What else might it be?

Ok, so I have the bike on the center stand and it shifts through all the gears without the clutch. Clutch pulled in will not stop the wheel from spinning. I put it in neutral, take it off the center stand, put it into 1st and the bike dies. I adjusted the clutch cable to spec and I bypassed the side stand and clutch switches and it still does it. What else might it be before I pull the clutch cover and check to see if the plug has popped out? Thanks for any help.

Looking at the pivot arm atop the clutch cover, do the two "dots" line up together correctly? Have you tried pulling the pivot by hand to see if she disengages?

Yes. There is a small punch dot that is lined up with the arrow. The pivot arm moves no problem when the clutch is pulled in. With the clutch pulled in I can't push the pivot arm in anymore.

That doesn't sound good then. It may be time to pull the cover for an inspection. How many miles on the bike, and is it the original clutch?

18,500 on the bike. Changed friction plates about a year and a half ago but have only put maybe 2000 miles on since. Bike has been sitting for about a year. Same thing caused friction plates to stick to pressure plates last time it sat for awile. If that's it then why would it shift through all the gears and spin the wheel faster in each gear on the center stand?

18,500 on the bike. Changed friction plates about a year and a half ago but have only put maybe 2000 miles on since. Bike has been sitting for about a year. Same thing caused friction plates to stick to pressure plates last time it sat for awile. If that's it then why would it shift through all the gears and spin the wheel faster in each gear on the center stand?

Oh, okay. Now it's making some sense. Sitting for a year may be more than enough time for the plates to stick again. If your on the centerstand, there is no resistance on the rear tire. I would set it on the stand again, start her up, get her going in first gear, sit on the bike and give it a little gas, then pull the clutch in and hit the rear brake at the same time to see if you might be able to break it free. When you pull in the clutch and hit the rear brake, keep the gas going a wee bit.

Oh, okay. Now it's making some sense. Sitting for a year may be more than enough time for the plates to stick again. If your on the centerstand, there is no resistance on the rear tire. I would set it on the stand again, start her up, get her going in first gear, sit on the bike and give it a little gas, then pull the clutch in and hit the rear brake at the same time to see if you might be able to break it free. When you pull in the clutch and hit the rear brake, keep the gas going a wee bit.

Right on. I will try that as soon as I get back to the house.

The worse that could happen is that she'll shut off again.

And she did! Looks like I'm tearing into the clutch first thing after work Wed. Any suggestions as to what springs I should get as I have not ever changed them and might as well while I'm in there. I'm going with O.E.M. on the friction plates and will only change pressure plates if they are warped. Thanks!

And she did! Looks like I'm tearing into the clutch first thing after work Wed. Any suggestions as to what springs I should get as I have not ever changed them and might as well while I'm in there. I'm going with O.E.M. on the friction plates and will only change pressure plates if they are warped. Thanks!

That sucks! I was hoping to see you write that it broke free. Unless your doing track days or aggressive riding everyday, I'd just go with stock springs and stock plates. These clutches last a super long time as is. I would however, run the bike every so often if it looks like she's gonna sit for any extended period of time in the future. Let me know what you find when you crack her open.

That sucks! I was hoping to see you write that it broke free. Unless your doing track days or aggressive riding everyday, I'd just go with stock springs and stock plates. These clutches last a super long time as is. I would however, run the bike every so often if it looks like she's gonna sit for any extended period of time in the future. Let me know what you find when you crack her open.

Right on. I will let you know what I find. Ya she's gonna be my every day rider for awile. I'm gonna put some heavy duty springs on her as I tend to be an aggressive rider esp. now that she has AK-20s and a BMW s1000RR shock with a CBR 1000 600 lb/in spring and all the other fun mods i.e. Ivan's carb rejet, carb crossover, air box removal, ais removal, full wrapped Muzzy exaust, Holeshot fork brace, Holeshot steering damper(not pictured), SS brake lines, ceramic brake pads, coolant bypass, Sargent seat, new chain and front/ rear sprockets down and up, new rear sets, Walo air horn and took all of her clothes off and blacked her out! I'm sure I missed something. Ah hell... Take a look:

The clutch plates are dried up and sticking after sitting so long. If you want an easy way out throw 3-4 extra quarts of oil in the bike. Filled right up to the point it wants to over flow. Now zip tie the clutch lever to the handlebar and let it sit for a day or 2. The fiber plates will soak up the oil and should be fine.

Just use a cheap oil because your draining it, if the bikes been sitting long enough for the plates to dry up it's time for a change anyway.

DONT START THE BIKE WITH THE OIL OVER FILLED.

The clutch plates are dried up and sticking after sitting so long. If you want an easy way out throw 3-4 extra quarts of oil in the bike. Filled right up to the point it wants to over flow. Now zip tie the clutch lever to the handlebar and let it sit for a day or 2. The fiber plates will soak up the oil and should be fine.

Just use a cheap oil because your draining it, if the bikes been sitting long enough for the plates to dry up it's time for a change anyway.

Ah yes I remember hearing about that trick before. I'm just going to open it up and give it a good inspection and replace what is needed as this will be my daily commuter. Thanks for the info!

Thats a great trick Googan! Never thought of that. Good deal!

Locked up clutch

i have run an older CBX for a number years-The clutch not releasing is a normal situation after a winter of down time. a friend of mine had a similar problem. he purchased an 11000f that had been sitting iin a basement for three years. what we felt was that when that the oil created a suction effect on the cluth plates.
We warmed up the motor- switched off engaged first gear pulled in the clutch
after a couple of hundred feet it would start to be normal.
I had this situation with both of my cbx's. I hope shis might help you.
good luck

i have run an older CBX for a number years-The clutch not releasing is a normal situation after a winter of down time. a friend of mine had a similar problem. he purchased an 11000f that had been sitting iin a basement for three years. what we felt was that when that the oil created a suction effect on the cluth plates.
We warmed up the motor- switched off engaged first gear pulled in the clutch
after a couple of hundred feet it would start to be normal.
I had this situation with both of my cbx's. I hope shis might help you.
good luck

Right on. I'm going to pull the pressure and friction plates and soak them in oil over night and reinstall them to see the results but will still buy new friction plates and I think I will by some heavy duty springs and install them this weekend. Man I want to ride!

Back