What did you do to your Non-FZ1 motorcycle today.

My mechanic managed to fit me in this week and I got my cam chain tensioners replaced. I'm glad it was him and not me, it was not a pleasant job. The bike is back to normal, no more awful rattle & tick and I'm ready to roll

My mechanic managed to fit me in this week and I got my cam chain tensioners replaced. I'm glad it was him and not me, it was not a pleasant job. The bike is back to normal, no more awful rattle & tick and I'm ready to roll

Good deal !!
Does your bike have four or eight cams ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Four but the cams are variable

honda-vfr800-v4-engine.jpg

Here's a fun video showing how it engages
[video=youtube;q24D0xv49d4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q24D0xv49d4[/video]

Last edited:
Tires bearings and testing

Installed new tires front and rear on Friday evening after work. The front bearings were getting crunchie so on Saturday morning I bought new ones and mounted up the front wheel. The delay gave me the chance to clean a bit.

Waiting%20for%20wheel%20install.jpg

Waiting%20for%20wheel%20bearings.jpg

Waiting for bearings.

2015%20-%201_2.jpg

Front Mitas E-09 installed. Great in the dirt, gravel and dry pavement with a bit more vibration and howl than the TKC80 that gave me 12,770 kms!

New%20Rear%20Mitas%20E-07.jpg

Rear Mitas E-07. The last one gave me 20,000 kms!!

Today was testing time;

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

Green Laning done, I stopped at the OHV area west of home for a bit of hill-climb practise. These tires hook up so nice I could just putt up the hills.

IMG_0147.jpg

And lastly hit a milestone on the way home,

IMG_0162.jpg

A liitle adventure close to home.

None

Hey Oldschool, ever have any spoke issues ?

Nope, Why do you ask?

I clean my spokes very frequently with a micro fiber cloth, and over the winter with a bit of metal polish. I check them for tightness by listening for difference in tone when I tap them with a screwdriver. Never had an issue yet.

Cool, some of the Super Tenere folks say they've had em loosen up. There off road riding, not me, street bike. Keep that thing looking clean Man...

Totally different system of lacing and rim on the Tenere'.

Supertensfrontspokesetup.jpg

Noet the vertical rings on the rear wheel and the 90degree spoke heads

Supertensfrontwheel.jpg

Tenere's front wheel with vertical ring and angled heads on the spokes. This is so they can run tubless tires

The KTM uses a traditional type spoke rim with "Super-Laced" spokes (refers to the way the spokes are arranged).

fancyKTMsprocket.jpg

You need to run tubes, but I have changed enough tube-type tires by hand now that it is no issue for me. The benefits to a tube tire off-road is that even a gash that is irreparable can still accept a fresh tube to get you home.

Last edited:
instruments blanking

Awhile ago a member here posted about His instruments blanking out. For the past year or more, mine have occasionally done the same and research told me it was a circuit board problem inside the Unit. Not so, as it turns out. I, as many know am a bit of a clean fanatic, not that many of my riding pictures would indicate mind you.

Leaving work the other day while the bike was warming up, I noticed a bit of dirt that I had missed down by the right side of the steering head and reached in to remove it. In doing so I touched the wire cluster from the ignition switch that disappears into the frame, which caused the bike to shut off. A second try to confirm and it did the same. Restarted and twisting the bars stop to stop had no affect, so I rode home and pulled the right fairing.

Cutting the shrink tubing off, I discovered that one of the wires an inch below the bottom of the ignition switch was nearly broken off with just a few strands of copper remaining. The other wire was not much better. Half an hour, a bit of soldering, and some shrink tubing later and the problem was gone.

My dash doesn't randomly blank out, and my clock keeps time again.
It seems that voltage variations are a problem for circuit board type instrument clusters even when it isn't enough to affect the engine. The wire coating (rubber) tends to harden over time, especially when subjected to repeated heating and cooling cycles.

Worth checking on your FZ as well if you have any similar issues.

Last edited:
Went to my first ride to eat with the Honda ST group . Went to Shamokin and at at skeeters BBQ . I got to ride on the PA Dragon !!
Me and Weezi put 300 miles on met some great people and ate good food .
LIFE IS GOOD !!
0e686101985f6b15bb113fe17bb01523.jpg
faf5762715ee20c565225f5377ed2531.jpg
5aa43cdc6ae0583473ce8348bfa2d572.jpg
10e818ddd2e3d3f41cf26641bdc0598d.jpg
2eb4e59df9960cbf8faffb269f5820aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back