What did you do to your FZ today?

Installed the T-Rex Frame Sliders (these make decent highway pegs) yesterday and the Zero Gravity Touring Windshield after the ride to Leesburg bikefest today.

Very impressed with both products so far.
:Rockon:

Removed finally the stock exhaust and installed the LeoVince GPPro EvoII.
I had to remove the main standard as I was unable to remove the bolts from the sidestantard to allow me to remove one of the main bolts to put the provided stop in place

057b.jpg

stock exhaust removed
055.jpg

new exhaust mounted
060-1.jpg

056-3.jpg

058-2.jpg

took a short video to capture the new sound, alltought the vid does not justify the full sound (with db-killer)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0JNYocSPLQ"]YouTube - 061[/ame]

I appreciate it more after riding several bikes at the Kawasaki demo last weekend. I didn't ride anything that made me want to get rid of Baby. The zx14 was a blast but I don't know how anybody finds that riding position comfortable. The Ninja 1000 was okay but not head and shoulders above my gen1 that it would make me want to jump ship. I really liked how narrow it was though. The Ninja 650 is the perfect first bike for somebody who is not like me. It's nice and light and could be a hoot on some twisty roads if it had a little more guts. The Custom 900 cruiser was fun and the only bike I thought I would purchase at some point. It was very sure, even with the 90 front tire. The Vulcan 900 LT with windshield was so bad that I didn't even want to ride My bike home! The front end was twitchy, the brakes were bad, the clutch was hard to pull, I think the bike even had a Nascar push! Kawasaki should be ashamed of that bike. Good thing the ZX14 was the last bike I rode at the Demo. It carries it's weight well and handles like a dream. A demo ride is not the place to understand what it's power is, but it was very well mannered.

Yep, I love my FZ1 and wouldn't trade it for nothing. The best part of my bike has been the little changes I've made over the last 3 years and 8 months I've owned it to make it comfortable for me.

Now, let's see if I say the same thing after the Yamaha Demo next month!

Last edited:
Today, I left her home on a beautiful sunny day (although a bit cold with today's HIGH of 42 degrees) and I took my wifes slammed "Purple People Eater" on a more "spirited" shakedown cruise to work. I didn't push it too hard due to the changed dynamics but was able to get a feel for how well it handles when lowered. Well, it drops into the corners quite nicely! :D I have a few adjustments to make when I get home. I need to move the clutch friction zone in a bit, adjust the throttle freeplay (far too much!) and the rear brake which seems to take quite a pointed toe to fully engage. Overall, it handles VERY well for a bike that was lowered A LOT!

Just did my 11000km service with oil change and Yamaha filter with a new o-ring on my GYTR billet oil cap and new safety tie wire. I use Castrol 10/40 Magnatec oil.

Luke, I might have to do that rear shock mod when I do the front end conversion!! Looks great.

Yesterday, I went to Home Depot and got a BAN to serve as my front axle tool.
DSCF4626.JPG

Then I took the tires off and my big brother dropped them off at the shop to have the BT-23's put on. While the tires were off last night, I cleaned the swingarm and undertray area. First time I've done that since I bought the bike. It was really nasty back there. I can't see getting one of those pretty undertails and riding the bike!

DSCF4619.JPG
DSCF4620.JPG

For some reason, I didn't take a pic of the clean rear end!

This morning my brother picked the tires up and I put them back on the bike and swapped out my rear brake caliper for one that wasn't rashed.
DSCF4623.JPG
DSCF4625.JPG

I still need to bleed the rear brakes and lube the chain, which I'll do tomorrow.

I wanted to go for a short ride but the skies look like God is about to bring down some judgement on somebody so I just rode around the block to make sure I have everything back together right.

Last edited:
Luke, I might have to do that rear shock mod when I do the front end conversion!! Looks great.

Yesterday, I went to Home Depot and got a BAN to serve as my front axle tool.
DSCF4626.JPG

Then I took the tires off and my big brother dropped them off at the shop to have the BT-23's put on. While the tires were off last night, I cleaned the swingarm and undertray area. First time I've done that since I bought the bike. It was really nasty back there. I can't see getting one of those pretty undertails and riding the bike!

DSCF4619.JPG
DSCF4620.JPG

For some reason, I didn't take a pic of the clean rear end!

This morning my brother picked the tires up and I put them back on the bike and swapped out my rear brake caliper for one that wasn't rashed.
DSCF4623.JPG
DSCF4625.JPG

I still need to bleed the rear brakes and lube the chain, which I'll do tomorrow.

I wanted to go for a short ride but the skies look like God is about to bring down some judgement on somebody so I just rode around the block to make sure I have everything back together right.

Looking good Tamer! Your gonna love those 023's. Take my word for it. I'm loving mine. By the way, what is a "Ban"?? It looks like a plumb bob to me from the picture.

BAN = Big Ass Nut. I had to get it from where they keep the threaded rod. I put a 1/2 x 2 bolt in it just cuz.

I'm really excited about the 023's. Only problem I have now is after the changing the tires the handlebars are crooked again. The bike tracks true so I didn't think the forks were tweaked but after putting the tire on again and getting crooked bars back I'm wondering. I might need to move my r1 conversion up.

BAN = Big Ass Nut. I had to get it from where they keep the threaded rod. I put a 1/2 x 2 bolt in it just cuz.

I'm really excited about the 023's. Only problem I have now is after the changing the tires the handlebars are crooked again. The bike tracks true so I didn't think the forks were tweaked but after putting the tire on again and getting crooked bars back I'm wondering. I might need to move my r1 conversion up.

Oh cool. I see, it's a 1/2x2 coupling nut with a 1/2" threaded bolt in it. And to think, I have a ton of those at work that we sell. Thanks for that idea!

I'm trying to think why your bars would be tweaked????

With some help I installed my Trackside heat strips and new Progrip gel-grips. I am a novice electrician, so I was a little nervous going into it. With the help of an extra pair of hands, the install was fairly easy.

Now I just have to wait six months to try them out.

P.S. - I used soapy water and a thin screwdriver to get the grips off and the hairspray method to install the new grips. Both were extremely easy.

i changed my oil to motul 5100 ester. is the k&n oil filter worth the money?

i changed my oil to motul 5100 ester. is the k&n oil filter worth the money?

I use the same oil, and K&N Filters. Most will say NO, the K&Ns are overpriced. I get a decenct deal from one of the local dealers, and buy a few at a time. I like them for the simple fact that I can slip a long ratchet extention (wobble head) between the pipes and use a socket directly on the filter. I also use a small torque wrench and tighten per service manual specs. My mechanic friend always gives me grief about my "fussiness", but I don't care. Value is a personal thing. Will the K&Ns make your bike last longer?, I doubt it. The $3 Wally World filters will probably work just as well. It's your money, and your call. The K&N filter cost me the same as lunch at A&W would and are better for my bike than the Burger, Fries and Rootbeer would be for me! Perceived Value is a subjective thing.

Hows that for a long winded Yes. (it's snowing and I'm bored, sorry) :2cents:

What did I do to my bike today? Nothing, other than glance over at it's cover as I went out to shovel snow again!

Last edited:
I use the same oil, and K&N Filters. Most will say NO, the K&Ns are overpriced. I get a decenct deal from one of the local dealers, and buy a few at a time. I like them for the simple fact that I can slip a long ratchet extention (wobble head) between the pipes and use a socket directly on the filter. I also use a small torque wrench and tighten per service manual specs. My mechanic friend always gives me grief about my "fussiness", but I don't care. Value is a personal thing. Will the K&Ns make your bike last longer?, I doubt it. The $3 Wally World filters will probably work just as well. It's your money, and your call. The K&N filter cost me the same as lunch at A&W would and are better for my bike than the Burger, Fries and Rootbeer would be for me! Perceived Value is a subjective thing.

Hows that for a long winded Yes. (it's snowing and I'm bored, sorry) :2cents:

What did I do to my bike today? Nothing, other than glance over at it's cover as I went out to shovel snow again!

Wow Lee! I am so sorry that some of us here are still using the "S" word!

The White Plague

Wow Lee! I am so sorry that some of us here are still using the "S" word!

Yes mother nature is torturing us with more of the White Plague. Next weekend is supposed to be nice.:wazzup:

I'm planning on taking off the FZ's wheels so they can get new shoes. Either PR-2s or PR-3s depending on stock, and price. Then I will get the good bike out for a run.

Back