What did you do to your FZ today?

Went for a 350km summer ride on surprisingly quiet roads. Scraped the right peg on a tight-ish corner on a great section of road none as 10-Mile (16kilometres of fun twisty road). Also the first time I've ever scraped a peg on any bike.

When Sydney riders say they are going for Broke, this is often the road they take. The other side of Broke also has some fun roads.
10Mile.jpg

Went for a 350km summer ride on surprisingly quiet roads. Scraped the right peg on a tight-ish corner on a great section of road none as 10-Mile (16kilometres of fun twisty road). Also the first time I've ever scraped a peg on any bike.

When Sydney riders say they are going for Broke, this is often the road they take. The other side of Broke also has some fun roads.
View attachment 21816

Did you do the Putty/Wollombi/Old Road loop? It's an awesome ride, especially on a weekday.

The rotor bolts are locktited in maybe a tad of heat?

I was wondering the same thing. I have a HF Heat Gun at home. I'll try some heat but still must wait for the T40 Torx to arrive. I bought an "impact" one cause the crappy one I had twisted at the tip when I went to remove the first one. I guess it pays sometimes to buy quality stuff cause you only pay once!

I was wondering the same thing. I have a HF Heat Gun at home. I'll try some heat but still must wait for the T40 Torx to arrive. I bought an "impact" one cause the crappy one I had twisted at the tip when I went to remove the first one. I guess it pays sometimes to buy quality stuff cause you only pay once!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will need some heat Billy , I used a small propane torch , the electric heat gun might work but it will take along time . Good luck

Did you heat the bolts themselves or the surrounding area? I like the heat gun on 1500 watts. I don't want to warp anything on the rotor.

Billy,

They usually use red locktite on rotor bolts. Put the propane torch to the bolt. Usually you see a small puff of smoke when the red locktite releases. You would have just wrecked the bolt no matter how good the socket was without heating it first.

Don't worry about getting it too hot unless you are using map gas, propane won't hurt it.

Last edited:
Billy,

They usually use red locktite on rotor bolts. Put the propane torch to the bolt. Usually you see a small puff of smoke when the red locktite releases. You would have just wrecked the bolt no matter how good the socket was without heating it first.

Don't worry about getting it too hot unless you are using map gas, propane won't hurt it.

Thanks Lee. I'll bring a torch kit home from work today. As for the tip, I'll need to pick one up regardless cause the one I had is now useless. Thanks to everyone for the tips!

Replaced the back tire with only 5k on it.
After a 230 mile ride through NAPA on 11/23, my bike seemed heavier than normal, but I ignored it. A week later I went to ride it to work, but the back Conti Motion was almost flat. That night the gauge said 20psi in the front and 5psi in the back. I probably should check them monthly and not when I buy them. I found a small nail in the back with the head broken off. I topped off both tires and left it on the center stand. When I took it to the dealer the front was still 40psi, the back was 35. Have to stay on the monthly tires, chain and fluids. I have gotten lazy only riding it twice a week 7 miles to work. It is incredibly easy to maneuver the bike in my driveway with 36psi in both tires. DUH! The service rep said my next upgrade for stickier tires for my commuter should be Pilot 4s.
:surrender:
Flat Replaced.jpg

Billy,

Yep what he said.

Did you do the Putty/Wollombi/Old Road loop? It's an awesome ride, especially on a weekday.
Did Putty, Bylong Valley Way and Bells Line on Saturday. Monday was Old Road, Wollombi, Broke, 10 Mile and back the same way. 1000km with a lot of fun bitumen in those 2 days.

Did Putty, Bylong Valley Way and Bells Line on Saturday. Monday was Old Road, Wollombi, Broke, 10 Mile and back the same way. 1000km with a lot of fun bitumen in those 2 days.

Clocking up the Ks hey. Bylong Valley is a good ride. I used to ride when it was unsealed, lots better now.

Stopped by Harbor Freight and Cycle Gear today with a friend of mine to pick up a few things. I bought the Bead Breaker, Bearing Removal Kit, Tire Spoons, and from Cycle Gear I got some Rim Protectors. I got the T40 Torx Impact Bit in the mail Saturday so I thought I was all set to get these rims ready for the Powder Coater........Wrong! I heated the first bolt with the torch and removed the first bolt easily. Heated the second bolt and went to remove it and snapped the tip of the Torx Bit inside the bolt head. So I guess I may not be powder coating my wheels after all. :(

This was todays haul from H.F. and C.G.
IMG_20141227_161510_zpse1e5abef.jpg

Bead Breaker assembled
IMG_20141227_183557_zps932d5fb6.jpg

Rear Bead Broken
IMG_20141227_183542_zpsd5ac9ca4.jpg

Broken Torx Bit inside the bolt head.
IMG_20141227_183520_zpscfdc6303.jpg

I'll have to break out the extractor set to see if I can remove the tip of the Torx Bit tomorrow.

Billy I'd had many Yamaha rotor bolts do that. Regardless of how careful I am one will strip. What I typically do is drill the entire head off then use vise grips to remove the rest of it. This is after the rotor is off. Give that you don't want to reuse brake rotor bolts it's a wash. If it is really stubborn I'll fit it with flame to melt the Loctite.

Billy I'd had many Yamaha rotor bolts do that. Regardless of how careful I am one will strip. What I typically do is drill the entire head off then use vise grips to remove the rest of it. This is after the rotor is off. Give that you don't want to reuse brake rotor bolts it's a wash. If it is really stubborn I'll fit it with flame to melt the Loctite.

Thanks Pete. I actually just lightly tapped the head of the bolt and the piece of the Torx Bit fell right out, no stripping or anything so I'm still good. I did use the torch on the bolt prior to trying to remove it but what I think I did wrong was I should have used an "impact" gun with the "impact" bit rather than a breaker bar. They are meant to "jar" the bolt loose with shock rather than slowly twisting them with a ratchet. I'm going to do the same thing again with a new bit but this time I will heat with the torch, then use my Snap-On Impact Gun to break it free. Once I see it move I'll stop and bring it out the rest of the way with a ratchet. I can't for the life of me know why Yamaha would use Red Locktite on something that may need replacing such as a rotor. Doesn't make sense to me. I've only ever used Blue Locktite on rotor and sprocket bolts and never had one come loose.

Oh and P.S. Yes I'm not using these bolts again. I'm picking up a set of Stainless hardware to replace them. Tony has a set on his and they still look brand new.

Hope you get it sorted,

I went for a good 3 hour ride which was awesome to get out on the twisties again. I really needed that.

I Came home and went to pull the Exup servo and realised there is already a servo eliminator plug in there.... the guys at the Yami dealership put it in when they disconnected the cables and put the GYTR carbon pipe on before I took delivery. All the cables are tucked up and out of the way. Now all I have to do is get rid of the brand new one I have (wish I'd checked before I ordered it) and pull the servo out of the bike. Is pulling the servo as simple as removing the battery and undoing the one nut at the top?

Back