What did you do to your FZ today?

I replaced the aftermarket "round" mirrors that came on my 2009 with some that were closer to my old bike. The round mirrors are slightly convex and I found that I couldn't see very far behind me, which was annoying (to say the least) when I was leading a group.

Before:
2009Mirror_Before.jpg

After:
2009Mirror_After.jpg
(I see I got photobombed by the dog!)

I had an extra set of stock bar ends that a friend and I machined down to fit inside the mirror-mounting brackets. The idea wasn't original. I had a similar set (that I bought from this forum!) on my 2008 before I crashed it. We had a scrap piece of aluminum that we kept turning down until the bracket fit, then got a measurement off that and did the bar ends. This made it a bit easier since we didn't want to remove the ends from the lathe until we were "sure" that they were the right diameter (inside of the mounting bracket isn't truly circular). The fit is very tight and I'm looking forward to seeing a little better when I take the bike out!

My first experience with a lathe was time-consuming, but educational! I always find it more rewarding to do the fabrication myself when I can, and picking up a new skill (or at least the basics) is a nice bonus. Turns out that my employer has a DIY shop that I never knew about! Now I just need to figure out how to get access without having to rely on a co-worker to sneak me in.

That's exactly hoe I mounted mine. I also tried the round ones but couldn't judge how far back vehicles were. Much prefer the shaped ones and the mounting is rock solid.
I cheated though and had mine machined down.

started it for the first time with the new exhaust and ivans flash

iphone camera isnt focusing for some reason but ill get better video when i actually pick up the bike.... enjoy!

[video=youtube;b7Bodg5OhJQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Bodg5OhJQ[/video]

Did some general maintenance over the weekend. Brake fluid flushed, chain got a good cleaning. Replaced the spark plugs.

While I was at it, I finally bit the bullet and pulled the ECU. It's on its way to Ivan. :sinister:

While I was at it, I finally bit the bullet and pulled the ECU. It's on its way to Ivan. :sinister:

I cant wait to ride mine for the first time after the flash.... im sure itll be a night and day difference with the power restrictions removed - but i also dropped a tooth on the front sprocket and have a slip on now so everything should be even more mindblowing! good luck with yours! be sure to post what you think :)

WOW!!! What a difference. I ordered some Tork Xpro speakers from Canada a couple of weeks ago to replace the tinny little originals for my SENA SMH5 helmet comms set. I got around to fitting them today. As I type this I've got my helmet on enjoying some tunes at a much higher quality than the OEM SENA speakers could ever hope to provide. I can hear bass guitars again and I've got more volume range to play with.

I just ordered the speaker elements:
Helmet Speakers

Pic shows the size difference between the old SMH5 speakers and the new Tork XPro jobbies. The Torks are also about twice as thick as the SENAs and they only just fit in the space of my Bell helmet. Will road test when it cools down a bit.

Speakers_zpssdgt81lc.jpg

Last edited:
I've got the Tork X2, I am interested to hear your opinion on the XPro when you get them out in the wind!

Went for a ride with the XPros. Much clearer than the SENA originals. Not really any louder but much more pleasant to listen to. Even with earplugs in, I could hear the music okay up to about 90km/h. By 100km/h with plugs, you could barely hear the music but Googlemaps instructions from the iPhone come through loud enough. End of the day, I'm very happy with the new speakers.

I have tried various earphones in the past, including a moulded set but they quickly become uncomfortable, sound odd when the air seal breaks and I think they are a lot less safe than the speakers and regular earplugs. The music is just for commuting and I don't use plugs for that. Out on the highways and touring I want the Satnav instructions.

My rims are finally arriving today:thewave:

Shipment Date/Date De L'Envoi 2015/01/26
Expected Delivery Date/Date De Livraison Prévue 2015/01/27

Santa never said they had a 6 week lead time, but that is now water under the bridge:Rockon:

Un-packing pics to come!

My rims are finally arriving today:thewave:

Shipment Date/Date De L'Envoi 2015/01/26
Expected Delivery Date/Date De Livraison Prévue 2015/01/27

Santa never said they had a 6 week lead time, but that is now water under the bridge:Rockon:

Un-packing pics to come!

What rims did you get?

Carrozzeria V-Track Red anodized. I couldn't find a pic of a 2009 FZ1 with red V-Tracks, but an R1 is close enough.

Attachments

• hint.jpg
    hint.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 168
  • YAMGallery116_945223734.jpg
    YAMGallery116_945223734.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Back