what fz1 next generation need(just my opinion but I'm sure!)

Ridges

Hi guys,I know that someone of us can be bored reading from my post always the same theme but fz1-forum is the best place to show my opinion and screaming to yamaha looking at european contenders,not only at japan products,to don't wrong like with R109. I remember the enthusiastic declaration of presentation:R108 is enough evoluted to stay well on market,so this new R109 will resist for many years..fantastic but after few month the bmw s1000rr so full of electronic and with an unbelievable max power put a shadow on R1 and rsv4 now have all and more than bmw on electronic stuff with a superior equilibrium..
Anyway,I show you 2 images..the tuonoV4 the new limit of supernaked evolution..stronger that duca streetfighter but not as difficult to drive,with an 4cylinders engine,full of torque on low and medium rpm,the range that you use on road,like a twin
with the max power that only a 4 can has.. Yamaha cross plane was a great idea,not only marketing as someone that never understand says,the evidences came from a lot of testers that after trying R1 were very impressionate and talked about the best sport engine at the moment(on a wrong weight's distribution bike). It will fit perfectly on fz1! Than the electionic: new bike's generation show on this sector the real difference from hold bikes. Yamaha was first with an electronic throttle on market and japan always was at the top on that sector..maybe is not true(this is real marketing!)but tell to customers that this new bike has a terrify power but with abs(lighter than now!)traction control,antispinn,antiweeling,and 3 selection maps for all types of roads,you will have all under control,is the message that work now! The package is to expensive? Well look at the second image:Z750R a simply but smart idea born from listen to Kawa owners that were looking for something more on sportdrive(I don't want say to use the bike's full potential to don't make Norm angry). Fz1 just come on 3 differents configurations.N Fazer and Gt,so an sp type maybe more sportely and the possible to chose only abs or full electronic pack can offer the possibility to show on test magazine,a shocking supernaked that must be the flag for fz1 model. Look at car's market: mercedes S550AMG cost double respect S350cdi but is always a mercedes S class..No? ;-)

Last edited:
I am so lost.

If what you are saying is we need a Gen3, then I agree. However, I am in love with my G2 so I would not get a G3 anyways unless it included a flux capacitor.

What I would like to see from a Gen 3.

1) engine cross plane or prvious gen R1 not detuned.
2) exhaust this bike needs a dual exhaust to balance out the looks. left side looks longer than the right.

3) a slightly shorter wheel base only by a 1 inch.
4) Gas tank narrower where it meets the seat so your knees can point straight

The 07-08 engine with full power
56in wheelbase
new r6 type exhaust system
better seat

The crossplane engine is a pos.

I agree on the 07-08 engine. I have test ridden the new R1 and I'm not impressed with the cross-plane engine, especially below 3-4k rpm. Sounds like there are marbles rattling inside the engine...lol. It did sound pretty good once I got it over 7k rpm ;)

If what you are saying is we need a Gen3, then I agree. However, I am in love with my G2 so I would not get a G3 anyways unless it included a flux capacitor.

I am in with the 1.21 gigawatts of power!

And give it more fuel capacity as well, then we are talking! That is one GIANT thing I miss from my Gen1 since moving to the Gen2...always seem to be looking for a gas station.

I'm sure that if they went with the cross-plane for a new Gen bike, it would be better tuned (de-tuned) for the mid-range where the bike is expected to perform.

The only way the FZ1 will see that though is if you see an announcement for a new powerplant for the R1. The FZ1 only ever gets the R1 hand-me-downs. The R1 is Yamaha's prima-donna who gets all the new technology. ;)

For me... more fuel capacity or better mapping for MPG would be great. I understand though that in order to keep the balance of the FZ1 they added the tank cowl instead of using that as valuable fuel storage. It would have tipped the scales for front to back weight ratio and blown their critical 51% mark with the added fuel weight? Or do you think that 51% is measured with a dry machine and not the wet weight? I do not know...

Fuel distance, better rear shock, under-tail exhaust and Brembo brakes as a default and I'd be a lot happier!

What I would like to see from a Gen 3.

1) engine cross plane or prvious gen R1 not detuned.
2) exhaust this bike needs a dual exhaust to balance out the looks. left side looks longer than the right.

3) a slightly shorter wheel base only by a 1 inch.
4) Gas tank narrower where it meets the seat so your knees can point straight

You are always the best johnny!
Obviously on fz1 the crossplane engine need some dedicated modifications..but the last 4valves screamer r1 engine full power is not a good choice on fz1! One of my best friends have r1santander l.e. and until 7mil rpm there is absolutely nothing! Fz1 need more low rpm torque! And R109 have a weight problems from the crossplane that weight more than last plane. Yamaha's staff try all to balance it..the brake's discs are lighter than 07ed on street bike for ex. and when Ben became 09wc,the tank was moved under the seat..now sbk rules doesn't permit that kind of differences from stock model..

Just my preference, but I'd like to see something like a bit smaller 1200 to 1400cc version of the 2nd gen V-max combined with some of the best features of the 2nd gen FZ1. Better seat, more torque, unique styling with a larger fuel capacity. Racey looking, comfortable, nice handling street rod!

-R

I agree on the 07-08 engine. I have test ridden the new R1 and I'm not impressed with the cross-plane engine, especially below 3-4k rpm. Sounds like there are marbles rattling inside the engine...lol. It did sound pretty good once I got it over 7k rpm ;)

+1 07-08 livery with fly-by-wire, variable stacks & slipper clutch, adjustable pegs and R1 spec fully adjustable suspension, r6 tail, FZ8 risers & bars.

Just my preference, but I'd like to see something like a bit smaller 1200 to 1400cc version of the 2nd gen V-max combined with some of the best features of the 2nd gen FZ1. Better seat, more torque, unique styling with a larger fuel capacity. Racey looking, comfortable, nice handling street rod!

-R

Nice and original idea!
VMax V4 is a great and exclusive engine but to heavy on ours bikes(pull off some cc never change the engine structure..)and yamaha sport's bikes philosophy always defend the front4 in line cy engine and fz1(you can think different but..)is more sport bike that something else..

Thank's to everybody! Is great read yours opinions for me! This theme is very important for me,because I must leave my honey and stay with another maxinaked but absolutely don't want change brand!

3rd gen?

I dunno about everyone else but I love my 1st gen. With the Corban Beetles and Corban seat I can keep going with no complaints. However, a little more low-end would be nice but then again we can't have it all. Coming from a VTX1300 I have found my dream bike!

+1 07-08 livery with fly-by-wire, variable stacks & slipper clutch, adjustable pegs and R1 spec fully adjustable suspension, r6 tail, FZ8 risers & bars.

Hummm, sounds like the new Tuono to me.

I think the FZ family will continue to muddle along as an "intermediate" bike. I'd love to see Yamaha make a high end FZ but it won't happen.

I like these theoretical discussions of what we'd like to see. At this point, I'd just like to see one! With the fz8 in the line, why still make the fz1? If they make a new one, will it be more cc's or still be based off of the r1?

You all say you want the exact motor from the r1 but I disagree. I want my motor so that I can ride on the street happily. When I finally rode an r1 I was expecting gobs more power that would make me agree with the "I want the exact same motor" crowd but that just didn't happen. My gen1 motor is streetable and that's what I'm looking for in a street bike. The only "detuning" I see is making the r1 motors so that they are streetable.

At one point I thought I wanted cross plane too but the reality is for me to give up my gen 1, the next bike would have to be leaps and bounds better. Nothing I've ridden since has been. I want new tech. ABS brakes, traction control, ride by wire, whatever but new tech!

All valid points but Yamaha has taken a very conservative approach since these last few years of persistent losses. FZ1 will see an improvement in the next generation but I am still not sure if they will manage to get more grunt down low. Yamahas have always known to be top endy with almost no low end torque. For that look at the other 3 japs especially Honda and Suzuki.

All valid points but Yamaha has taken a very conservative approach since these last few years of persistent losses. FZ1 will see an improvement in the next generation but I am still not sure if they will manage to get more grunt down low. Yamahas have always known to be top endy with almost no low end torque. For that look at the other 3 japs especially Honda and Suzuki.

I'm agree and not.. From 2006 yamaha never touch fz1 and this is positive but genII was an important innovation from genI. From fazer(a classic always appreciate from experts riders)for first time derivated a naked version..from there every factory built a supernaked from their top sport bike,except kawa that alway did a z1000 with a no zx10 engine,and suzuki that built bking with hayabusa engine..honda decided to not built a new hornet 900 but used honda italia to create cb1000r,with blade engine,looking at italian market that was on change,from medium and from maxi sport's bikes,a lot of customers were moving to this type of bike,powerfull like a maxi but more comfortable..and,this is a very important point,very cool!
With new brutale,streetfighter,tuono(with new street triple,triumph decided to don't go on the road of electronic and stay on the corner of ''the original different''but all can change..),and bmw s1000naked is coming,now euro marks rules!..kawa for first understand and completely reinvented z1000.. Now is time for yamaha,the factory that more than any other introduced new concepts on 2 weels market,to show how a supernaked must be build!!

I concur with most of the comments. I think Yamaha need to what Kawasaki have done with the Z1000, make a touring faired version & a bad-ass naked. If you look at the super naked market the Europeans rule= Brutale, Tuono, Triple-speed & Ducati streetfighter, these bikes piss all over the japas. The competition has moved on and the FZ1 just doesn't cut it for 2011. I like my FZ1 but i have invested about $4-5K to make it the bike that can hang with the superbikes & euro-naked. In retrospect , it would have been easier and cheaper to have geared down & put a set of high bars on a R1?.

<SNIP> In retrospect , it would have been easier and cheaper to have geared down & put a set of high bars on a R1?.

There's a fella on FZ1OA that has just done that.
He has a 2010 R1 with LSL Touring clip-ons set that raise the bars 70mm and 10mm closer.
The LSL kit comes with a longer braided brake line and spacer for the front brake reservoir.
I think I will go this route next time. I miss riding full-on Sportsbikes and might try this one last time.

Back