guys too! It sounds like (from online reviews) that their physical shop has closed up. Over at the YZF600r.com forums we had this same thread (or PMs...I'm not sure anymore) bop around. We were all confused.
But!
e-TiresUnlimited - Discount e-MotorcycleTires, ATV tires - Tire dealers
Just found that, and it seems to be the same place, now just with an "e"... Calling them tomorrow to find out what's up. They seem affiliated with Discount Motorcycle Tires & ATV Tires which I've never heard of. More later.

Last edited:
Back